Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    Well it's not what role they'd play I guess but the spot they'd take in a team.

Park Ji Sung is the best in the world at his role of a defensive winger but that doesn't necessarily mean he is world class (he's in the tier below, whatever that is, for me).
    I'd say Eboue is just as effective as Park as a defensive winger, and they're both reasonably reliable players too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I'd say Eboue is just as effective as Park as a defensive winger, and they're both reasonably reliable players too.
    Come off it. Eboue isn't anything like a clutch big game player like Park is for us. He's a player that was treated as a joke by Arsenal fans who now overexaggerate everything he does due to feeling some form of guilt. He's never going to be a key player in games like Park is for us in Big 4 and European games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    Park isn't in the tier below World Class. LOL.
    For me, there's world class and then there's the rest. Park is a very good, effective player, moreso than a certain Cole I can think of, wrt being effective.

Oh, and the LOLs do nothing to enhance your posts, drop it now. Please.

ReputationRep:
    You know who is being tragically missed out from your lists? Eboue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    For me, there's world class and then there's the rest. Park is a very good, effective player, moreso than a certain Cole I can think of, wrt being effective.
    Park generally has no end product.

Keep selling those shirts though! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Keep selling those shirts though!
    Perhaps but his role in the team isn't to score goals. He certainly has a huge attacking threat in a 4-3-3 due to his fantastic off-the-ball movement though. His involvement in both of "those" counter-attacking goals and the one he scored himself against Arsenal is strong evidence of that.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps but his role in the team isn't to score goals.
    Having an end product isn't all about scoring goals.

Anyway, i'm off. Cya.

ReputationRep:

Keep selling those shirts though! :rolleyes:
    A bit ironic posting that in the Arsenal thread, tbpfh. It must grate with you and your ilk that Park has won more than any Chelsea player, ever.

He's one of the richest players in the world, also one of the most generous, what with building football academies in his homeland. The guy is a legend, who just happens to come into the category of limited but effective.

ReputationRep:
    Look, Rosicky isn't world-class. You ask any good football fan about whether Rosicky is world class or not and they'd give you an emphatic no (and reasons like "he's a different type of player" are just excuses).

If Rosicky is world-class then I'm in bed with Cameron Diaz. Same goes for Vermaelen.

And Park, as much as I love him, also isn't anywhere near world class (though if we're judging players world-classness on one attribute of their game - like many people in here seem to be doing - then his movement is absolutely world class). He'd be a killer if he finished more of his chances - easily a 15 a season goal man. But it isn't going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Look, Rosicky isn't world-class. You ask any good football fan about whether Rosicky is world class or not and they'd give you an emphatic no (and reasons like "he's a different type of player" are just excuses).

If Rosicky is world-class then I'm in bed with Cameron Diaz. Same goes for Vermaelen.

And Park, as much as I love him, also isn't anywhere near world class (though if we're judging players world-classness on one attribute of their game - like many people in here seem to be doing - then his movement is absolutely world class). He'd be a killer if he finished more of his chances - easily a 15 a season goal man. But it isn't going to happen.
    Yeh I agree entirely.

With Park however I'd say he's a great niche player. He's the best in the world at what he does. Now that doesn't necessarily make him world class, as I wouldn't consider him for a World XI but he can be a huge asset for the side he plays in.

ReputationRep:
    In bed with Vermaelen? Phwoar.

ReputationRep:
    Cesc is our only word class player, Sagna isnt far off, Arshavin on form is world class, FACT

ReputationRep:
    Go to bed TMDaines. No one cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Go to bed TMDaines. No one cares.
    You don't need to suck up to Hubert and Robbie as they aren't here now.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to suck up to Hubert and Robbie as they aren't here now.
    sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Cesc is our only word class player, Sagna isnt far off, Arshavin on form is world class, FACT
    Agreed. In fact I'd say that Sagna is world class. The only RBs I can think of who are considered to be better or on par with Sagna are Maicon, Alves, Bosingwa and Sergio Ramos. And I'd contest one of those. That easily puts him in the world class bracket.

However you could argue that many mediocre players "on form" are world class; as such I'd say that consistency in a time range is a necessary condition for being world class. So I'd probably contest your opinion on Arshavin, by definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Agreed. In fact I'd say that Sagna is world class. The only RBs I can think of who are considered to be better or on par with Sagna are Maicon, Alves, Bosingwa and Sergio Ramos. And I'd contest one of those. That easily puts him in the world class bracket
    Exactly how many world-class rightbacks can you fit into a side? Even if you picked a 30 man 'world-class' squad (about as many players as you'd need to complete a domestic season) there isn't room for 5 rightbacks.

Sagna was awesome two seasons ago, possibly world-class. Last year he was probably 4th best rightback in the Premiership... That's definitely not world-class. Of the three better than him last season - Arbeloa left for Spain, Johnson's been injured a bunch as has Bosingwa, so there really has been no competition for it. Defaulted best EPL rightback of 09/10 does not make you world-class, especially on the back of a really average season and doing nothing that overly marks him out this season.

Re other posters - Rosicky? My God. As for not Gerrard? My God. You can't have it both ways with Gerrard. You can't make out he's carried a team on it's back for the best part of a decade, to European titles, domestic cups and the occasional title challenge and then say he isn't world class. Gerrard is one of two English players who would get in any team in the world, along with Rooney. That, is world-class. He's had a pretty awful season by his standards, in the same way Fabregas, Rooney have had exceptional ones compared to his.

Defining world-class is hard. Exceptional Liverpool players would be Torres, Reina, Gerrard and Mascherano. Would your world-class team have those 4 players in it? No, for starters - Mascherano's position would probably be redundant, but there really are none better in the world at his role. Equally, a world-class team probably wouldn't have Torres on his own up front, which is where he is definitely world class. Would Gerrard be afforded a free role between the lines in a world-class team - probably not, yet you would struggle to find a player proven to be better suited to having a team built around him than Gerrard.

Rosicky? Marvellously capable and intelligent player who probably could have been world-class in another man's body. Suffers from too many injuries and never had the chance to consistently prove his ability. Such is life. You have to take into account every facet of player if you want to judge him against the world's best, an inability to have a consistent season will count against you, be it because of injuries, laziness, bog standard inconsistency, or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I would view it differently.

Arsenal - Rosicky, Fabregas
    Man Utd - Evra, Rooney, Vidic
    Chelsea - Terry, Drogba
    Liverpool - Torres

Gerrard is not world-class. He is an overly-media-hyped little cheating crybaby. And Ashley Cole isn't a patch on Patrice Evra.
    Rofl :rofl:

Rosicky's world class and not Gerrard!? Jog on mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Stevo)
    Exactly how many world-class rightbacks can you fit into a side? Even if you picked a 30 man 'world-class' squad (about as many players as you'd need to complete a domestic season) there isn't room for 5 rightbacks.
    Your definition of world class almost seems to be "being able to fit them into a World XI", one which I cannot understand, have never encountered and seems completely useless in discussion. I thought the (almost) universally accepted definition of world class was that the player is one of the best in the world in their position. What on earth is the point of defining world class as being able to fit them into one "super-side",? If that was indeed your definition and going with your 30 man squad analogy, then are you saying that there are only 2 world class goalkeepers in the world? Are you saying that there are only 2 world class centre forwards in the world? It seems completely redundant to define it like that and you're not talking about being world-class, you're talking about the being the actual best in the world. And that has it's own phrase, it's called "being the best". Being the best is not synonymous with world class; to me, it seems like being the best is a subset of "world class".

World class is, like it says in the word, a "class" or a "category". It doesn't consist of just one player in a certain position.

Basically, I'm not really disagreeing with you if you stuck to your definition of "world class", but I think the definition is poor.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the 'world class' players mentioned here really do beggar belief.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.