Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    It was a very reckless and aggressive attempt at winning the ball from Shawcross, obviously he never meant that as a result and it was nice to see him feel genuine remorse immediately, although the Arsenal lot were having none of it eg with Campbelll stamping around swearing having a hissy fit.
    First of all, thank you for that rep the other day!

To be perfectly honest you really have to put yourself into the situation here, and in that light you'd see Campbell was reacting as a number of people would. Imagine it in its raw psychology - you have just seen someone fly in with a tackle. It's so quick that all you register even from an immediate position is speed and force, not taking into account very clearly anything but that one is bigger than the other, on the opposing side, and walking away while your guy is lying there with his leg hanging off. Now, some people, dependent on their nature, age, maturity, etc., will react with muted shock. Some will react with highly defensive anger. In either case it's as natural a physiological reaction to the shock of the scenario as it was Shawcross crying.

Psychologically in fact it all tallies with what would be expected - Campbell as the oldest one in the immediate vicinity would be expected to be the most aggressive, whereas the younger ones tend to recede slightly more. It was nothing inhuman at all, and besides expected just as one would see in any incident where a friend has been hurt. Intent is really quite incidental, as odd as it sounds. It's far too instinctive and group based at such an early point.

All this of course is not forgetting the point that from Campbell's position, given line of sight etc., he would have seen Shawcross as essentially making an aggressive tackle - he would have appeared to be doing more running and probably as such appeared faster. So, from his position, he may have quite easily seen the Shawcross tackle as far, far worse than any of us with a side angle could.

If anyone cannot make leeway for all sorts of emotions like that being displayed in such a situation I don't know what to make of them.

A word should go to Whelan, the Stoke gentleman - it was not necessarily to be unexpected of a fellow professional in immediately going to Aaron as he did, but he took charge of the situation in a very composed and laudable manner. He did exactly the right thing all the way through in trying to calm him as much as could be allowed, keep his eyes off the injury etc., and I am awfully, awfully grateful to him. People forget how lonely it can be in such pain, particularly with people avoiding you or having looks of horror on their faces, so to see someone step up and take charge so calmly like that was an outstanding sight. Real leadership.

EDIT: Danke Kev. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Nah, I think we're way too lenient on him, really. We've been **** defensively for quite a few years...notably when Sol stopped leading our defence and Gallas took over. Gallas is not a leader and never will be. I appreciate that he has been professional after losing the captaincy but he's still ****in' clueless whenever a long ball is pumped in our area.

I'd swap Gallas for another Vermaelen any day. And I think that should be one of Wenger's priorities in the summer.
    You're right that he's not as good as a 30 year old Sol but he has put in some very strong performances this year. Against liverpool he was a rock.

ReputationRep:
    how did you know it was me?

ReputationRep:
    I think you mean Whelan, Poo.

ReputationRep:
    Subs can see who repped them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    I think you mean Whelan, Poo.
    Ah. Thanks. Either way, class act.

As Marcus said, as a sub, I can see who repped. I can also see up natty d's skirt and into Rob's secret love temple. :sexface:

Actually, I will rep you back for that as you didn't sign and clearly didn't know I knew. I like it when people aren't scrounging and try rewarding it when I can.

ReputationRep:
    Haha busted!

The embarrassment of repping a gooner!

ReputationRep:
    i cant even remember what it was for, although i thought i'd leave an air of mystery about it.

ReputationRep:
    I know everything.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks rich, I feel like a highly reputable member of tsr.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC have generally been getting worse recently, right across the site. I even now play a little game with myself sometimes in trying to spot the errors in articles. Seriously. I saw one, think it was in the science section, a little while back that looked as if it had been written by a ten year old. It was embarrassing.

Cfc, got to become a Gooner to do that mate. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    I can't. Fml. :getmecoat:
    However, you have just been promoted to the WUMeration team, for which I send my hearty congratulations. You must be very proud.

Ah, those bygone times, with pms marked "WUMeration Matters," late night insults, GEL stress. That was the life. :coma: I really hope you WUM well, or else I'll be in AAW every ******* night trying to piss you off kk? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    I am.

Kk.

...off to the Chelsea soc.
    This WUM looks as if he's been doing it all his life. *wipes tear*

Marcus, thanks for the rep dude. :hugs: I've had a bit of an explosion past few days actually, ever since I got a -6 pt neg from a H&R troll for "being ******* gay" in saying I'm attracted to girls in the medical profession. :zomg: Don't you just love this place?

Btw, Iso is now due his crumble JK. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    I think the two points are related. Why do you disagree?

I think if Arsenal are also willing to 'dish it out' then opponents will be less likely to 'dish it out' in the first place. It's quite simple: If you kick someone, and they don't kick back, then you know if you kick them again, they still won't kick back. If you kick someone, and they kick back, then you're less likely to kick someone because you know that if you do kick someone, you're going to get kicked too.
    Oh, fair enough. I was only viewing it from a manager's point of view and not a player's, but I guess expectancy of being on the receiving end of pain would make players averse to "dishing it out". The only reason I disagreed was because it seemed like you were saying this was the only reason why being physical would be positive for Arsenal i.e to stop opposition from playing hyperphysically.

The main reason I think physicality would improve Arsenal is simply to maximise their efficiency and potential, without necessarily having to decrease the opposition's physicality. I.e even if the opposite persisted in playing thuggishly, Arsenal could easily have the edge. Put simply, they would match the opposition in their stifling and anti-football tactics, but surpass them in attacking and technical prowess.

I'd have given a detailed and less wishy-washy account, but you'd probably get bored, and MoTD is on. So in summary, if you consider Big Sam's thinking when we used to be able to overcome you, back in the day, he saw an Arsenal team with attacking prowess of +10 compared to say, a Bolton attack of +5. With limited technical ability, the only way to stifle a good attacking team is to play physically, taking away maybe -6 from Arsenal's attack, while Arsenal's lack of aggression may only take -1 from Bolton's attack (******** figures I know, but you get the picture). If Arsenal don't match lower teams in this ugly, negative football department, then the opposition can break up Arsenal's flow while Arsenal leave the opposition relatively unantagonised.

I don't know if any of that made sense, but basically, if Arsenal match lower opposition in physicality, stifling their flow and play, then they should theoretically have the edge in attacking and technical departments. If they let them play hyperphysically while they leave the opposition unantagonised, then they may scrape a win. That's the impression I got of Big Sam's thinking and it seems as if a lot of managers play like this, because they know they can stifle Arsenal, while being left unantagonised. That's how I think we beat you 3/4 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    I am.

Kk.

...off to the Chelsea soc.
    To be honest I prefer a WUMming IRL for anything and everything. I could make a career out of it My favourite of all time was the fat girl who came up to me in a club for no reason whatsoever and said, "You know what I don't think you're all that attractive". She got the biggest WUM of her life. I didn't resort to violence or low level insults but she was close to tears. I don't normally insult people like that but she deserved it. :cool: I much prefer WUMming on an annoying level TBPH

ReputationRep:
    "Shawcross doesn't have that kind of reputation though does he?"

BBC :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    As I thought, Ramsey's leg was planted and on its side. As a result I sympathise with Shawcross, it should have been a yellow at most really.

ReputationRep:
    Arsene doesn't believe in coincidence :rofl:

I refuse to watch it from close up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad that I got to see a replay, it wasn't 50/50, more 60/40 to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    "Shawcross doesn't have that kind of reputation though does he?"

BBC :facepalm:
    FFS I hate it when the british media comes up with this line.

And for their information he DOES have that reputation. Just ask the fox in the box.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.