Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi_jatt)
    Yea of course e.g if they turn over their ankle on the pitch or something, but that clearly didn't happen!! I don't think they will be showing the replay on MOTD, did they for Eduardo? Sky wouldn't show it..
    Yes, with indepth discussion to go with it

I was suprised they did, but there you go.

I imagine the same will happen this time, especially if Shawcross doesnt shoulder much blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    I expect this banner to get dug out and edited a bit again.

You live in my mind.

Psychologically, although it sounds a bit screwy, I suspect we won the title today.

As for the tackle, I was wincing at it as they both went in, and frankly I think people having a go at Shawcross should calm down a little. It was robust and tough but we have to remember that was just about as much of a 50/50 ball you'll ever see. Aaron was coming in like a steam train himself and I was nervous seeing that alone.

You guys know me and how paranoid I get at this kind of ****, well, I honestly believe in this situation it was a dreadful, dreadful accident begotten of the classic 50/50. I was shocked Aaron didn't pull out as Shawcross clearly had more momentum; that's what usually tips the balance, sadly.

In terms of the match itself, Clichy was ******* titanic. That's his best performance in three years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi_jatt)
    I agree, I haven't seen the replay properly to be able to judge, but to break somebody's leg you have to go in really hard into the challenge, when challenging for the ball normally just think is it really enough power to break somebodys leg, no.
    You don't need that much power to break someones leg, remember Mcevly barely touching Cisse and Cisse's leg completely snapping. ramseys injury looked kind of reminiscent of that one weirdly enough.

------------

And of course it is possible to break a bone (without turning over your ankle/twisting your knee) without any contact from anybody. I completely snapped my tibia and fibia playing football when I was younger and there wasn't a player near me.

ReputationRep:
    Well looking at the twitter vid posted above, although it's sketchy, it seems as though Ramsey had his right leg dangled out in mid air, which then come into contact with a tough challenge from Shawcross.

So it doesn't look like Ramsey was tensing his leg at that moment from what I can see, hence why so much damage was caused, poor guy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm mentally exhausted.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    You live in my mind.

Psychologically, although it sounds a bit screwy, I suspect we won the title today.

As for the tackle, I was wincing at it as they both went in, and frankly I think people having a go at Shawcross should calm down a little. It was robust and tough but we have to remember that was just about as much of a 50/50 ball you'll ever see. Aaron was coming in like a steam train himself and I was nervous seeing that alone.

You guys know me and how paranoid I get at this kind of ****, well, I honestly believe in this situation it was a dreadful, dreadful accident begotten of the classic 50/50. I was shocked Aaron didn't pull out as Shawcross clearly had more momentum; that's what usually tips the balance, sadly.

In terms of the match itself, Clichy was ******* titanic. That's his best performance in three years.
    It is good that others can also see what I thought was pretty clear. Both players went in with the intention of getting the ball regardless of what happened to them or anybody else. Not in 'wanting to hurt' sense just in a 'that is my ball and I am winning it for my team' sense.

It was a truly horrendous injury, but to castigate Shawcross the way some people have done is shameful. Would these people be saying the same thing if Shawcross had of been just that little bit quicker than Ramsey and ended up with the exact same injury? Somehow I really think not! Just because a player has a certain 'style' it does not mean that they go out trying to injure fellow professionals.

I really do hope that we get to see close up replays, not for any macabre pleasure, but because I want it to be the evidence to be there for the masses that Shawcross was not doing a 'Ben Thatcher'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Heh. I've just eaten. Will save it for MotD, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    You don't need that much power to break someones leg, remember Mcevly barely touching Cisse and Cisse's leg completely snapping. ramseys injury looked kind of reminiscent of that one weirdly enough.

------------

And of course it is possible to break a bone (without turning over your ankle/twisting your knee) without any contact from anybody. I completely snapped my tibia and fibia playing football when I was younger and there wasn't a player near me.
    Fair point I agree, but it is very rare to suffer a break from an innocuous challenge, it usually takes a participant , if not both to be getting really stuck into a challenge.

The point is to win the ball you don't have to throw yourself around and go into tackles like a nutter, of course there's this whole notion of getting "stuck in", but there's times to use it, this looks as though it's another 50/50 challenge where somebodys gone overboard.

ReputationRep:
    Holy crap, 453 comments already!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    sorry, it was just for people who missed the incident. i'm a medic, i don't make fun of people getting injured.

ReputationRep:

I'd love to hear Jizzers view now we're only 3 pts of the top.
    Great. 3 points off the top, keep winning and we might win the whole league. Great. It's like getting an A*...and then finding out the paper had the lowest grade boundaries in history. We have not been a force this season, compared to any team that has ever won the league. Whoever wins the Premiership this season will not be advertising the English game well, you may say it shows the strength and depth in the Premiership but I disagree, it shows complacency from over-payed footballers and poor management. If Mourinho took charge of Chelsea or Man Utd they would be at least 10 points clear of Arsenal at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Shawcross has just been named in the England squad.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, it was just for people who missed the incident. i'm a medic, i don't make fun of people getting injured.
    Fair enough.

Pretty horrible seeing it again though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    Great. 3 points off the top, keep winning and we might win the whole league. Great. It's like getting an A*...and then finding out the paper had the lowest grade boundaries in history. We have not been a force this season, compared to any team that has ever won the league. Whoever wins the Premiership this season will not be advertising the English game well, you may say it shows the strength and depth in the Premiership but I disagree, it shows complacency from over-payed footballers and poor management. If Mourinho took charge of Chelsea or Man Utd they would be at least 10 points clear of Arsenal at this stage.
    There is looking at thing realistically and there's lacking any emotional connection to the club. You don't seem to care and lack a passion for the team. I used to respect your opinion a little bit but now you just seem distant, emotionless and a little bit autistic.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't see the game, is Ramsey alright - what's the latest?

Shawross should be fined, that sort of tackle is simply unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    Go away now is not the time. I don't know if you've noticed but we're not really talking about our league chances right now.

ReputationRep:
    Go away now is not the time. I don't know if you've noticed but we're not really talking about our league chances right now.
    Don't ask about me then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    I completely forgot about it getting cut off at March so yeah I retract my comment on it being good games to miss because that was only assuming he would have to miss 2 games at some point.

I know what you mean about the Ramsey pen and whilst in a way I feel similar, that isn't the spin I'd want to see put on it. What should be focused upon is the way that refs constantly let reckless tackles go without punishment because it is exactly that that leads to this sort of thing. Not sure if someone has already mentioned so I'm sorry if I'm bringing it up again, not that that makes it any less valid but still, remember our game in the FA cup at the Brit a few weeks ago? Shawcross came in ridiculously late and high up on Cesc, it was a potential leg breaker and should have been a straight red but the ref gave a foul and left it at that, had he received a red then would Shawcross have been going in recklessly again today? If players were picking up the cards for these fouls they'd think twice before being 'more physical' and we wouldn't have players with career threatening injuries.
    I like Arsene don't believe it is a coincidence that we get all these long-term injuries, the whole "to beat Arsenal you have to kick them" mentality has to be addressed. Rosicky is the way forward imo. THEY KICK US, WE KICK THEM.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.