Guantanamo bay Watch

This discussion is closed.
HTale
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
There are several factors here. one is the question of whether people were fighting for the taliban, whether they are dangerous terrorists who need to be imprisoned for a long time, and how they should be treated while people find out which applies. This has nothing to do with human rights. Human rights apply to everyone, regardless of what they have done, just because they are human.
Finally, my fellow voice of reason speaks
Goody1
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Anyone that is prepared to target innocent civilains simply becasue they dont follow a certain religion arnt humans but animals who deserve to be treated as such.
Pepaim
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you think everyone who believes that is a terrorist you think a great many muslims are terrorists. The best we can manage there is mutual toleration, and, even then, only on a basis of power, i fear.
Its not just muslims who dont like homosexuality etc, many christians are just as hardline. All im saying is we seem to suffer from misunderstanding at the moment. Maybe more traditional muslims would want to see a strict islamic state but these people are decreasing and are mainly of the older generation or young radicals. The majority are moderates, just as in christianity.
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Goody1)
People arnt arrested for no reason, dont believe everythign you read in the press, do you think the government discloses all the information relating to why they were arressted?
The question ois not whether people are arrested for no reason, but whether people are arrested for good reasons. Convincing evidence against them is a good reason to arrest them. Any other reason is not.
Goody1
Report 13 years ago
If peoepl are implicated form intelligence gathered then they should be followed to see anythign further cna be gathered if theynto they should be arressted and questioned wether they be innocent or not
HTale
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vienna)
Osama probably believes I will rot in whatever his idea of hell is, for my infidel sins. Forgive me if I dont take it as being fact because he says so.
I dont believe this! You are now insisting that these detainees are lying? As I mentioned earlier, Im weary of some of your tactics and I believe you are doing that right now. If what you are saying is what you believe in...then I think its best that you should switch off the computer sit down for a minute and contemplate what you have just said.

(Original post by Vienna)
Was it constant? Was it punching? Was it disciplinary?
Kicking, punching etc. for not moving quickly enough in line, was how one of the detainees put it. Sometimes it was just a kick or a punch when the detainees got inspected at the beginning of the day. Having said that, not all the detainees recieved this treatement, but a sizeable number did.
Goody1
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HTale)
I dont believe this! You are now insisting that these detainees are lying? As I mentioned earlier, Im weary of some of your tactics and I believe you are doing that right now. If what you are saying is what you believe in...then I think its best that you should switch off the computer sit down for a minute and contemplate what you have just said.

Kicking, punching etc. for not moving quickly enough in line, was how one of the detainees put it. Sometimes it was just a kick or a punch when the detainees got inspected at the beginning of the day. Having said that, not all the detainees recieved this treatement, but a sizeable number did.
No-one will ever no what happens in Guantanamo bay all we cna do is assume view of ex-detainees are bound to to be bias and over-exaggerated so therefore all we do is assume.
unfinished sympathy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No-one will ever no what happens in Guantanamo bay all we cna do is assume view of ex-detainees are bound to to be bias and over-exaggerated so therefore all we do is assume.
exactly, everyone makes assumptions!
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Pepaim)
The majority are moderates, just as in christianity.
Are they? There appears to be evidence that muslims are becoming more extreme in their interpretation of the koran actually.
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It is not only ex-detainees who have reported from Guantano Bay. We also have the evidence of ex-guards, lawyers and US government investigators. They all have come up with consistent accounts.
HTale
Rep:
?
Are they? There appears to be evidence that muslims are becoming more extreme in their interpretation of the koran actually.
As a Muslim, you couldn't be further from the truth. Having said that, there are some University of Al-azhar students (Older than Oxbridge...about 1250 years old!) who are taking to extremist ways. This is slightly worrying.
HTale
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mrs. Political)
exactly, everyone makes assumptions!
Some assumptions are further from the truth than others.
Pepaim
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think its hyped in the media. Certainly there are a few who are becoming very extreme but I think in many areas of Islamic society reforms are taking place. I am probably wrong but its just the perception i get from world events, interviews with muslims after terrorist attacks and talking to my friends who are muslim.
Pepaim
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It is not only ex-detainees who have reported from Guantano Bay. We also have the evidence of ex-guards, lawyers and US government investigators. They all have come up with consistent accounts.
One of the guards wrote a book I think.
HTale
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pepaim)
One of the guards wrote a book I think.
Yes, I think it might be banned from US shelves however. Ive heard something like that from an uncofirmed source, on a political website. If it is true, it just exemplifies the fact that the US do have something to hide.
Goody1
Report 13 years ago
Therefore because hes written a book hemsut be telling the truth? and not wanting to sell copies of it by exaggerating certian things? unless you have been to guantanamo bay personally none us will know for a fact what it is truly like.
HTale
Rep:
?
Therefore because hes written a book hemsut be telling the truth? and not wanting to sell copies of it by exaggerating certian things? unless you have been to guantanamo bay personally none us will know for a fact what it is truly like.
The argument you are making is shallow in nature. Questioning the integrity of former detainees is not the way to advance this discussion.
Goody1
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HTale)
The argument you are making is shallow in nature. Questioning the integrity of former detainees is not the way to advance this discussion.
Yes it is, if your using evidence form former detainees as to conditions in Guantanamo bay then it is, as these souces are unreliable at best.
HTale
Rep:
?
Yes it is, if your using evidence form former detainees as to conditions in Guantanamo bay then it is, as these souces are unreliable at best.
Ok, if you say so. Lets just leave it at that, this is not an argument about the veracity of detainees, but about camp x-ray itself. I do not want anymore on this thank you, lets speak on the topic itself.
Goody1
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HTale)
Ok, if you say so. Lets just leave it at that, this is not an argument about the veracity of detainees, but about camp x-ray itself. I do not want anymore on this thank you, lets speak on the topic itself.
Yes but it is on topic! your using sources form ex-detainees and im disproving the sources it has everything to do with the topic.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1388)
79.59%
Leave (356)
20.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed