Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I like comedies, romances, war, action films...bit of anything really! So far I've enjoyed:

- Belle de Jour (absolute favourite so far!)
    - Amélie
    - Au Revoir Les Enfants
    - Dans Paris
    - Paris, Je T'aime
    - La Vie En Rose
    - La Haine

I've also seen a couple of others but wasn't that keen (A L'aventure, which was basically this creepy guy trying to hypnotize women into having orgasms :lolwut: and a couple of others I can't remember off hand).

I'm looking to hit up HMV this weekend, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything?

Edit: Forgot to mention I have also seen (and greatly enjoyed!) Les Choristes, Moliere and Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis.

ReputationRep:
    taxi,

edit: just realised there are thousands of films called taxi

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;-1&sku=688347 im talking about this one, its got a bit of romance and a bit of action in it

ReputationRep:
    Coco before Chanel.. watched this recently, loved it..

ReputationRep:
    Hmm!

Trop Belle Pour Toi - has Gerard Depardieu in it, and is a really abstract sort of love story. I've only seen bits, but it was captivating and intriguing.

I also really liked Il Y A Longtemps Que Je T'Aime. It's a modern one, and it has Kristen Scott Thomas in, and the story line is unbelievably powerful.

ReputationRep:
    Les choristes
    Yamakasi
    District 13
    District 13 Ultimatum is coming out soon
    and of course, Taxi 1, Taxi 2, Taxi 3, Taxi 4

ReputationRep:
    Les femmes de l'ombre is an amazing film. Definitely worth a watch.

ReputationRep:
    Taxi 1-4, Wasabi, L'empire des loups are all easy going comedies.
    Tontons flingueurs is a classic of the 90's, seems to get into the psyche of how french perceived film during that decade... interesting

ReputationRep:
    Les Choristes, Moliere, La (mome?) - I think thats what its called - about the life of Edith Piaf
    Taxi.

ReputationRep:
    Betty Blue (37.2* Le Matin) would be an obvious one to watch. The cinematography and soundtrack are great. Quite a sad story though.

Also, The Science of Sleep is rather interesting, full of ambiguity and weirdness.

ReputationRep:
    Anna M
    Time to leave
    Swimming Pool
    5x2
    The Piano Teacher

ReputationRep:
    Moliere is absolutely brilliant, and so are Les Choristes and Faubourg 36.

Those are my favourite three French films.

ReputationRep:
    Paris, Je T'Aime, Coco Avant Chanel and Ils! are good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    I like comedies, romances, war, action films...bit of anything really! So far I've enjoyed:

- Belle de Jour (absolute favourite so far!)
    - Amélie
    - Au Revoir Les Enfants
    - Dans Paris
    - Paris, Je T'aime
    - La Vie En Rose
    - La Haine

I've also seen a couple of others but wasn't that keen (A L'aventure, which was basically this creepy guy trying to hypnotize women into having orgasms :lolwut: and a couple of others I can't remember off hand).

I'm looking to hit up HMV this weekend, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything?
    A prophet, The Beat that my heart skipped- Jacques Audiard is so good.

ReputationRep:
    etre et avoir is a cute documentary about a small, rural school.
    Delicatessen is a weird film about a butcher shop that serves human meat.

ReputationRep:
    L'Armée du Crime is a great film about ww2 resisters in France.

ReputationRep:
    Les Choistes :love:

I watched this strange film in class once called 'Les chansons d'amour'. I found it a bit creepy, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Le cercle rouge
    Le samourai
    Caché
    Au bout de souffle
    Pierrot le fou
    Mesrine
    Tell No-one
    The Beat That My Heart Skipped

And probably more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heroesorghosts)
    The Diving Bell and The Butterfly!! It's absolutely amazing and is a true story I don't speak French so had to watch it with subtitles but I imagine it's even more breathtaking if you understand the language!!
    COMPLETELY agree, it's my favourite film of all time and it is definitely so beautiful when you understand the french as the subtitles aren't always correct.
    I also like "l'auberge espagnol" (called "Pot Luck" in english) and it's sequel "les poupees russes" ("the russian dolls") is just as good. Hilarious depiction of a bunch of students from all over the world who come together in one house on a year's ERASMUS placement in spain.

ReputationRep:
    What Les Choristes if you haven't !
    L'auberge espangnol these two are about people essentially on their year abroad :p:
    Les poupees russes
    Entre les murs (it's quite new - 'the class' in english)
    Erm, Etre et avoir is this adorable documentary type film about a rural school
    I also like this film called La Tournuese de page, but it's a bit odd..

ReputationRep:
    Jules et Jim
    It's a bit wierd/frustrating but good

and La môme - would highly reccommend!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.