Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Needless to say I completely disagree, and I find your attitude somewhat naive. I suspect you've missed part of the point but I have no energy teaching at this hour.

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to ignore me but the proof is in the pudding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    You're massively overcomplicating something that isn't complicated. There is absolutely no conceivable strategy you could possibly undertake in the second leg that wouldn't be in either a more positive position or a equally advantageous one for it building upon a 0-0 aggregate score. If there is, please tell me what it is because I'm not seeing it at all.

Away goals are only important in the event of an aggregate draw. Should a result after a 2-1 initial result in an aggregate draw then the away goal would come into place. However should that exactly same result occur after an 0-0, progression would still be assured. No initiative is lost, there is no ground to occupy in football, no strategic positioning of strength and resources, there is only goals. A better balance of goals mathematically is better ultimately.
    Pretty much. :unsure:

I think away goals are more useful for sides that actually have a tight defence and are likely to keep a clean sheet at home. For us, it's pretty much irrelevant. 1-0 to the Arsenal doesn't happen that often these days. I'm guessing we'll need to win by 2 on Tuesday...whereas, with a 0-0 draw, we'd be fine with an unconvincing 2-1 or 3-2.

ReputationRep:
    HP overcomplicating things? NEVER!

I do agree with his point, even if it could have been said in 4 sentences. Away goals are a decent psych advantage in those tight games that end 1-1 or 2-2 over.

ReputationRep:
    Preds for Tuesday's match then?

And is Cesc fit, what's all this hype I hear about him not playing on Tuesday?

ReputationRep:
    Gah. Kindergarten night again it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    Unnecessary.

(Original post by Stalin)
    Preds for Tuesday's match then?
    3-0, Arshavin fgs.

ReputationRep:
    Needless to say I completely disagree, and I find your attitude somewhat naive. I suspect you've missed part of the point but I have no energy teaching at this hour.
    All I ask is that you give one example in which a 2-1 loss is tactically, strategically or psychologically better. You've failed to address this point at any stage and have now instead resorted to ad hominem attacks that do nothing to support your position. Poor form.

ReputationRep:
    How can you ***** and moan when the statistics show you're talking complete ********?

ReputationRep:
    FFS. Four ******* pages since I last looked in here. ******* joke, tbpfh.

Someone provide me with a digest of the WUMmery that has gone before this post, please.

KTHXBAI!

ReputationRep:
    I just bought a one-way ticket to GEL. And back. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I just bought a one-way ticket to GEL. And back. :sexface:
    Is this a roundabout way of saying you bought a return ticket to GEL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Is this a roundabout way of saying you bought a return ticket to GEL?
    I should really have said it was just a WUM-way ticket.

ReputationRep:
    I do not understand all of this. Rich has already stated, in a way, that you guys might have to agree to disagree on this... and I agree.

To me, both results seem around evenly good for Arsenal and I, on instinct would choose 0-0, due to our general approach of outscoring teams rather than stopping them scoring.. and our ability to generally win games at home.

I think there is an awkward witch hunt mode that develops in this thread at times, and it is a bit disturbing. When it happens to me, or a fellow and genuine Gooner, I am not likely to stand for it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I do not understand all of this. Rich has already stated, in a way, that you guys might have to agree to disagree on this... and I agree.
    No problem, I would prefer that it was phrased more like that though rather than just being condescendingly dismissed and insinuating that I am somehow intellectually inferior for not grasping a point that is yet to make an appearance.

To me, both results seem around evenly good for Arsenal and I, on instinct would choose 0-0, due to our general approach of outscoring teams rather than stopping them scoring.. and our ability to generally win games at home.
    There isn't a massive difference between the results, but just sheer, cold logic tells you that 0-0 is better. This isn't something based on opinion, it's based on demonstrable facts.

I think there is an awkward witch hunt mode that develops in this thread at times, and it is a bit disturbing. When it happens to me, or a fellow and genuine Gooner, I am not likely to stand for it tbh.
    How is there a witch-hunt? I queried a statement I felt was erroneous, and a discussion ensued. Nothing about about what I have said has been personal nor directed at Poo as an individual. Are we not allowed to disagree unless it is across partisan lines?

ReputationRep:
    Sod mentality, 0-0 is much better than 1-2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I should really have said it was just a WUM-way ticket.
    Indeed. :yes:

So, has Chamakh signed yet? Or if not, why are Arsenal fans so confident of it?

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal will coast this match. Last I looked, Porto were third and their league is the 10th best in Europe. So 4-0 to The Arsenal!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so confident, but I do think we should go through. The score for us in the first leg is completely irrelevant. Whether we had won, lost or drawn we would never sit back in the 2nd leg at the Emirates and we'll be looking to attack, as we do every game. I don't know how Porto will set up, they could play defensively and try to stop us but I'm hoping they will go for the away goal and get caught out. Also if Cesc is a risk we should just leave him on the bench, the other players available are more than capable of beating Porto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    No problem, I would prefer that it was phrased more like that though rather than just being condescendingly dismissed and insinuating that I am somehow intellectually inferior for not grasping a point that is yet to make an appearance.

There isn't a massive difference between the results, but just sheer, cold logic tells you that 0-0 is better. This isn't something based on opinion, it's based on demonstrable facts.

How is there a witch-hunt? I queried a statement I felt was erroneous, and a discussion ensued. Nothing about about what I have said has been personal nor directed at Poo as an individual. Are we not allowed to disagree unless it is across partisan lines?
    I'm all for healthy debating and especially among Arsenal fans... but - and forgive me if I misread it - there seemed to be some veiled spite and hounding in the retorts I was noting. It just all seems a bit nasty sometimes, and I understand what you say about the phrasing.

For what it's worth I am fairly certain the mention of kindergarten reference was not directed at you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.