Turn on thread page Beta

A way to beat the breathalyser test? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlmechanik)
    why doesnt someone just say "you can have one glass of 6% beer" etc
    For the obvious reason that that would make one person drunk (unable to drive) while another person wouldn't be affected at all (able to drive).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Generally speaking, you can have a maximum of one unit. That's roughly a small glass of wine, half a pint of regular strength beer/cider or a single measure of spirits.
    Are you referring to dwarves? If you doubled that most people would still be under the limit by quite a significant amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    For the obvious reason that that would make one person drunk (unable to drive) while another person wouldn't be affected at all (able to drive).
    but they could say...that the maximum you can have.

if one pints affects you, you shouldnt drink at all quite frankly

(Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Generally speaking, you can have a maximum of one unit. That's roughly a small glass of wine, half a pint of regular strength beer/cider or a single measure of spirits.
    My dad has had 2 pints over 2 hours and been under the limit... Your wrong.

Though he is a seasoned pro of a drinker, I would have no issues getting in the car even if he was over.

ReputationRep:
    but they could say...that the maximum you can have.

if one pints affects you, you shouldnt drink at all quite frankly
    And how would they determine whether you had that much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    And how would they determine whether you had that much?
    same way they do now, breathaliser, sobriety test, urine test...

i'm not all that good at getting my opinions across sometimes am i?

ReputationRep:
    same way they do now, breathaliser, sobriety test, urine test...

i'm not all that good at getting my opinions across sometimes am i?
    Breathalisers don't show how many glasses of alcohol you've had. They show your blood alcohol level. Hence why the limit is expressed in terms of blood alcohol level, not number of glasses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    My dad has had 2 pints over 2 hours and been under the limit... Your wrong.

Though he is a seasoned pro of a drinker, I would have no issues getting in the car even if he was over.
    Meh, that's what the leaflet in the GP surgery told me.

ReputationRep:
    Just chew on some charcoal tablets.

[I mean, don't, but you know.]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Just chew on some charcoal tablets.

[I mean, don't, but you know.]
    Activated charcoal doesn't bind alcohol terribly well :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SacreBleu)
    Thought of this strange idea when I was trying to sleep last night, wondering if anyone can confirm it would work or prove it wrong.

Not only does your liver break down the alcohol, but your lungs actually pass alcohol back into the air that you exhale, and this is what the breathalysers measure.

However, if you could master the art of breathing in through your nose, while breathing out through your mouth, like some wind instrument players have to, surely this would be a way to beat the system?

You would breath in clean air through your nose, and breath it straight back into the machine, thus passing the test as the air doesn't enter your lungs.

Anybody who plays instruments where they have to breath in and out at the same time care to shed some light on the situation?
    Can I just say that nowhere in the above quote did the OP suggest that he would ever even contemplate drink driving. Why is everyone giving harsh words against drink driving? We, including the OP, all no that it is a terrible thing to do, but he was only considering a potential flaw in the test that might have to be rectified to make the roads safer.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:. Whats wrong with you?. You want people to die?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R£SP£CT)
    :facepalm:. Whats wrong with you?. You want people to die?
    Trying to spot a loophole in the drink driving system is very, very different to "wanting people to die".

ReputationRep:
    Trying to spot a loophole in the drink driving system is very, very different to "wanting people to die".
    Ask yourself this question. Why on earth have they implemented the drink driving system in the first place?...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R£SP£CT)
    Ask yourself this question. Why on earth have they implemented the drink driving system in the first place?...
    Answer this question:
    How is trying to spot a loophole in the drink driving system similar to "wanting people to die".

ReputationRep:
    Answer this question:
    How is trying to spot a loophole in the drink driving system similar to "wanting people to die".
    An argument could be made that willfully driving while drunk (in acknowledgment of the dangers of doing so) is negligent to the point where random deaths are an acceptable consequence in the eyes of the drunk driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.posteriori)
    An argument could be made that willfully driving while drunk (in acknowledgment of the dangers of doing so) is negligent to the point where random deaths are an acceptable consequence in the eyes of the drunk driver.
    Spotting a loophole in the law and exploiting a loophole in the law are two completely different things.

ReputationRep:
    How to beat the breathalyzer test? Don't drink.

ReputationRep:
    No one said a damn thing about drinking and driving. Relax it's just a question!

ReputationRep:
    That's what I'm saying! Simple questions bring on very simple minded people......

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.