Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For my dissertation, I did an in depth literature review on a particular topic. This topic now appears as part of an unrelated assignment for another module. My literature review that I did applies itself directly to the question: almost word for word.

Can I copy and paste it from my diss? It is my work after all. It is all referenced correctly to the journals/sources I used.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the quick bump but I'm in work mode so want to get started! Need to know

ReputationRep:
    My university doesn't like students re-using old work, regardless of whether it's their own or not. So consult tutors/handbooks you've been given before you do anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You can't copy it, you would be plagiarising yourself.

If the lit review is really strong, then you may be able to quote a few lines an reference yourself (perhaps with the lit review in the appendix, as it will not have been published)

But deffo, you can not do a copy-paste job, and even the alternative that i suggested is only applicable in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you can, maybe if you reference it, ive heard that u can plaguirse urself..maybe best to check with your tutor

ReputationRep:
    How can I plagerise myself? Its my work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I know, it's crazy, I can't really understand it myself.

If the new assignment is identical to what you wrote in your dissertation, speak to the lecturer about it and see if there's a way round it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    I know, it's crazy, I can't really understand it myself.

If the new assignment is identical to what you wrote in your dissertation, speak to the lecturer about it and see if there's a way round it.
    Thats the thing... I have to do another lit review on the same topic. So if I do it again it will still be similar anyway.

If you ask what is 2 + 2 then you will always get 4 :o:

ReputationRep:
    As someone said above, its plagerising your own work.
    They want you to work independently of each assignment and think for each assigment differently, so while its ok to base it on some of your past work, i would try to incorporate some new points, rearrange some bits, etc.
    Yes i agree its stupid but its the rules

ReputationRep:
    I'm still going to use the same references. I'll re-structure and re-word it. Like I said, if you add 2 + 2 then you will always get 4.

Plagerising yourself? Insane. i'm pretty sure I'd give me permission to reproduce my own work.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're taking the term 'plagerising your own work' too strongly, they don't actually mean plagerising in the typical sense - they mean you can't (it sounds like in your case) use work you have previously done for a different piece of work as the university will want to see more from you and want to see you use different ideas etc.

But I do agree with you, even that seems strange to me that you can't re-structure etc like you said, as long as it relates to the topic and is good enough then I think it should be allowed but it's best to check.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your lecturer/tutor!!

It may be worth you re-writing and re-wording your work so you have all the same concepts/ideas/arguments etc. but it's not an exact copy so they can't complain!

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, you can. Have a chat to the lecturer/s concerned and see what can be done about it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm still going to use the same references. I'll re-structure and re-word it. Like I said, if you add 2 + 2 then you will always get 4.

Plagerising yourself? Insane. i'm pretty sure I'd give me permission to reproduce my own work.
    The issue universities have with you reproducing your own work isn't just that it's, strictly speaking, plagiarism, it's also that you'd be submitting it for assessment twice, i.e. you'd be getting two module's worth of credits for what was really just one and a half module's worth of work.
    In this particular case, it might be worth talking to your tutor and asking whether / how you might be able to salvage some of it (after all, you have done the work and it's relevant to the question, so it seems a bit silly not to use it at all) without running the risk of getting penalised for it.*

*I suppose unless your assignments are submitted electronically, the risk of someone actually spotting similarities between this literature review and the one you did for the other assignment isn't actually that great, but it's still not really worth taking.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's stupid...I'm doing Law and we've all been warned that they're really strict on self-plagiarising...doesn't make much sense but I guess it's like Hobnob said, they have more of a problem with you just re-using your work for credit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    The issue universities have with you reproducing your own work isn't just that it's, strictly speaking, plagiarism, it's also that you'd be submitting it for assessment twice, i.e. you'd be getting two module's worth of credits for what was really just one and a half module's worth of work.
    In this particular case, it might be worth talking to your tutor and asking whether / how you might be able to salvage some of it (after all, you have done the work and it's relevant to the question, so it seems a bit silly not to use it at all) without running the risk of getting penalised for it.*

*I suppose unless your assignments are submitted electronically, the risk of someone actually spotting similarities between this literature review and the one you did for the other assignment isn't actually that great, but it's still not really worth taking.
    One is my dissertation so I presume that is and my tutor has already said he checks all assignments against the electronic database thing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.