Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    That argument would only stand if the challenge was one of those "rough-'em up" challenges. It wasn't
    Wrong.

(Original post by Arseblog)
    He is not trying to just win the ball, he is trying to hit the ball as hard as he possibly can. He is swinging through like a golf shot, it's utterly reckless and that's what broke Ramsey's leg.
    ^ What he said.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone questioning passion in regards to brutal tackles, is daft. Look at Henry, he showed as much passion as you're going to get at Arsenal. Same applies with Cesc. Where English football has gone wrong is by equating passion to physicality. This is why England are very unlikely to get past the quarter finals this summer.

ReputationRep:
    We could probably get Melo for £7m :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Just wait till rooney, lamps, or gerrad breaks his leg....then lets see what the reaction is. It might not happen soon, but when it does....the outcry and the reaction from the media will be fun to watch

ReputationRep:
    Odds for the next Arsenal player to break a leg:

Gibbs 2:1
    Walcott 3:1
    Clichy 7:1
    Vela 11:1
    Nasri 14:1

Eboue doesn't get a mention because he's god and unbreakable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Wrong.

^ What he said.
    Which is not the same as a "rough-em up challenge". The guy even says it himself, he's going for the ball not the man, and while it was reckless there's nothing to suggest that Stoke's style of play influenced that recklessness because, like I've already said several times, these injuries happen in all sorts of matches between all sorts of teams with all sorts of philosophies. No amount of protection from referees will prevent it from happening. There's literally hundreds of those types of challenges every week like Shawcross and Ramsey, where one player concedes a foul against another in an act of recklessness because they believe they can get to the ball. And in most of those times, thankfully, the fouled player gets away without significant damage. Ramsey got very unlucky, just as Kieron Dyer did, as Djibril Cisse did, etc.

If there's malice in a challenge (e.g. Keane on Haaland), chances are the players are going to do it regardless if they're going to get sent off, so if somebody intentionally tries to injure another player they will. If it's an accident (as in the injury, not the challenge), then it's obviously not planned and therefore the protection from the referee won't help because it's not like the player intended to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    That is a myth.

I've watched Arsenal more than you, and I can honestly say their approach was absolutely nothing like Stoke/Bolton etc. We had one or two dirty players, but the general approach was very positive. Petit wasn't dirty btw, not every DM has to fall in to the masch/gattuso bracket. You can't use Vieira to represent what the invincibles were like when it came to tackling. That's just stupid.
    Not all Stoke's players are the same as Shawcross, if you want to take the tack of Vieira isn't truly representative of the Invincibles. But of course, Stoke are a team of brutes.

I give up wrt this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)

:rofl:

My money is on Walcott. His leg is about the only thing he hasn't broken so far.

This is what happens if you go to break Eboue's leg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Not all Stoke's players are the same as Shawcross, if you want to take the tack of Vieira isn't truly representative of the Invincibles. But of course, Stoke are a team of brutes.

I give up wrt this.
    Stoke are a team of brutes except for one or two. Arsenal were not a team of brutes except for one or two. It is quite clear to see, that's what I was trying to say. You're just trying to win an argument on other grounds, because you know you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    Stoke are a team of brutes except for one or two. Arsenal were not a team of brutes except for one or two. It is quite clear to see, that's what I was trying to say. You're just trying to win an argument on other grounds, because you know you're wrong.
    I'm wrong, you're right, I bow to thee, football deity. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    Which is not the same as a "rough-em up challenge". The guy even says it himself, he's going for the ball not the man, and while it was reckless there's nothing to suggest that Stoke's style of play influenced that recklessness because, like I've already said several times, these injuries happen in all sorts of matches between all sorts of teams with all sorts of philosophies. No amount of protection from referees will prevent it from happening. There's literally hundreds of those types of challenges every week like Shawcross and Ramsey, where one player concedes a foul against another in an act of recklessness because they believe they can get to the ball. And in most of those times, thankfully, the fouled player gets away without significant damage. Ramsey got very unlucky, just as Kieron Dyer did, as Djibril Cisse did, etc.

If there's malice in a challenge (e.g. Keane on Haaland), chances are the players are going to do it regardless if they're going to get sent off, so if somebody intentionally tries to injure another player they will. If it's an accident (as in the injury, not the challenge), then it's obviously not planned and therefore the protection from the referee won't help because it's not like the player intended to do it.
    Tbh, I think it's ****in' stupid if anything thinks that even though Shawcross having a swipe like that, he didn't mean to hurt Ramsey. He did mean to hurt Ramsey. And yes, there are 3475954873 challenges every game where players intend to hurt other players. Do they intend to break legs? No. But you're maximising the probability of that happening when you go in recklessly. It's responsibility for actions, not responsibility for intent, that we're calling for. So while you're used to watching pub teams do the same every ****in' week, it doesn't make fair.

And because we're not going to agree on 'intent', I've posted this video a couple of times already in the hope that it'd save me from having to spell it out. Doesn't seem like it worked, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:

WTF :rofl: how do you make odds like that :P If you did manage to break Eboues leg he would just stand up and break your head TBPH.

(Original post by Michelin Man)
    Don't forget us lending you Roger Chesney
    That was more a reason for a season's hero worship of Wenger. Now I want your team to do well as well. :gah:

ReputationRep:
    I think the sig above with John Terry being kicked in the face shows some of the hypocrisy that certain fans dabble in :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    I think the sig above with John Terry being kicked in the face shows some of the hypocrisy that certain fans dabble in :dontknow:
    I think if anyone deserves a kick in the face it's probably him. And that was purely accidental. Look where he put his head.

ReputationRep:
    Your lack of understanding about how evidence equates to a substantiated argument is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    HAHA. you think it was Diabys fault? It wasn't rough play, terry dived into the ball very stupidly bravely. Diaby had no idea Terry was coming in for that ball at all.

(Original post by Hubert Poo)
    And yes I am still blowing up eggs.
    Such a GEL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    x
    Rofl your sig is jokes mate :rofl:

ReputationRep:

:rofl: That's why Eboue is king :adore:

I'm gonna bet Walcott or Nasri

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.