Turn on thread page Beta

University of London; highest education institute which produces terrorists worldwide watch

ReputationRep:
    Whaaaaaaaaaat, its more higher than the University of Kandahar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    Whaaaaaaaaaat, its more higher than the University of Kandahar?
    Your alma mater? :holmes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I guess even terrorists who may end up blowing themselves eventually up dont want to go to the likes of Brunnel and London Met :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Gennaro)
    I see you are forgetting the continuous terrorism taking place in Palestine??? Since the 1940s, mostly Muslim Palestinians have been massacred by mainly Jewish (they're not muslim btw) "Israelis". But the few terrorist attacks (few compared to the ones in Palestine) carried out by Muslim terrorists have made the word terrorist synonymous with the words Islamist and Islam.
    I know you have the best intentions in your argument but please don't make assumptions about what I know, do not know or what I believe

It's true that the word terrorist has been equated with muslim but which part of my statement attacked Muslims? or Islam? Read it again without any emotion.

I know about the Israeli-Palestinian situation - I've met displaced Palestinians across the mid-east and in refugee camps. But one act of indiscriminate violence does not excuse the other. So the flag on my userprofile wasn't selected for a laugh. Oh' and I am a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Not according to my lecturer, no. I said worldwide.
    So you have 4 examples of terrorists from UoL and a few 'reports' of some other vague associations. You think it has produced less than, say:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_University_of_Gaza
    Which was founded by the Hamas leader and has had a number of Hamas officials on its lecturing staff.
    You are right, that place has definitely produced less than 4 terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    The University of London 'produces' terrorists in the same vein as videogames 'produced' Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, and for the same reason as Oxford/Cambridge tend to win at University Challenge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    you are purposely ignoring what I say. Stop acting ******* stupid. Im not playing this game with you.
    Purposely? you never had anything to say in the first place you imbecile.

(Original post by Diaz89)
    Purposely? you never had anything to say in the first place you imbecile.
    like i said, stop acting stupid.

ReputationRep:
    like i said, stop acting stupid.
    Remember you said nothing in the first place moron

(Original post by Diaz89)
    Remember you said nothing in the first place moron
    I did

but like i said, im not playing these games with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I guess even terrorists who may end up blowing themselves eventually up dont want to go to the likes of Brunnel and London Met :gthumb:
    lol!

ReputationRep:
    I did

but like i said, im not playing these games with you.
    No your "point" was completely useless hence a non point, and err what do you mean playing games, who are you of all people to say that :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Sorry, had to summarise title ^^
    This is a statistic from my (UoL and Oxford educated) Politics tutor (I'm at a UoL institute), I'll assume it's correct but I can't cite it. I was pretty surprised this morning when he told me that, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Across the World, the UoL has produced more terrorists and global jihadis then any other educational institutes.
    You can't cite it, but could you give the numbers he gave you, or at least say if he's talking about absolute numbers or %?

If UoL has a higher percentage of terrorist graduates or whatever the right term would be... I'd think it is mostly due to the location. London seems like a great place to go unnoticed while at the same time finding like-minded people. It's also (arguably) the heart of Britain so they would be well placed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haft_Hasht_Shish)
    Seeing as you study at QM, was this Dr Dodge?

Nah, he takes Mid Eastern comparative politics and I don't take that class.

ReputationRep:
    It's weird because generally you'd think that getting an education and a degree and being saturated in British culture and the thoughts it's education system propagates would turn someone away from extremism not towards it.

I think a lot of it has to do with the general British idea of free speech, which backfires on us often. We adopt the idea that people should be able to say what they like, do what they like, wear what they like etc and we don't force our culture upon immigrants unlike say France. This allows people to migrate to the country and retain their customs, including the unsavoury ones and allows them to incubate and spread. Tie this in with traditional studenty angst and you can see why extremism spreads amongst certain people.

In the 1960s student activism was directed more towards loosening up the rules governing society and against the Vietnam War, now it's directed into other things. 18-21 year olds always think more of themselves than is the truth, they think they can change things and are verrry opinionated due to the fact they have little life experience and most of their views are based entirely upon theory; for example the huge popularity of left wing ideas amongst students before life toughens them up and shifts them right. Lots of students are very naive aswell, for example believing the Iraq War was fought over oil, it might have been fought over unsavoury issues but the oil thesis is just damn stupid, yet it continues to hold sway. This opionated naive nature is perfect for people to exploit and fill student's heads with rubbish about the West and Jihad etc. I'm actually quite surprised the BNP isn't trying to infiltrate UK universities and pick on disaffected youth, the adversion to multiculturalism and immigration isn't solely a working class movement.

As for why London seems to produce more terrorists than elsewhere, larger Islamic population than elsewhere, proximity to radical centers of British Islam, the lack of a community spirit that other university have which can lead to those on the fringes remaining disassociated from their peers and more likely to be enticed by radicalism. Also like I said earlier British free speech, the French wouldn't allow this kind of thing to happen on their campuses, they'd ban any societies that even flirted with the likes of Hizb ut Tahrir and the like and are on the verge of banning Islamic dress from Universities, which shows how much the French government intervenes to protect it's idea of 'Frenchness'. The French have a larger Islamic population than Britain and yet produce very few notable international terrorists, it's not just a coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    the French wouldn't allow this kind of thing to happen on their campuses, they'd ban any societies that even flirted with the likes of Hizb ut Tahrir and the like and are on the verge of banning Islamic dress from Universities, which shows how much the French government intervenes to protect it's idea of 'Frenchness'. The French have a larger Islamic population than Britain and yet produce very few notable international terrorists, it's not just a coincidence.
    You make it sound like it's a bad thing that the French don't let such things just happen in their universities. (Sorry if you don't mean that.) It's not about their "Frenchness", it's called laïcité = no signs of religion in public schools or universities, which is more than fair enough, it's PUBLIC schools after all. The UK has been and is still way too easy regarding immigrants and possible terrorists invading their country, and now it's dealing with the consequences. This is not free speech anymore, it's stupidity.

I strongly disagree that the French force their culture upon Muslim immigrants. All the French ask is that, if you're going to live in France, go to a French school, etc. on the French government's costs, you should respect the country and its laws. One of these laws is the choice of each individual to believe in whatever religion they want in their private lives, but knowing when to put it aside (laïcité again) in order for people to come together and pay attention to their similarities rather than what separates them, religion, in schools and universities. The UK would be doing much better if it inspired itself from this principle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ines24)
    You make it sound like it's a bad thing that the French don't let such things just happen in their universities. (Sorry if you don't mean that.) It's not about their "Frenchness", it's called laïcité = no signs of religion in public schools or universities, which is more than fair enough, it's PUBLIC schools after all. The UK has been and is still way too easy regarding immigrants and possible terrorists invading their country, and now it's dealing with the consequences. This is not free speech anymore, it's stupidity.

I strongly disagree that the French force their culture upon Muslim immigrants. All the French ask is that, if you're going to live in France, go to a French school, etc. on the French government's costs, you should respect the country and its laws. One of these laws is the choice of each individual to believe in whatever religion they want in their private lives, but knowing when to put it aside (laïcité again) in order for people to come together and pay attention to their similarities rather than what separates them, religion, in schools and universities. The UK would be doing much better if it inspired itself from this principle.
    I actually agree with France's position, I think that society should be secularised in all public areas. What you do in your own home is up to you but religion has no place in the workplace or in education institutes etc.

Likewise if you come to the United Kingdom you should live under our laws not your own and respect the culture and society of the country. I think France's example of having a larger muslim population but with less extremism shows it works. Most of the problems afflicting France's Muslim population seems to be based around economic disparity and yet they still don't turn to international terrorism in massive numbers.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.