Turn on thread page Beta

I'm a first year at uni. I'm openly gay but I do my best not to 'show off' my sexuality; I've always found overly camp people kind of tiring. As a result of this I've been single pretty much my whole life and had very limited experience with guys.

Anyway the other day I was at a club, and this guy was also out with us. He lives in the same halls but a few flats away. Anyway he's an avid footballer, a resident sports advisor, a huge athlete; hangs out with all the guys and whatever. He's also beautiful. The kind of bloke all guys wish they could be and all girls wish they could be with. As the night went on, one good (female) friend of mine tried it on with him and he admitted he was gay. The news circulated and well, we ended up getting quite close. We kissed, and then later on he slept in my room. Although nothing happened it was still the most movie-like, romantic night of my life. Even though people were annoyed at both of us I was riding the hugest wave all the next day.

We've been texting each other since, and I'm sure he's interested, but I'm now flooded with anxiety. I feel almost unworthy, as he could literally get whoever he wants. I've obviously never been in a relationship before and the whole process is kind of daunting, but I don't want to let this slip away. Is this normal? What sort of thing should I be doing? I really want to spend some more time with him, but apart from being all cliched like "Want to get some food / a few drinks?" I'm stumped for ideas.

ReputationRep:
    I guess so. Just as with any relationship, try not to be too overzellous but on the other hand don't be too laxed or h'll think you're not that interested. Keep it cool, ask him out for a drink or a coffee

ReputationRep:
    why were people annoyed with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a first year at uni. I'm openly gay but I do my best not to 'show off' my sexuality; I've always found overly camp people kind of tiring. As a result of this I've been single pretty much my whole life and had very limited experience with guys.

Anyway the other day I was at a club, and this guy was also out with us. He lives in the same halls but a few flats away. Anyway he's an avid footballer, a resident sports advisor, a huge athlete; hangs out with all the guys and whatever. He's also beautiful. The kind of bloke all guys wish they could be and all girls wish they could be with. As the night went on, one good (female) friend of mine tried it on with him and he admitted he was gay. The news circulated and well, we ended up getting quite close. We kissed, and then later on he slept in my room. Although nothing happened it was still the most movie-like, romantic night of my life. Even though people were annoyed at both of us I was riding the hugest wave all the next day.

We've been texting each other since, and I'm sure he's interested, but I'm now flooded with anxiety. I feel almost unworthy, as he could literally get whoever he wants. I've obviously never been in a relationship before and the whole process is kind of daunting, but I don't want to let this slip away. Is this normal? What sort of thing should I be doing? I really want to spend some more time with him, but apart from being all cliched like "Want to get some food / a few drinks?" I'm stumped for ideas.
    Why feel unworthy? Im sure your a lovely person and he probably see's that too!!!
    To be honest you can go for the whole clique thing... its not actually as bad as it sounds!!!
    Just ride it, maybe ask him if he wants to watch a movie (yes, i do do that! say i was thinking of watching a film and if they like it see if they want to join me!!! :P) or join you and your friends if your going out for the night etc...
    It doesnt matter how you re-meet, so long as it happens so its possible to meet again until it all becomes natural

When you actually meet him, trust him! He sounds like a guy whose lead you can follow...

Good luck... please dont believe its too good to be true but if it doesnt work out, its a learning curve!!!

ReputationRep:
    go you! JUST HAVE SOME FAITH IN URSELF

ReputationRep:
    Have some courage and just ask him out casually, either for some kind of meal (Lunch/Dinner) or just get a coffee. Stay calm and just talk to him about the usual stuff you would with your friends. You need to show an interest or he might not know you really like him and just keep it casual.
    you'll be fine and don't be too nervous.
    I have my fingers crossed for you!
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    just go for it dont let nerves or anything ruin it for you !

good luck
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Awh, I actually think this is pretty cute!

From past experience I've found it difficult to get the balance between being interested enough, but not over interested or disinterested.

Don't ever feel unworthy!! for all you know he's liked you for a while and couldn't believe his luck last night either!! Just ask him for a drink. Not cliched at allllll! x

(Original post by reisen)
    why were people annoyed with you
    They're mostly annoyed with him, for not telling them sooner and all that sort of thing. But what started as some trust problems turned into out and out drunken homophobia as more drink was consumed. In a way that's what is making it more difficult. I'd happily just go to his flat and chill but they're all still a bit funny about it.

Everyone else - thanks for the advice and the luck. I honestly feel like it's one of the best things to happen to me for ages. I'll try and not overthink stuff so much.

ReputationRep:
    Take him out- then take him and his flat out and buy them a round (if you can afford it) for helping you meet him or something. Everyone loves free drinkies.

Don't waste your time feeling insecure, it usually ends up in jealousy. If it helps, if he hasn't been out, he's probs pretty inexperienced too, and LGBT people often start later out of necessity when it comes to sex and relationships.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    They're mostly annoyed with him, for not telling them sooner and all that sort of thing. But what started as some trust problems turned into out and out drunken homophobia as more drink was consumed. In a way that's what is making it more difficult. I'd happily just go to his flat and chill but they're all still a bit funny about it.

Everyone else - thanks for the advice and the luck. I honestly feel like it's one of the best things to happen to me for ages. I'll try and not overthink stuff so much.
    I'm really sorry to hear that, they have no right to be angry. Gd luck x

ReputationRep:
    do NOT feel unworthy

anybody who has you should feel lucky

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.