Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    It's physical contact one way or the other both of which are integral to their relative sports. The majority of invasion ball sports are highly physical games (Basketball and Handball are the only two major exceptions). Take the physical nature away and you are left without the sport.
    Now you're backtracking, or at least sidetracking.

Where have I suggested eliminating the physical aspect of the game? I even suggested as much the other day as absurd.

We're talking the culture of determining the degree of physical contact and how difficult it is to gauge. If you can't see that then I suggest you go and watch Blackburn or something and wallow in your English mess, because I certainly want no part in arguing with this madness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    :rofl: You're in. We need to all work on our Eboue technique for Strictly WUM dancing but we're sorted for the WUM factor.
    Funnily enough I just remembered about 2006 I was holidaying in Egypt about the same time as the ACN and my brother and cousin spoke to Eboue for like 10 mins:eek: because they went to watch one of the group stages while me lazy arse was in bed..apparently no one knew him, they all gathered around Kolo for signatures.

Worst day of my life

ReputationRep:
    "Of all the teams I have seen all over the world, Arsenal talk or complain to the ref the least.

This may seem insignificant at first, but is a major component of the English game to let the ref know whats happening.

The difference between United and Arsenal is purely naivety. When United faced Arsenal, United players exaggerated every foul by Song, and were in the refs ear, until he got an early yellow, while there were no complaints at all from Arsenal players.

Its little things like that, that provide protection, not the FA. If Arsenal had managed to get a few Stoke players yellow carded early on, Shawcross would have been playing with much more circumspect. I wouldnt even condone diving when you are up against players not interested in winning the ball."

A worthy comment, I thought. Agree or disagree?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I'm not an Arsenal fan so the question is probably not for me but I disagreed with the very first sentence tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Mine was better, you have to admit that much. A lot easier to teach, too. Even Stalin could learn my one. :teehee:
    tbf I typed in my first attempt and TSR converted it to thousands of asterisks

That said my second attempt was better than yours (damn right). In footballing terms it would be your Ireland against my Brazil and did you see the second goal:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    Once again I am astonished at the apologia going on for this. It just defies belief.
    No-one's denying that Ramsey's break was horrific but football has always been a contact sport with risks involved and should remain so. Ramsey put his body on the line and was unlucky enough to pay a serious price. Shawcross was fully entitled to make the challenge for the ball as much as Ramsey was.

No-one would even be talking about the tackle were it not for the resulting injury. Ultimately tackles like this happen repeatedly without casuing any damage, yet alone casuing an injury this serious, and, furthermore, injuries as serious as this occur just as frequently without any foul play being involved.

Arsenal have been a victim of chance in having three injuries like this occur in a reasonably short space of time. If you buy a ticket, then you're in with a chance, and that's why people win lotteries. Arsenal have won this one they didn't want to win. There's no evidence whatsoever that Arsenal are being targeted with harsher tackles anymore or anyless than any other side in the league, other than those of anecdotal evidence and self-fulfilling prophecies.

Anyway, going bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    Good God.
    Call him a prick and win some warning points.

If we ceased to be able to deride and embarrass mentally deficient posters of these forums, then football forums as we know it, would be dead.

Lawl.

There aren't enough faces or palms on God's green earth for this absolute creature. Seriously... member block ftw.

Stop quoting him, I don't want his polluted streams of consciousness infecting me with mental cholera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    "Of all the teams I have seen all over the world, Arsenal talk or complain to the ref the least.

This may seem insignificant at first, but is a major component of the English game to let the ref know whats happening.
    That's usually because we want the game to flow as much as possible. It takes a big injustice for us to surround the refs.

The difference between United and Arsenal is purely naivety. When United faced Arsenal, United players exaggerated every foul by Song, and were in the refs ear, until he got an early yellow, while there were no complaints at all from Arsenal players.

Its little things like that, that provide protection, not the FA. If Arsenal had managed to get a few Stoke players yellow carded early on, Shawcross would have been playing with much more circumspect. I wouldnt even condone diving when you are up against players not interested in winning the ball."

A worthy comment, I thought. Agree or disagree?
    The more you foul, the more the ref will let you get away with. The referee is never going to book 5 players in the first half hour. And after that, the ref is restricted by trying to keep consistency.

Our problem is we foul less than our opponents, so when we do do it, we're called up on it and Song or whoever gets booked. It takes us around 2 challenges to get a yellow whereas it takes our opponents 6 or 7, say. If we fouled every 2 mins, then we'd also get away with 5 more fouls....which could be useful if we knew how to defend set-pieces. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, it's the bit where he talks about the naivety of the team that struck home. Food for thought I think.

ReputationRep:
    No-one's denying that Ramsey's break was horrific but football has always been a contact sport with risks involved and should remain so. Ramsey put his body on the line and was unlucky enough to pay a serious price. Shawcross was fully entitled to make the challenge for the ball as much as Ramsey was.

No-one would even be talking about the tackle were it not for the resulting injury. Ultimately tackles like this happen repeatedly without casuing any damage, yet alone casuing an injury this serious, and, furthermore, injuries as serious as this occur just as frequently without any foul play being involved.

Arsenal have been a victim of chance in having three injuries like this occur in a reasonably short space of time. If you buy a ticket, then you're in with a chance, and that's why people win lotteries. Arsenal have won this one they didn't want to win. There's no evidence whatsoever that Arsenal are being targeted with harsher tackles anymore or anyless than any other side in the league, other than those of anecdotal evidence and self-fulfilling prophecies.

Anyway, going bed.
    Have United had a player get their leg snapped by a tackle in your lifetime, or better still, your living memory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Have United had a player get their leg snapped by a tackle in your lifetime, or better still, your living memory?
    Didn't Possebon break his in 2008 against boro. Pogatetz(sp?) with a two footer.

Edit: http://blogs.kent.ac.uk/law/2009/06/...-a-broken-leg/ and this one. Career was ended.

2 in the space of a year and a half, must be a conspiracy :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    Stalin would start eating his own **** before he got to finish learning either of them tbh, but yeah, out of the 2 I'd give it to you, but both are good enough to get a place on the team atm.
    Wum Wum WUm, now
    Wum WUm WUm, now
    Wum WUm pow
    Wum WUm

Yo, I got that WUM that beat the block
    You can get that WUM overload
    I'm on the supersonic WUM
    Y'all hear my spaceship zoom

That digital spit
    Next level visual ****
    I got that WUM WUM WOO
    How the beat bang, WUM WUM pow

If that isn't good enough then we all need to sleep

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe that hardly anyone has condemned the tackles that we have to suffer and in fact I've been criticised, and I'm sure many other Arsenal fans have, just for being outraged that our player has had his leg broken by such a reckless challenge. This isn't going to stop even if we kick back, because even if we do there'll probably be some huge hate campaign launched about Arsenal being hypocrites. I'm already dreading the next leg break because it will happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Didn't Possebon break his in 2008 against boro. Pogatetz(sp?) with a two footer.

Edit: http://blogs.kent.ac.uk/law/2009/06/...-a-broken-leg/ and this one. Career was ended.
    It somehow wasn't broken, but they thought it was until they got him to the hospital.

ReputationRep:
    Overmars - are you suggesting we kick the opposition players? That's not going to solve anything... The game has simply changed (quicker, more precise) and thus the rules need to be updated to keep up.

ReputationRep:
    It somehow wasn't broken, but they thought it was until they got him to the hospital.
    Ah well the other lad had his career ended so that seems pretty bad tbf :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'm blowing up eggs in the microwave as I'm bored. Could anyone care to suggest a setting? It's a Panasonic 850w, so is fairly powerful.

My Fb peeps are helping me drawing up a hitlist, and I will paint representative faces on them before they face execution. Then I will post a leaderboard. Bets are accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Possebon's looked for all the world to be broken until they got him to the hospital and did x-rays, and even the media didn't know until the next morning it wasn't. I'm trying to remember but I don't think a a player has broken leg in a tackle in a first team game in recent memory, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    tbf I typed in my first attempt and TSR converted it to thousands of asterisks

That said my second attempt was better than yours (damn right). In footballing terms it would be your Ireland against my Brazil and did you see the second goal:mmm:
    McShane. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Put Jizzer as one of them. :yy:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.