Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Fabregas will start breaking legs instead of crying.

Now that would be quite something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    I don't consider 3 broken legs in 4 years to be an acceptable price to pay for "committed" football, yet apparently so many people do. Hopefully Cesc disagrees with me, but really, he shouldn't.
    Yeah but each time its happened I've seem determination on his face, not fear. As Overmars said, he's tougher than we give him credit for and I think he is driven by the competiveness in this league, he'll be like every other EPL to spain transfer, a disapointment.

ReputationRep:
    He's watched 3 teammates have their legs broken, he's watched countless injuries resulted from reckless challenges, he's been kicked, pushed, pulled and hit up and down the country. He is one of the best players in the world, why should he be playing in a league where every game he's risking his career?

I don't consider 3 broken legs in 4 years to be an acceptable price to pay for "committed" football, yet apparently so many people do. Hopefully Cesc disagrees with me, but really, he shouldn't.
    This, you see, is the voice of common sense and reason in an era where the nation seems to be collectively insane as to what constitutes an acceptable way of playing the beautiful game.

It's not nice to hear necessarily, and I'm sure you take no particularly pleasure in saying it Panth, but this is the cold hard truth.

The situation is now so exasperating, so utterly unbalanced, that the "every man for himself" mentality makes rational sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry-AA)
    Yeah but each time its happened I've seem determination on his face, not fear. As Overmars said, he's tougher than we give him credit for and I think he is driven by the competiveness in this league, he'll be like every other EPL to spain transfer, a disapointment.
    Nah. He's far too good to flop in La Liga.

But he can 'make it' here.

ReputationRep:
    It's going to take me a long time to understand why any player would move from a increasingly talented club where he is considered a star and god-like by the supporters, to a club where he will find it difficult to start, probably considered a flop by the supporters in a League that, personally, I find very dull (fair enough its his home country). But still overall I think Cesc has more reasons to stay where he is, especially if its playing football that he has a passion for, not just winning tropheys from the bench.
    A flop? Do you mean considered a flop now or could be considered a flop if he moved?

ReputationRep:
    So WUMing has its own Church, tv programmes, films, talent shows, we're nearing towards a race of huWUMs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    A flop? Do you mean considered a flop now or could be considered a flop if he moved?
    If he moved, I just can't see him performing at the standards we know he will achieve over here.

ReputationRep:
    You could tell by his post-match interview that Cesc is sick of it, but you don't throw yourself into reckless challenges like this after seeing a broken leg if you're not up for the fight. The penalty and the performance in general was of a proper leader who isn't planning on pissing off any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    So WUMing has its own Church, tv programmes, films, talent shows, we're nearing towards a race of huWUMs...
    ...and that's when you know it's time for bed! Goodnight one and all!

ReputationRep:
    If he moved, I just can't see him performing at the standards we know he will achieve over here.
    It seems to me that that's due more to the fact you don't want to imagine him in other colours. There's no evidence to suggest he'd be a flop, whereas there is an abundance of it to suggest the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    But luckily for us, Cesc is made of tougher stuff than many give him credit for and he'll be with us for a while yet.
    Oh I agree, and I think he'll fight for us for every minute he's on that pitch. He was our captain on Saturday, he truly was. But if over the summer, he's at home, surrounded by family and asks himself what is really best for him, it's a no-brainer. I take no pleasure in saying it whatsoever and it's got nothing to do with success or silverware and I'm not downplaying the fantastic team spirit and togetherness that was shown on Saturday, but this whole incident has just left me... sad.

(Original post by Overmars)
    While this is no way an excuse for Stoke's (and any other cloggers) tactics, what I do know is that there's no way Pulis and Stoke would've tried to pull this **** when Keown and Vieira were around.
    I've been angry, I've thought of calling for horrific retaliatory tackles, constant raised studs, raking swipes, the lot, but I don't really believe it. I'd rather be a martyr then resort to thuggery and my overwhelming emotion is not anger, but sadness. I'm sad that this kind of thing is allowed, I'm sad that repeated calls have been ignored, I'm sad that after 3 broken legs, still nothing will be done. It's not right, and there's next to nothing we as fans or a club can do about it.

Playing for this club is supposed is be a fantastic career move for any young player, how long before it becomes a massive risk? This is about far more than just Shawcross and we can't let this go. Even if we win the league, I'm not getting over this, not for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    Why not? Imagine him alongside Iniesta with the likes of Ibra and Messi to feed and play off of, he would far from flop imo.
    Okay maybe I'm just being idealistic, I just don't want him to go
    He's such a tremendous player and the annoying thing about Arsene's plan is that his players develop into world class assests, but they're assests that all want to achieve the most the can, which at the moment isn't at Arsenal and hasn't been for a while, that is changing though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    It seems to me that that's due more to the fact you don't want to imagine him in other colours. There's no evidence to suggest he'd be a flop, whereas there is an abundance of it to suggest the opposite.
    Yeah I've realised... ^^^ :/

I say we try and haggle Henry in the transfer deal (if cesc goes ofc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    I'll be up in a min
    I think you mean up FOR a min :sexface:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    There have been a few people saying that Aaron broke his leg before contact was made with Shawcross. I have to say that I can see where they are coming from. Aaron's foot was already placed at an awkward angle just before he got tackled. Take a look in the spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Show

Yes it's very rare to see something like this happen, but it's definitely not an impossibility. :dontknow:

What do you people think? :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    I've been angry, I've thought of calling for horrific retaliatory tackles, constant raised studs, racking swipes, the lot, but I don't really believe it. I'd rather be a martyr then resort to thuggery and my overwhelming emotion is not anger, but sadness. I'm sad that this kind of thing is allowed, I'm sad that repeated calls have been ignored, I'm sad that after 3 broken legs, still nothing will be done. It's not right, and there's next to nothing we as fans or a club can do about it.

Playing for this club is supposed is be a fantastic career move for any young player, how long before it becomes a massive risk? This is about far more than just Shawcross and we can't let this go. Even if we win the league, I'm not getting over this, not for a long time.
    Strong words.

As you can probably tell, my morals were ****ed over a long time ago. When it happened with Eduardo, I knew nothing was going to be done. It was blatantly obvious. And it'll happen again. And again. Fortunately for the cretins that stick by the "**** happens" line, enough time will have passed (a year?) that using that same line again will make sense to them...because they just don't give a ****.

I'm calling for the "horrific retaliatory tackles". The only way we are going to stop this is by shaking off this 'Arsenal can be bullied' tag. It might not be fair (and I know it's not fair) but it's the only step we can take. I'm ****ing sick of watching our guys can ****ed over time and time again. The whole 'martyr' thing just isn't worth it for me. I couldn't give a flying **** about keeping the moral highground if it meant we lower the probability of teams approaching us with the intention to hurt us.

I want Wenger to leave us with the same type of side we had when he took over. How 'good' we are, footballing quality and entertainment must go out the window. I don't care if we drift down to league 2 -- I just want us to do the ****in' kicking. Believe it or not, that's honestly the stage it has got to. I've been saying the same for a while now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    I just think it was because the foot was planted and so his leg took the full force of Shawcross' momentum, had it broken before, then the damage after Shawcross' contact would surely have been a lot worse?

Anyway, I'm off, Amii needs a good seeing to... and I have about 10 hours worth of maths to do for tomorrow, all-nighter methinks

WUM ya later :awesome:
    Perhaps. It just looks really weird to me.

ReputationRep:
    How about this, it becomes perfectly acceptable for a player to pull out of a 50/50 and then just stay there with his studs raised over ball height with a locked out leg. If the other player is coming in with a controlled challenge, they can see this, adjust accordingly and play the ball (which is what they are going for right?), win possession and go nowhere near the boot. If the incoming player is lunging without control, he'll smash his own shin into the studs that are just "standing their ground" and is solidly locked out in a show of "physical strength" and hopefully rip out a few tendons. We'll all nod and agree what a shame it was that he was "too quick" (it's not hard to be quicker than stationary, but "that's football" ) and then move to how horrible is must be for the other player to feel his studs slicing through human flesh. Never be the same that lad.

I'm back to angry again now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    I just think it was because the foot was planted and so his leg took the full force of Shawcross' momentum, had it broken before, then the damage after Shawcross' contact would surely have been a lot worse?

Anyway, I'm off, Amii needs a good seeing to... and I have about 10 hours worth of maths to do for tomorrow, all-nighter methinks

WUM ya later :awesome:
    I don't think Ramsay would have a leg left if that was the case, I think picture is misleading, it looks like shawcross hasn't made contact yet but I'm sure he has, I think it's cos he's hit ramsey with such force that his leg bounced back as the momentum
    carried him round Ramsey. 2d photos can really mislead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    Perhaps. It just looks really weird to me.
    I honestly don't know what to make of it. I've seen the photos, slow-motion HD clips and so forth but... :dontknow: I do know I don't want to see them again for a while.

I'm not in any trying to say it wasn't a horrific tackle, though.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.