Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is this discussion about 'world class' still going on? rofl, ****ing priceless, love this ****. Just make sure you don't move this discussion into the Manchester United thread, ok lads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    is this discussion about 'world class' still going on? rofl, ****ing priceless, love this ****. Just make sure you don't move this discussion into the Manchester United thread, ok lads?
    I know it's crazy. Syn made one comment and 3 pages later or whatever, it's still raging on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by football365)
    "Cesc felt a tight hamstring, but it had not gone away," said Wenger.

"I am convinced he had put in his mind 'We have to score a goal and then go off', knowing that his hamstring was tight.

"We were 1-0 up and I thought we shouldn't take a gamble.

"He has a little chance for Tuesday, yes, although Sol Campbell will be available, but not William Gallas."

Speaking further about Fabregas, Wenger added: "It depends how big the gamble is - I am ready to take the gamble.

"But if there is more than a 50 per cent chance his hamstring goes, I will not take it."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...008839,00.html
    Surprising to hear Wenger is considering taking any risk at all...let alone maybe a 60/40 one. I know it's a massive game but it's only one game. I don't see the point in starting Cesc against Porto if he's not completely 100% fit. Nasri is fine to take his place. I'd leave Cesc on the bench, though.

And I reckon Gallas is fine. Wenger is just trying to stop the "Why is Gallas dropped?" media stories.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal with Cesc are big favourites. Arsenal without Cesc and it's an even match. That's why he's taking a gamble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis1991)
    Arsenal with Cesc are big favourites. Arsenal without Cesc and it's an even match. That's why he's taking a gamble
    No its not. Teams like Porto at the Emirates suit us nicely, irrespective of whether Cesc is playng. I think Cesc should be on the bench though, and only brought on in an emergency. Nasri/Rosicky/Diaby/Arshavin should be enough to break them down at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    And I reckon Gallas is fine. Wenger is just trying to stop the "Why is Gallas dropped?" media stories.
    There is no way Wenger would play Silvestre over Gallas

As for this Rosicky debate, he certainly isn't world class, he isn't even a certain starter for Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis1991)
    Arsenal with Cesc are big favourites. Arsenal without Cesc and it's an even match.
    The difference is not that big. Nasri, Rosicky and Arshavin should be able to cover for creativity and goal-threat. The bottom line is that, while we'd obviously want a fully-fit Cesc playing, Nasri---Song---Diaby is a strong enough midfield.

Cesc could always come on at HT if he's needed. That seems to be the safest option imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    There is no way Wenger would play Silvestre over Gallas
    :unsure:

Obviously.

But I reckon he's playing Sol over Gallas.

edit: Ahh, I see what you mean. You meant for the Burnley game. Burnley are cack away from home...wasn't much risk attached in playing Silvestre there. If Gallas plays in that, you can't not play him against Porto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    No its not. Teams like Porto at the Emirates suit us nicely, irrespective of whether Cesc is playng. I think Cesc should be on the bench though, and only brought on in an emergency. Nasri/Rosicky/Diaby/Arshavin should be enough to break them down at home.
    Even considering you're 2-1 down. The first goal will be key, concede it and you can't afford to let another in but still need to score 2. I think you'll win regardless of whether Cesc plays, but i'd say if he doesn't it's a very close match

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    I know it's crazy. Syn made one comment and 3 pages later or whatever, it's still raging on!
    raging is a word I'd use to describe the behaviour of my genitals when watching the film 'Chloe' this afternoon. Julianne Moore at it with Amanda Seyfried :sogood: Dude, so smoking hawt. Unreal. Anyway, I digress, back to the thread at hand, rofl.

ReputationRep:
    Found this group on faceboob. In principal I agree with it but there are holes that could be picked at. Not sure what I think of it:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/ANTI-P...?ref=nf&v=wall

ReputationRep:
    The fact we have the away goal in the bag eases the situation considerably. Some people looked at me rather funny when I said before the first leg that I'd rather lose 2-1 than draw 0-0. You don't get points in a two leg knockout. Draws are objectionable without goals in this context. Winning European competitions is more a matter of efficient disregard for pride than it is cavalier enthusiasm.

We could focus on going for the early goal, which is what I suspect Porto will suspect of us. That would make us more vulnerable to counters than usual and put Porto in an aggressive posture of their own to score early, which significantly changes the game. My guess however is we are capable now of more than they will give us credit for - and we will probably start rather slowly. People may even get a little upset if it's 0-0 at half time, but I assure you, that would be a good sign that tactically they are taking the initiative. Going for it too early in my opinion would give Porto far too much of it. We need to be calm and wear things down, ensuring we take control tactically and mentally, and do not give Porto means to suspect they themselves are in control. That's my suspicion, and my prediction is 2-0 to Arsenal, both in the second half.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    Found this group on faceboob. In principal I agree with it but there are holes that could be picked at. Not sure what I think of it:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/ANTI-P...?ref=nf&v=wall
    I can't stand groups like that. Some of us just don't have the time to go to games, and proper football fans usually play football themselves at the weekend instead of going to hurl abuse at a bunch of equally lazy so-and-sos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I can't stand groups like that. Some of us just don't have the time to go to games, and proper football fans usually play football themselves at the weekend instead of going to hurl abuse at a bunch of equally lazy so-and-sos.
    That's the bit that got me. I do agree with the whole not staying 90 minutes bit though. It ******* winds me up when I see people leaving early or when season ticket holders can't be bothered to turn up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    What's all this stuff with Gallas about? I've heard rumours linking him with a move but nothing about a fallout or suchlike - why do you think he's been dropped? Is just you think Wenger feels that Sol can do a better job?
    No fall-out....but Sol has been playing very well and maybe Wenger doesn't want to mess that up. So even if Gallas might be fit enough to play, Wenger's thinking, 'well there's no point messing up a partnership that seems to be working for a big game, so lets just wait until Sol screws up before leaving him out'. I'm all for it. Picking players on form is the right way to go.

Most of us picked up on it. One of the reasons we battled well against Stoke and got through that game was because Sol stepped up as a proper defensive leader. We might be exaggerating the psychological impact but I don't think you can just leave Sol out after he has played a game like that.

As a side note, I'd seriously consider playing Gallas at LB in our remaining big games. Maybe even Porto (although we could use Clichy's pace). Having Gallas, Vermaelen and Sol in the back four might help us concede less.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to break up the serious business, but does anyone else think Nasri looks like the policeman out of Shamless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    No fall-out....but Sol has been playing very well and maybe Wenger doesn't want to mess that up. So even if Gallas might be fit enough to play, Wenger's thinking, 'well there's no point messing up a partnership that seems to be working for a big game, so lets just wait until Sol screws up before leaving him out'. I'm all for it. Picking players on form is the right way to go.

Most of us picked up on it. One of the reasons we battled well against Stoke and got through that game was because Sol stepped up as a proper defensive leader. We might be exaggerating the psychological impact but I don't think you can just leave Sol out after he has played a game like that.

As a side note, I'd seriously consider playing Gallas at LB in our remaining big games. Maybe even Porto (although we could use Clichy's pace). Having Gallas, Vermaelen and Sol in the back four might help us concede less.
    I particularly agree with your last point, even though Clichy has improved in the last couple of games (still not enough to change my opinions of him). Only problem is, its been a very long time since Gallas has played LB. This is not really the time for experiments, maybe preseason they could experiment with that. I reckon Sol could last at least one more full season at the bare minimum IMO, he looks extremely fit and still has the passion. Look at Maldini/Costucurta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    The fact we have the away goal in the bag eases the situation considerably. Some people looked at me rather funny when I said before the first leg that I'd rather lose 2-1 than draw 0-0.
    They probably looked at you like that since no result in the second leg will ever lead to a 2-1 loss being better than a 0-0 draw. It's not about trying to score points or anything like that, it's just that mathematically, 0-0 is better than 1-2. Of course, a high scoring draw is better than a shutout and 1-2 is better than 0-1, but to say 1-2 is better than 0-0 is just... wrong.

Not being funny here, but are you suggesting that "proper football fans" are the ones who are too busy to go to games? Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    Or can't afford to go to all the games. I agree with you but watching some of the games at home and you see some seats empty while most sections are people who seem to be there to enjoy the architecture and those idiots that leave early no matter the situation...ooh what I'll give for those season tickets:sigh:

Certain sections of the crowd and definitely the away fans do us gooners proud.

(Original post by Jeppaloth)
    Sorry to break up the serious business, but does anyone else think Nasri looks like the policeman out of Shamless?

Never occurred to me. Don't really know which one your talking about, link or pic?

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't being played at LB one of the reasons Gallas left Chelsea?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.