Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    Do you know who it is that has to approve it?
    I have had a chat with one of the supers and it's pending for the mod designated to deal with socs, which I gather is Dh. The fact the url given is the Arse soc might be an issue, despite the fact it's technically correct. :rolleyes:

If it gets turned down on that, I will not be happy. There are precedents for this kind of soc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Scratch Walcott for a second; what would you say you need more of, if anything?
    arsenal winning the league will be more then enough

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness when was the last time Walcott had a really good game for Arsenal? I can't help but feel that there's several better options for England on the right right now.

ReputationRep:
    It's an orientation game. Capello's checking him over to see whether he can go at all, rather than confirming his place.

ReputationRep:
    But still, we know he can do it, but when was the last time he did?

ReputationRep:
    Walcott has been decent. Hardly been as woeful as Lampard/Gerrard/Baines... they're a mess most of them.

ReputationRep:
    Against Croatia. Been playing under the burden of those expectations ever since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    In all seriousness when was the last time Walcott had a really good game for Arsenal? I can't help but feel that there's several better options for England on the right right now.
    Walcott just doesn't play enough. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    None of the England team have been good. Stop looking for a scapegoat to hide Englands deficiencies.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say a burden because he's been dining out on that performance ever since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    It's an orientation game. Capello's checking him over to see whether he can go at all, rather than confirming his place.
    I disagree. After thinking about it, I think Theo's a dead cert. to be on the plane. He might even be a first-choice starter. For reasons I can't think of, Cappello loves Theo.

He has been one of England's better players in the first half. He gets better support from the England boys than he does from our lot who are reluctant to spot his runs.

Whether he deserves his place or not (and I don't think he does), it can only be good for us.

ReputationRep:
    At this point, for various reasons, I can't see Walcott starting in South Africa by any means, but I do think he'll end up on the plane.

There is quite a swell of Gooners who find him overrated, a pace merchant, and furiously frustrating. I would tend to agree in many senses at this moment, but qualify that on the basis that he still hasn't hit the golden mark of 24 (not by a long shot) and has had a number of nasty, niggly injuries to interrupt his progress. Gooners and England supporters need to be patient methinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    None of the England team have been good. Stop looking for a scapegoat to hide Englands deficiencies.
    I haven't started looking yet so I'm going to have trouble stopping.

Just asking a simple question as I couldn't honestly remember him playing well for a while. My question has been answered by several people getting ultra-defence, so thank you.

ReputationRep:
    The more minutes he gets the better he'll play for us and England. It's amusing that some journalists seem to have suggested his recent good form got him in the team, he's been average to poor and the only reason he's in is because Capello seems to love him as you suggest Syn

ReputationRep:
    My question has been answered by several people getting ultra-defence, so thank you.
    Funny, I've seen several people effectively share the concern, simply not as eager to throw him away as a mess.

Anyway, if you're looking for it, then it's hardly a base of any type of serious debate is it?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started looking yet so I'm going to have trouble stopping.

Just asking a simple question as I couldn't honestly remember him playing well for a while. My question has been answered by several people getting ultra-defence, so thank you.
    You're confusing your definitions of 'ultra-defensive' and 'honest' there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    At this point, for various reasons, I can't see Walcott starting in South Africa by any means, but I do think he'll end up on the plane.

There is quite a swell of Gooners who find him overrated, a pace merchant, and furiously frustrating. I would tend to agree in many senses at this moment, but qualify that on the basis that he still hasn't hit the golden mark of 24 (not by a long shot) and has had a number of nasty, niggly injuries to interrupt his progress. Gooners and England supporters need to be patient methinks.
    I agree, I see him sneaking on the plane but unless things change he won't be a starter unless others get injured. I don't see how it can really be argued that he's one-trick-pony: he is. That's not really a problem however provided a team plays to his strengths. The England doesn't do that however. He's still a talent in a sence but, yeh, he is/was seriously overrated.

ReputationRep:
    Walcott does better for England, simply because he fits the system better... the very English approach of pumping it into the channels for him to chase, as we saw with his early near-assist.

Theo is not often enough utilised for pace in the Arsenal setup. He is instead being used in a way that almost seems to be designed to improve his close control etc... It's as if Wenger has forbidden him from simply bombing into the channels to play dirty English pig football.

In any case, he's on the plane and the most probable starter on the right.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say a burden because he's been dining out on that performance ever since.
    I would say burden. I don't think when Capello or Wenger are musing over to play on the right he sprints around their office in his england shirt with the Zagreb matchball under his arm. He played well once and now when he doesn't reach those heights he's criticised. Often when mentioned in the media Walcott is preceded or followed by 'scored a hattrick against Croatia.'

As Hubert pointed out he's had a string of injuries stopping him playing consistently and he's still very young, when this club has teenagers flourishing like Cesc or Ramsey or in the past Toure we're sometimes guilty of expecting all teens to do so.

I believe he's got the potential to become a great player.

ReputationRep:
    I still think Michael Owen was ruined by Houllier for exactly the reasons you describe Rob. Whenever a less than sophisticated manager sees a fast player he often sees long balls in the net quicker, and that's all.

I can think of some people disagreeing with me on that, but I have been watching him since he was 14. He was *******ised by a brutal route one system which looked at his pace alone and ignored the quite precocious aggression he had to begin with.

Had he been at United when he was 18 we'd be looking at a healthy, very different player today imo.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.