Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    The tactical regimen therefore employed by teams who set out to kick us, which broadly I think we'd have to concede is rather accurate a term, is in my opinion very much a case of cutting one's nose off to spite one's face. Is Arsene being stubborn in always playing as he feels we should, or actually being brave? It makes me laugh when people accuse us of doing that when the teams who publicly talk about battering us senseless for ninety minutes can hardly be accused of strategic dynamism. The simple fact of the matter is Arsene is giving these kids an education in aspects of the game that extend beyond the pitch. He knows the value of winning, but most importantly he knows the value of winning well. The Sam Allardyce's and Phil Brown's of this world are microcosms of sheer uncultured idiocy, whereby they are perhaps the real stubborn ones. They just want to win and are safe in the knowledge there is no more to their jobs than that.

Such a pity, as they're missing out on a world of learning themselves.
    That seems to be the problem with English football on the whole. Winning at any cost, whether it means cheating or breaking another player's leg it will be done. Not many players in the England team are that technically gifted and it's probably why there'll be another unsuccessful World Cup. To see managers like Pulis signing players because of height rather than talent is dismaying and although he's done quite well I think it's quite a short term solution and in the long run Stoke will most probably suffer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ar5enal Fan)
    That seems to be the problem with English football on the whole. Winning at any cost, whether it means cheating or breaking another player's leg it will be done. Not many players in the England team are that technically gifted and it's probably why there'll be another unsuccessful World Cup. To see managers like Pulis signing players because of height rather than talent is dismaying and although he's done quite well I think it's quite a short term solution and in the long run Stoke will most probably suffer.
    Don't kid yourself, it's the same worldwide with winning at any cost, whether it be Brazil, Argentina or Italy. Each want to win but have developed different methods in doing so. The game evolved differently in different countries and regions of the world, and as a result different styles and tactics have evolved. The game happens to be more physical over here: the same way it is in Germany, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and most of South America.

Why is it dismaying to see players signed because they have height? Stop being ridiculous. Unless you're something special, being a certain height as a centre-back is almost manadatory. I'm surprised you haven't shown dismay at players with pace or being signed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    Don't kid yourself, it's the same worldwide with winning at any cost, whether it be Brazil, Argentina or Italy. Each want to win but have developed different methods in doing so. The game evolved differently in different countries and regions of the world, and as a result different styles and tactics have evolved. The game happens to be more physical over here: the same way it is in Germany, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and most of South America.

Why is it dismaying to see players signed because they have height? Stop being ridiculous. Unless you're something special, being a certain height as a centre-back is almost manadatory. I'm surprised you haven't shown dismay at players with pace or being signed.
    Yes, but when a team employs such cynical tactics to win a game, then you rely on competent referees to ensure that the game is played properly and I don't think most referees in England are good enough tbh.

Also I meant it was dismaying the way Pulis and the media making it as though signing players just because of height was something to be proud of and I would be dismayed if Wenger signed players just because of their pace, we've already got Walcott :p:

ReputationRep:
    Our entire squad is pretty pacy actually. In terms of a balance of technical skill and speed I'd say Rosicky is the most gifted, followed by Nasri.

Didn't get to see much of Song yesterday, but he looked pretty solid in that slot of his. I think whenever Song plays that gives the other 'holding' midfielder the confidence to push forward with Cesc and the three attackers, giving us a 5-5 situation, whereas when we have Denilson in there we have to keep the other one back.

ReputationRep:
    Arseblog - Powerful stuff this morning.

I won't bring up the Ramsey thing although he urges everyone to kick up a fuss because it's our duty to. I agree with him and everyone else that it's not acceptable, but unlike him and everyone else, I've given up. No-one's going to listen or care. Until we break some English ****'s leg, no-one's going to care. It's that simple. Song, Diaby, Vermaelen, Sol, Gallas need to go out with the intention of doing exactly what Shawcross had the intention of doing; that's not to break someone's leg, but hey...in a ridiculous swipe at someone's shin at full force, if Ashley Young's, Steven Gerrard's, Wayne Rooney's, Frank Lampard's, Aaron Lennon's...(you get the point)...leg does get broken...**** it, "**** happens", right?

(Original post by Arseblog)
    Cesc Fabregas became the leader Arsenal fans have so dearly wanted for so long. I won't hear a thing about how he's not a captain because he ******* well is. First goal - assist for Bendtner's fantastic header. Second goal - a penalty under the most intense pressure imaginable. He had the balls to get up there, take it and score it. Third goal - assist for Vermaelen. Nor did he stand for any of Stoke's baiting. He had a little kick at one of their players who had kicked him earlier. He Sssshhh'd Tony Pulis. He dragged his Arsenal team over the line. He led by example last night and at the end of the game our players stood in a huddle, knowing they'd shown what they're made of, and the captain rallied his troops. Each one of them was fantastic last night. The lessons of Birmingham have been learned.

I know people all have their opinions of this team, the players, the managers and everything else but if last night didn't make you proud to be an Arsenal fan then there's something wrong with you. My spine is tingling even thinking about it.

I think that sometimes we lose sight of why and how we support our football club, and while you'd never want to be reminded because of what happened to Aaron Ramsey last night did just that. Our reaction, our desire, our spirit, our togetherness, it was the Arsenal.

I love the Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Our entire squad is pretty pacy actually. In terms of a balance of technical skill and speed I'd say Rosicky is the most gifted, followed by Nasri.

Didn't get to see much of Song yesterday, but he looked pretty solid in that slot of his. I think whenever Song plays that gives the other 'holding' midfielder the confidence to push forward with Cesc and the three attackers, giving us a 5-5 situation, whereas when we have Denilson in there we have to keep the other one back.
    In terms of balance and technical skill I would defo say Diaby, not so sure about his speed though. Diaby's ability to "protect the ball" is outstanding and they why he always turns around and his close ball control is second only to Van Persie imo:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    Awesome image. Sums up our spirit.

:love: x 1000000000

ReputationRep:
    Have you won a cup final or something? LOL

ReputationRep:
    Song's close control is pretty impressive actually as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    Have you won a cup final or something? LOL
    Can you leave us to admire our team in peace pls?

ReputationRep:
    All this talk about technical skill etc. reminds me of Hleb; I love his style of dribbling and I enjoyed watching him when he was with you... but

Why did he leave? I'm very curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    All this talk about technical skill etc. reminds me of Hleb; I love his style of dribbling and I enjoyed watching him when he was with you... but

Why did he leave? I'm very curious.
    He bought out his own contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    He bought out his own contract.
    :unsure:

No he didn't. He was sold for 17m euros.

ReputationRep:
    If any of you are interested I've just started a thread on goalkeeping, so feel free to ask me any questions about myself or what I know about playing in goal, ways to improve, etc etc.

Hleb was a very good player, but far too inconsistent. He had brilliant close control but often dribbled the ball too far, and his lack of a shot meant that the space he created going past people was often wasted.

ReputationRep:
    Arseblog was excellent this morning... really hit home everything I feel right now really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    :unsure:

No he didn't. He was sold for 17m euros.
    Don't know what I was thinking of then :conused: thought I'd read that somewhere (on this thread maybe)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Don't know what I was thinking of then :conused: thought I'd read that somewhere (on this thread maybe)
    Yes, I remember that being discussed on here. It was about the Webster Ruling and the powers players have. Hleb had the option of doing that, I think...or 'about to' have the option...or something.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Overmars. We need to kick back. Break a few legs ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    I'm with Overmars. We need to kick back. Break a few legs ourselves.
    You monster! :eek:

How can you sleep at night?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    You monster! :eek:

How can you sleep at night?!
    Tired of seeing this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Nothing is going to change unless we force the issue.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.