Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Only just heard about Ramsey. Horrific He's such a talented footballer. Can anyone enlighten me about the tackle? Was it deliberate?

ReputationRep:
    WRT Ramsey. Of course I wish him well and a speedy recovery. It looked horrible looking at the team mates looking on in despair.
    It was however completely 50-50, nobody had possesion, and it could so easily have been reversed and Shawcross coming out with a broken leg.
    You simply can't call Ramsey a hero and Shawcross a villian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V1NY)
    Only just heard about Ramsey. Horrific He's such a talented footballer. Can anyone enlighten me about the tackle? Was it deliberate?
    Not deliberate, was a full blooded 50-50. Injury=Unlucky, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    As I said earlier, Shawcross was a disaster waiting to happen when you consider his style of play. Sooner or later he was going to do this (again).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    Great. 3 points off the top, keep winning and we might win the whole league. Great. It's like getting an A*...and then finding out the paper had the lowest grade boundaries in history. We have not been a force this season, compared to any team that has ever won the league. Whoever wins the Premiership this season will not be advertising the English game well, you may say it shows the strength and depth in the Premiership but I disagree, it shows complacency from over-payed footballers and poor management. If Mourinho took charge of Chelsea or Man Utd they would be at least 10 points clear of Arsenal at this stage.
    How many points did we have when we won the league 97/98?

So what that team (overmars/adams/seaman/vieira/anelka/bergkamp/wright etc) was pants too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Fabregas interview here.
    He's spot on. A bit proud to have him as the captain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi_jatt)
    Ramsey clearly won the ball first, so either Shawcross has intentionally took him out afterwards, or he's that **** a player and slow to react he couldn't stop. Either way he's a tit
    :lolwut: I don't know what tackle you are looking at but his legs (and body) are (is) already in motion (as is Ramsey's). There is not a human being alive who could alter the momentum of their body in such a short space of time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    What kind of comment is that? Wenger is a far superior manager to what Redknapp will ever be. Since the 80's Redknapp has only ever won ONE trophy. He's helped significantly in ruining Portmouth FC. Don't insult wenger by comparing him to that tax dodger.
    I was trying to say would you support Arsenal FC if it was managed by the Spurs manager who dropped every Gunner and slowly brang in all Tottenham players making it more or less Tottenham bar the name.

ReputationRep:
    http://img199.yfrog.com/i/26870134427856063010412.jpg/

Oh my god. That is awful

ReputationRep:
    I was trying to say would you support Arsenal FC if it was managed by the Spurs manager who dropped every Gunner and slowly brang in all Tottenham players making it more or less Tottenham bar the name.
    Yes. It's called loving the badge. Go away now.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand, how can the players get more protection?

I haven't seen any highlights of the game yet, so if it's something i've missed..

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit when i first saw the tackle i didnt think it was as bad as it turned out to be.
    But after seeing a reply, it was late and a bit of a lunge! But complete 50-50

But what a reaction from Arsenal compared to when Eduardo had his leg broken. I can see this being a turning point for the gunners and hopefully will give us the belief we need to win the league!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    :lolwut: I don't know what tackle you are looking at but his legs (and body) are (is) already in motion (as is Ramsey's), there is not a human being alive who could alter the momentum of their body in such a short space of time!
    The key word of course being momentum. That's the real villain, one suspects. The amount of broken legs I've seen over the years as a result of momentum in conjunction to sick *******s or pure recklessness is in a highly significant majority.

That kind of 50/50 is actually fairly rare, but almost always results in a serious injury to the smaller of the two or the one with the lesser momentum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    The key word of course being momentum. That's the real villain, one suspects. The amount of broken legs I've seen over the years as a result of momentum in conjunction to sick *******s is in a highly significant majority.
    How are you going to reduce momentum? Ask them to run slower?

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8541108.stm

Guys WTF !!! Shawcross has been named for the England Squad !!

ReputationRep:
    If Wenger and Redknapp agreed to do a straight swap for every single player tommorow, and then it flopped and Wenger got sacked, would you still smile and carry on bearing in mind a completely different team and manager?
    Get off this board you retard. If you're not a fan we don't give a **** what you think.

Personally obviously I wish the absolute best to Aaron - a very talented boy. Seen a photo of the injury and he clearly broke both bones in his lower leg and his leg was bent back on itself towards the knee. Im no doctor but i'd imagine that having a clean break and it not being near his ankle will be in his favour (?) and bearing in mind Eduardo's miraculous return I think we can be optimistic. Busst's injury only ended his career because of subsequent infections but these days I'm sure he'll receive the best possible care. I hope Eduardo will be first the guy sees when he wakes up from whatever operations he has to go through.

As for the tackle, it clearly wasn't deliberate. However, I'm not convinced this is really the point. It is undoubtedly very reckless and isn't recklessness also something we should massively discourage? Should players not be given guidelines for pulling out of potentially career ending 50/50's? Moreover, I think that Shawcross is clearly a donkey - the fact that he follows through so far shows that he doesn't have the a modicum of the grace or control over his limbs compared to the arsenal players.

Yes, we have suffered this before, with Diaby and Eduardo, and they are both back now. Yes, teams like the kick lumps out of us, but I think that upto a point this is not a bad thing. Often we turn teams over when they take this approach.

Either way, the good news is that Aaron is young and, although talented, he certainly is not yet a key player (unlike Eduardo last season). More importantly, we won today, the boys did it for Aaron and there's no reason that we can't drive on from here and win the Championship. Rather than Gallas slumped on the field we had a group huddle. This injury and result could steel us for the games we have ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    How are you going to reduce momentum? Ask them to run slower?
    Was I arguing against momentum being present? :wtf: No. If you read it properly you'd see I was just confirming that being more of the issue than Shawcross.

ReputationRep:
    Shame it wasnt Bridge breaking Terry's leg.....
    What a story that would have been!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8541108.stm

Guys WTF !!! Shawcross has been named for the England Squad !!
    Wow thats a shocker. Ironic too. I wonder how him and Theo will get on.

ReputationRep:
    Great. 3 points off the top, keep winning and we might win the whole league. Great. It's like getting an A*...and then finding out the paper had the lowest grade boundaries in history. We have not been a force this season, compared to any team that has ever won the league. Whoever wins the Premiership this season will not be advertising the English game well, you may say it shows the strength and depth in the Premiership but I disagree, it shows complacency from over-payed footballers and poor management. If Mourinho took charge of Chelsea or Man Utd they would be at least 10 points clear of Arsenal at this stage.
    Oh dear god, if we do finally win a trophy, it's "we only won because everyone else was ****"??

Listen, if what happened today doesn't spark some siege mentality in your support for the Arsenal, nothing will. This is not the time to put a negative spin on everything -- it's a time when gooners should be uniting to try to push the team over the finishing line. We might win, we might not...but if today's events haven't made you proud of the club, you are no gooner.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.