Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    4th best? That's complete *****. Sagna has been consistently excellent since joining Arsenal
    Sort of agree with you but still think a RB has to be able to attack well to be regarded as World Class IMO. Defensively as a RB Sagna is World Class but in these days, a full back needs to be a very able attacker. Cole is arguably better at attacking than defending and is probably the best LB in the world. Sagna was good at attacking and I have always rated him, but when he's going forward this year he has been wasteful with his crosses. Most LB and RB who people consider World Class are usually also World Class at attacking, they need a good balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Sort of agree with you but still think a RB has to be able to attack well to be regarded as World Class IMO. Defensively as a RB Sagna is World Class but in these days, a full back needs to be a very able attacker. Cole is arguably better at attacking than defending and is probably the best LB in the world. Sagna was good at attacking and I have always rated him, but when he's going forward this year he has been wasteful with his crosses. Most LB and RB who people consider World Class are usually also World Class at attacking, they need a good balance.
    I mentioned this recently on here, too much emphasis is put on the attacking qualities of fullbacks these days, it seems you can get away with being an average defender if you can bomb forward and put in a ball. It depends what you are looking for, i'd say Sagna is a world class right back but not a world class right wing back

ReputationRep:
    Sagna is a very good player, but what's the fuss with him being world class or not? He does a good job for Arsenal, but that's about it.

Attacking and overlapping full backs isn't a new or modern thing either, and if the Arsenal style of play needs their full backs to overlap reguarly, then Sagna isn't as effective, if they don't, then he's more then fine for the Arsenal job and can be considered the very best at what he does for Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    remember, "form is temporary, class is permanent"
    Never thought I'd ever I agree with you :wizard: but this is very very true :yes:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o67ftN-B6r8

Fancy Fox Soccer getting it spot on even if he's Scottish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    Overmars has already posted that about 5 times lol.
    lol, I suspected it had, i'm amazed I missed it but I put it down to all the rubbish that gets posted on here.

One more time can't hurt

ReputationRep:
    OT, but Villa are currently being raped by Reading. lol, they don't even look like they want to be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    OT, but Villa are currently being raped by Reading. lol, they don't even look like they want to be there.
    LOL I know :mmm:

Shane Long is just merking them

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o67ftN-B6r8

Fancy Fox Soccer getting it spot on even if he's Scottish
    By the way, a Bolton player broke his leg in an international friendly and next to nothing has been said in the press. So much for it never happening to other teams and the press being against you, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppaloth)
    By the way, a Bolton player broke his leg in an international friendly and next to nothing has been said in the press. So much for it never happening to other teams and the press being against you, eh?
    It's more akin to Van Persie being butchered in an international friendly that didn't involve England and the media ignoring it. It is another example of how serious injuries can be glossed over though. As an aside, have you got a link to the De Jong tackle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)

:sigh: We spoke too soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    :sigh: We spoke too soon.
    I know :facepalm:

I still want Reading to win :sigh:

EDIT: **** 3 - 2

ReputationRep:
    turn around by villa lol

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what MON drilled into them in the dressing room. :p: Must've burst a vein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    It's more akin to Van Persie being butchered in an international friendly that didn't involve England and the media ignoring it. It is another example of how serious injuries can be glossed over though. As an aside, have you got a link to the De Jong tackle?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayEt24YOF5I

Watch the tackle and you'll see how it differs from Van Persie's which was mainly because his studs got stuck in the turf iirc.

Here you go. Before you start I'm not defending him in any way, if the roles were reversed I'd be furious.

(Original post by JK_91)
    Its only a fracture and he'll be back in 6 weeks, same thing happened to Nasri pre-season and he was out for the first couple of months, didn't hear much about that in the press either.

I also fail to see how a lack of coverage of the incident shows that the press are suddenly all for us, our coverage was all focused on poor little Shawcross and how distressing it must be for him rather than sympathy for Arsenal/Rambo.
    So we're judging tackles on how long the player is out for? I'll remind you of that next time you're all asking for a player to be sent off when he hasn't injured anyone.

Your perception of reality is ******, the majority of the news reports were in support of Ramsey. Maybe you only pick up on the stuff you disagree with. All I'm saying is if it had been an Arsenal player suffering an injury from a dangerous challenge and the press hadn't reported it much you'd be frothing at the mouth. Bit of perspective is all I aim to bring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppaloth)
    What a stupid thing to say

1) I understand it's a stress fracture, Nasri, Clichy and Denilson have all incurred one this season
    2) Who said it never happened to other teams, if you watch Wenger's press conference he makes it clear he's protecting football here, not just Arsenal
    3) Do you understand press can be negative? Quite frankly given the reaction only the last week i'd be far happier if there had been no press about it, because a huge proportion of it has been ridiculous like your post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)

MON has never won a Villa game in March.

Jesus christ.

As for that guy on youtube, he is right... but why aren't more people on our screens talking like that. Sympathisers.

Us against the World, Arsenal. I hope Wenger has informed his players that this is war.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thing to say

1) I understand it's a stress fracture, Nasri, Clichy and Denilson have all incurred one this season
    2) Who said it never happened to other teams, if you watch Wenger's press conference he makes it clear he's protecting football here, not just Arsenal
    3) Do you understand press can be negative? Quite frankly given the reaction only the last week i'd be far happier if there had been no press about it, because a huge proportion of it has been ridiculous like your post
    1) There have been awful challenges people have got up and played on from, there have been non-exsistant challenges where people have been out for 12 months from (see Jagielka). How bad an injury actually is has nothing to do with the argument in my opinion.
    2) Sorry I get you mixed up with Overmars? I think. One of you was saying the main reason you get these challenges is because you don't kick back. And if Wenger is protecting football how come no other managers (to my knowledge) have come out and agreed with him?
    3) Fair enough. I got bored of the whole saga pretty quickly so I might not have followed the news as in depth as some of you have.

ReputationRep:
    Why have Arsenal turned into a bunch of babies, did you see the outburst from some players after the completely clean challenge on Walcott yesterday, how stupid did you guys look?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    I said nothing about the tackle, I'm talking about the injury so talking about the length of time the players will be out is more than appropriate.

If it had been our player and they hadn't reported it wouldn't be too bothered - I'd find out anyway and the player would be getting support from those who matter. I would be frothing at the mouth if they continued to perpetuate this idea that dangerous challenging is perfectly acceptable.

The initial stories on Ramsey either straight up reported the injury and didn't really discuss the effect it could have on him as a player, or showed more compassion for Shawcross than Ramsey himself. Not to mention the ones that just attacked Wenger again.
    "There have been awful challenges people have got up and played on from, there have been non-exsistant challenges where people have been out for 12 months from (see Jagielka). How bad an injury actually is has nothing to do with the argument in my opinion."
    Applies here, you can't argue that it was a bad injury and that injury should never have happened. The argument has to be about the tackle otherwise you have to include other factors (Surface, momentum, how prone the player is etc etc). Fact of the matter is the De Jong tackle is as bad as Shawcross'.

While I doubt you would be fine with no press coverage I'll just have to accept you would be I can't really argue what you would or wouldn't do.

As I said in the other posts, I'm probably not best informed to talk about this incident ("then why did you" etc etc). Its very dull and repetitive so I didn't follow the story after the Sunday really.

To be honest though, I think Wenger brings most of the attacks on himself/defending the tackles from his interviews. Like it or not, if he says something the press will react and over the years he has gravitated towards a negative public figure so the press will tend to disagree. You have to take the press at face value, they say what the public want to hear. If Mancini was to come out and moan about something, chances are the majority of the press would come out and argue the opposite. Wenger needs to learn to play the game imo, unless he plays it on a level I can't comprehend (Very likely he is an intelligent man)..

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.