Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    A bit late, but:

Essien is not world-class. Just because the english media have a fetish for dirty rough DMs, doesn't mean he is worldclass. Overrated I would say. As for worldclass, I would say:

Arsenal: Arshavin, Fabregas, Rosicky and RVP (I've been saying Rosicky was worldclass from when he was at Dortmund)

United: Evra, Ferdinand and Rooney

Chelsea: Cech, Cashley, Terry, Drogba

City: Given, Robinho.

:teehee:
    I didn't want to get in to the 'world class' debate, but come on! All of the players in bold are quite clearly not world class and the lieks of RVP and Cech is argueable. Ferdinand was, but with his injuries probably won't be from now on.

And as for your comment about Essien, he is much more than a 'rough DM' that the press has an orgasm over but it is kind of a null argument with the list you have produced.

(Original post by geoff_yin)
    As long as Spurs/Chelsea don't win it, I don't mind who wins it.
    :ditto:

Though I'd like to see Villa win it - they've been a good side this season, and deserve some success imho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    right...Essien's not worldclass but Rosicky is :curious:
    Yes.

DMs get too much praise for what they do. If the DM doesn't offer much outside of cynical tackles/chasing players, then they really can't be considered worldclass. This is why the likes of Keane/Vieira were a cut above the rest at thier prime.

IMHO Rosicky is quite clearly worldclass, just because he hasn't really been part of a successful team, doesn't negate that. I remember when Dortmund signed him from Sparta Prague for a club record of €14.5 in 2001, he was pretty much touted as the next Nedved. Had he been in successful clubs, I'm pretty sure most people would class him as worldclass right now. Our best forward/winger.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

DMs get too much praise for what they do. If the DM doesn't offer much outside of cynical tackles/chasing players, then they really can't be considered worldclass. This is why the likes of Keane/Vieira were a cut above the rest at thier prime.

IMHO Rosicky is quite clearly worldclass, just because he hasn't really been part of a successful team, doesn't negate that. I remember when Dortmund signed him from Sparta Prague for a club record of €14.5 in 2001, he was pretty much touted as the next Nedved. Had he been in successful clubs, I'm pretty sure most people would class him as worldclass right now. Our best forward/winger.
    fs Essien isn't even a DM...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    fs Essien isn't even a DM...
    In that case, he certainly can't be classed as worldclass. Iniesta, Xavi and Cesc all **** on him for starters.

ReputationRep:
    Rosicky world class? How much playing time has he had since signing for Arsenal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Rosicky world class? How much playing time has he had since signing for Arsenal?

ReputationRep:
    Well, there's no point labeling a player world class if he spends more time on the treatment able because he's ******* useless. Perhaps I'll label Robben as a world class midfielder or something.

ReputationRep:
    He is a world-class winger :yep:

As for being useless, he's strung some excellent games together.

ReputationRep:
    That's partly because there are so few world class wingers, like proper wingers, not some poncy CM playing wide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    He is a world-class winger :yep:

As for being useless, he's strung some excellent games together.
    World class wingers off the top of my head are:
    Ronaldo
    Messi
    Ribery

So despite Robbens injury woes he probably is.

Rosicky definitely isn't world class though. Perhaps a poll is in order :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    Never thought I'd ever I agree with you :wizard: but this is very very true :yes:
    I was referring to myself

(being class).

ReputationRep:
    In that case, he certainly can't be classed as worldclass. Iniesta, Xavi and Cesc all **** on him for starters.
    Yeh and Rosicky really is king of the wing isn't he. Put it this way, the chances of Essien making a World XI team is a thousand times higher than Rosicky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Well, there's no point labeling a player world class if he spends more time on the treatment able because he's ******* useless. Perhaps I'll label Robben as a world class midfielder or something.
    It's a stupid term and one I really shouldn't have bothered using. It was supposed to be a fairly non-serious post but since everyone's crying over it let me explain:

For some people, to be considered a top player or 'world class' player or whatever you want to call it, you have to be in the top x amount of players in the world or the top x number of players in your position.

For me, it's not like that. It's about a level you reach. And I have this predetermined level from watching players over the years.

Rosicky is useless if he's injured -- you're right. Also, you can have all the talent in the world and still be useless if you don't work hard enough. So in that sense, my view of what is a 'top player' or 'world class player' is useless too. But every time Rosicky's on the pitch, you know you're getting a top performance from him. And, for those taking notice, he'll be one of our best 3 performers in every game. If we're widely regarded as a top 8 club in Europe (and we are comfortably ranked there on CL seed-rankings), even by others' definitions, being a top performer for us has to pull you quite close to that tag.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no. Deluded Arsenal fans lying to themselves once more by calling Rosicky world class :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, people are still crying?

:console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Oh no. Deluded Arsenal fans lying to themselves once more by calling Rosicky world class :facepalm2:
    Rosicky really isn't that far off from Cesc. It's a shame in England, players only really get recognition once they start scoring goals. A bit like Cesc and Rooney this season. Seems like poor punditry from the likes of Hansen/Shearer/Redknapp/Gullit etc has worn off on most fans.

ReputationRep:
    Some may call me a extreamly biased Arsenal fan, but I have to say that Essien is pretty much up there with the best. He is a powerful midfielder with a beast of a shot. He can't be compared to Xavi/Iniesta/Cesc because his game dosnt revolve around passing, he is a completely different player.

As for Rosicky he would be up there as well had he not be so injured. But I have always said he is an amazing player, and always wanted him on the field when he was on the bench. He has far more creativity and skill than people give him credit for, and everyone knows how accurate he can be with his shots.

ReputationRep:
    Rosicky has long been, even amongst Gooners who love him, arguably one of our most underrated players. I absolutely love him for what he provides. However, the issue of a player being world class, hmmm, that's always going to be contentious and frankly rather irrelevant. I feel no particular need to compare him to other players as long as we at Arsenal get what we need from him, and whenever he's been fit we seem to do more than fine in that regard.

Whether a player is world class or whatever is usually going to start off seemingly like a very intellectual discussion but invariably it ends up being a cover term for nothing more exotic than a **** sizing contest.

ReputationRep:
    It just never stops. I really hate it when threads are made, elsewhere, about this utter and objectionable rubbish.

Now people start ******** on my doorstep. Fml.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.