Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    I believe that Arsenal take this approach because it's pareto superior. What have we got to lose?
    Seeing as it's "pareto-superior", I guess the opposition, rather than Arsenal have got everything to lose; and I agree with that line of reasoning completely.

However your posts suggested that if Arsenal engage in physical and sometimes hyperphysical play, the opposition will stop, or at least be more averse to playing physically; that's the bit I disagreed with.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually still in shock. The result feels kinda irrelevant.

If it was the pitches fault for ramsey's leg getting caught, doesn't that increase the case for there being certain pitch standards at premier league grounds like in the champions league? Even the pitches in bloody siberian russia are better than this. Wigan's tops them all though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    You need this kind of image (of Taylor and Eduardo obviously) to see if there was any error/malice in the tackle;

Although I have always generally been of the opinion that stills images need a certain amount of caution (whereby many of you should be careful with the ones coming on Ramsey's) that is obviously a lot more conclusive as to modus. Notice I have not said intent.

Shawcross = 50/50. Taylor = he was the initiator of the vast majority of force involved in the contact.

ReputationRep:
    From the pic, Fabs seemed to have known what was going to happen. (Tommy's pic, that is.)

Ouchies.

ReputationRep:
    It was a very reckless and aggressive attempt at winning the ball from Shawcross, obviously he never meant that as a result and it was nice to see him feel genuine remorse immediately, although the Arsenal lot were having none of it eg with Campbelll stamping around swearing having a hissy fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    From the replay, I'd say it wasn't deliberate, Shawcross looked genuinely sorry, but still, there are 50/50 tackles and then there's this one, once you see it you'll see what I mean. It's simply unacceptable and a 3 match ban doesn't suffice, there should be harder punishments for this sort of thing.

10 match game + a fine - which would certainly stamp out 90% of these horrendous, career-threatening tackles.
    No it wouldn't. These type of tackles only occur twice a season, if even that. Don't blow it out of proportion. Even if a 10 match game + fine was introduced no player would stop in a split second in a 50/50 tackle and think "hmmmmm, don't think I fancy a 10 match ban and a fine." It all happens so quickly, you don't have time to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    I'm actually still in shock. The result feels kinda irrelevant.

If it was the pitches fault for ramsey's leg getting caught, doesn't that increase the case for there being certain pitch standards at premier league grounds like in the champions league? Even the pitches in bloody siberian russia are better than this. Wigan's tops them all though.
    It could then be argued that Ramsey wasn't wearing the right studs to suit the prevailing conditions on the days, though.

I've decided not to watch MOTD, don't want to see any more Ramsey pics/vids, and/or hear opinions on it.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal couldn't get physical fairly if they tried, did you see Fabregas' failed attempt at the end...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Seeing as it's "pareto-superior", I guess the opposition, rather than Arsenal have got everything to lose; and I agree with that line of reasoning completely.

However your posts suggested that if Arsenal engage in physical and sometimes hyperphysical play, the opposition will stop, or at least be more averse to playing physically; that's the bit I disagreed with.
    I think the two points are related. Why do you disagree?

I think if Arsenal are also willing to 'dish it out' then opponents will be less likely to 'dish it out' in the first place. It's quite simple: If you kick someone, and they don't kick back, then you know if you kick them again, they still won't kick back. If you kick someone, and they kick back, then you're less likely to kick someone because you know that if you do kick someone, you're going to get kicked too.

ReputationRep:
    Well i saw a reply of the tackle on youtube before they took it down, but it look horrible.. especially all the pictures on there showing him lying with foot at a dodgy angle.

i really hope he does get well soon as he is extremely talented.

just hope it spurs on Arsenal to win the league

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    although the Arsenal lot were having none of it eg with Campbelll stamping around swearing having a hissy fit.
    Twas the only pleasing aspect of the terrible incident. Sol going ****in' ape (racist? Meh...)...

What would Gallas have done? Cried again?

Glad we had Sol out there today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    It could then be argued that Ramsey wasn't wearing the right studs to suit the prevailing conditions on the days, though.

I've decided not to watch MOTD, don't want to see any more Ramsey pics/vids, and/or hear opinions on it.

But that's the point, he got TOO much grip in the ground because of the divots. You have to agree that some of the pitches in the prem are a disgrace considering the money pumped in by sky.

ReputationRep:
    But that's the point, he got TOO much grip in the ground because of the divots. You have to agree that some of the pitches in the prem are a disgrace considering the money pumped in by sky.
    I'd agree with that, yes. I think you missed my point, but nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    Twas the only pleasing aspect of the terrible incident. Sol going ****in' ape (racist? Meh...)...

Agreed. He reminded me of King Kong. What a beast of a man.

ReputationRep:
    There are SOME very over the top comments on this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    It was a very reckless and aggressive attempt at winning the ball from Shawcross, obviously he never meant that as a result and it was nice to see him feel genuine remorse immediately, although the Arsenal lot were having none of it eg with Campbelll stamping around swearing having a hissy fit.
    Do you know that no-one on here has any respect for you or your opinion whatsoever, not even your own fans?

You're a laughing stock.

ReputationRep:

I think you're being harsh on Willy G. He's changed a lot in the last year or so since he lost the captaincy.

ReputationRep:
    I dont see what the big problem is here?

Yes he has got a bad injury, but that is football.

it happens from time to time. It wasnt even a particulary bad challenge.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're being harsh on Willy G. He's changed a lot in the last year or so since he lost the captaincy.
    Nah, I think we're way too lenient on him, really. We've been **** defensively for quite a few years...notably when Sol stopped leading our defence and Gallas took over. Gallas is not a leader and never will be. I appreciate that he has been professional after losing the captaincy but he's still ****in' clueless whenever a long ball is pumped in our area.

I'd swap Gallas for another Vermaelen any day. And I think that should be one of Wenger's priorities in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    The PL refs need to adopt a Colina Uefa approach. If you've ever noticed CL refs don't take any of this nonsense, the whistle is blown for the smallest of offences. And tbf it doesn't take away anything from the flow of the game.
    Champions League refereeing is some of the worst tbh.

------------------

On the plus side Sol is looking solid. When you signed him personally I thought he would be a flop but he looks like he will be a pretty good buy, like most of Wengers signings.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.