Guantanamo bay Watch

This discussion is closed.
Douglas
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HTale)
Camp X-ray is infamous for its many abuses of human rights. One article in TIME magazine reported the nature of the interrogation tactics there. For instance:

1) Constant beating by US soldiers
Can you produce a link where time magazine says that the U.S. soldiers beat the prisoners???
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HTale)
Camp X-ray is infamous for its many abuses of human rights. One article in TIME magazine reported the nature of the interrogation tactics there. For instance:

1) Constant beating by US soldiers

2) Psychological torture. One such example included an interrogator forcing a detainee to humiliate himself infront of an audience of soldiers, forcing him to admit homosexuality

These are just two of the tactics used; more will come to light in this discussion. Having also considered the fact that almost all suspects are held with trial, is there much point in camp x-ray and is it only helping to fuel Arab, and in particular, extremist hatred of the West?

All thoughts welcome.
Can I see the article?

EDIT: You beat me to the punch, Douglas. I'm surprised no one asked for any substantiation sooner. All the opinions in this thread are based on hearsay
Goody1
Report 13 years ago
Indeed i tried to rubbish his sources but he simply claimed it wasnt part of the disscussion.
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Pepaim)
I think its hyped in the media. Certainly there are a few who are becoming very extreme but I think in many areas of Islamic society reforms are taking place. I am probably wrong but its just the perception i get from world events, interviews with muslims after terrorist attacks and talking to my friends who are muslim.
The fanatics appear to becoming more noticeable and even acceptable as a school of thought, I think, just because they are noticed. One of the purposes of attacks, I think, is to provoke indiscrimate attacks on muslims, thus justifying the attacks after they've happened.
melbourne
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HTale)
Im sorry, I think all Soldiers have some inkling of the Geneva convention. They are:

1) To treat PoW's with dignity and respect

2) To give treatement to the injured enemy after a battle

3) To not attack civilians in battle

These are the three cornerstones of the Geneva convention, and I believe any soldier will at least know these three points.

As for this point, soldiers are not facing combat in Guantanamo bay. In fact the 'War against terror' is by no means a conventional war. Thus, I dont see this as a justification for the gross breaches of human rights in camp x-ray.
yes they are all brilliant when fighting soldiers, not terrorists. Terrorists are not prisoners of war (i believe) because they are free agents.....
HTale
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)
Can I see the article?

EDIT: You beat me to the punch, Douglas. I'm surprised no one asked for any substantiation sooner. All the opinions in this thread are based on hearsay
I cannot give you a link because it was the paper edition. I can refer you to the paper edition. I'll give you the date once I found the edition....I have a stack of them! It was sometime around Feb/March if I remember rightly.
Goody1
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by melbourne)
yes they are all brilliant when fighting soldiers, not terrorists. Terrorists are not prisoners of war (i believe) because they are free agents.....
Indeed as Foreign nationalsand not enrolled in anotehr persons military you are not covered by the Geneva Convention but under that countrys law, this is why any British nationals caught fighting against British troop abroad should be hung untill dead ASAP!
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Goody1)
Indeed as Foreign nationalsand not enrolled in anotehr persons military you are not covered by the Geneva Convention but under that countrys law,
which laws also guarantee human rights. Many of the people imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay were enrolled in the Afghan military. They are the ones who are most likely to be dangerous if they are released, actually and also the ones who can claim POW status. Many of the others were simply denounced by enemies- not a good reason for imp[risoning someone.
this is why any British nationals caught fighting against British troop abroad should be hung untill dead ASAP!
Actually, apart from the fact that none of the British prisoners were caught fighting against British troops, hanging is not an option under British law.
Goody1
Report 13 years ago
Wether it garuntees human rights or not is not of consequence as these people are animals and traitors who deserve all they get and i hope they are totrured and beaten its what they deserve.

I never said that hanging was an option i simply said they should be hung, the death penalty was abolished for treason and piracy in 1998. To be honest its what they deserve.

Well if your caught in AFghanistan and happen to be carrying a rifle then claim to be an aid worker yet your not registered with the any aid oporganisation think that is reasonable grounds for someone to be imprisoned!
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Goody1)
Wether it garuntees human rights or not is not of consequence as these people are animals and traitors who deserve all they get and i hope they are totrured and beaten its what they deserve.
Both you and they like torturing people. the only difference between you and the worst islamists is that you disagree about who should be tortured.
I never said that hanging was an option i simply said they should be hung, the death penalty was abolished for treason and piracy in 1998. To be honest its what they deserve.
As they cannot legally be hung it is irrelevant.
Well if your caught in AFghanistan and happen to be carrying a rifle then claim to be an aid worker yet your not registered with the any aid oporganisation think that is reasonable grounds for someone to be imprisoned!
Which British prisoners were arrested under those conditions? remember, in /afghanistan going out without a rifle is as odd [and unwise] as going out without a raincoat in a thunderstorm here.
Goody1
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
Both you and they like torturing people. the only difference between you and the worst islamists is that you disagree about who should be tortured.
As they cannot legally be hung it is irrelevant.Which British prisoners were arrested under those conditions? remember, in /afghanistan going out without a rifle is as odd [and unwise] as going out without a raincoat in a thunderstorm here.
The last 4 British Nationals released from Guantanamo Bay were caught in Afghanistan armed yet all claimed to be aid workers, yesbut wid workers dont carry weapons hence being an aid worker, if anything they have armed bodygaurds, yet these 4 were not registered with any aid agency operating in AFghanistan.

The only difference between me and the worst islamists is that im civilised and dont go around killing innocent civilians they deserver everything they get and more.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.13%
Yes - they're famous (285)
25.33%
No I don't (546)
48.53%

Watched Threads