Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    The team has in no way surpassed my low expectations. I just had higher expectations for Chelsea/ Man U. We could win the league 10 points clear but it will not make up for the fact that we got beat up by Man U and Chelsea both home and away. I am prepared to state on here that Arsenal will not make the semi-finals of the CL, assuming the favourites get through, no way.
    I don't think you can just point to those 4 games and think they justify all your points. The United away match we pretty much dominated them, without Fabregas, and were very unlucky to lose and similarly against Chelsea away I thought we were quite unfortunate, we had chances but lacked the cutting edge that Van Persie would've provided, though any team without their main striker would suffer and this is highlighted by the fact that Drogba was the difference that day. The home performances were very disappointing though but I do think if we were to get either of them in the Champions League and had Song, Diaby and Cesc all fit plus Bendtner or Van Persie that we'd fare a lot better. Other than these games though I don't know how many negatives you can pull out of our performances, no team in the world is faultless. And United lost to Liverpool both home and away last season, while also losing and drawing to Arsenal yet I don't see you being so critical of them winning the title.

Also would I be right in guessing you never would've imagined us getting to the Champions League and FA Cup semis last season? We've significantly improved on last season so I see no reason why you'd be so surprised to see us in the semis, especially as we haven't even drawn our opposition yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    ----------Cesar---------
    Maicon-Lucio-Juan-Bastos(?)
    ------G. Silva----------
    ----------------Melo---
    Ramires-----------------
    ----------Kaka--Robinho
    -------Fabiano---------

From what I can remember. I can't think of another left back though as I've very rarely seen Alves played there.
    Dunga's first choice is Elano instead of Ramires also.

ReputationRep:
    It is ridiculous that Brazil won't even have Pato/Ronald for the bench.

Don't care what people say... All this rubbish about him being fat/past it/lazy is just that... utter rubbish. He is still one hell of a player, and almost every pass/chip he delivers looks dangerous. A real visionary, while Pato is a very good option for striker...

Fabiano is an absolute ******* joke. What an embarrassment. Dunga, you are a mess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    ----------Cesar---------
    Maicon-Lucio-Juan-Bastos(?)
    ------G. Silva----------
    ----------------Melo---
    Ramires-----------------
    ----------Kaka--Robinho
    -------Fabiano---------

From what I can remember. I can't think of another left back though as I've very rarely seen Alves played there.
    I'd have

Cesar

Maicon Lucio Alex Alves

Gilberto Melo

Ronaldinho Kaka Robinho

Pato/Fabiano

:coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    Due to popular demand I will share my thoughts on the Porto game.
    Where? :stupido3:

I expected a win and was pleasantly surprised to see that it ended 5-0.
    What a ******* miracle. You're actually happy? The lolpocalyse is upon us! :eek4:

The reason why it was such a huge margin was simple, Walcott and Denilson were not involved. I don't want to compare Nasri and Fabregas, but all I will say is that Nasri offers something slightly different and it is time we put the two together in the centre of the midfield. You then throw Diaby on the wing, Song holding the midfield and Arshavin on the other wing.
    How can you simplify something so much? Don't you understand the reason Cesc/Nasri have been doing so well is because they've had the muscle of Song & Diaby behind them? If you take Diaby out of the middle and stick 2 creative midfielders in there we'll go back to looking flimsy again. Cesc & Nasri play the exact same way but there is only one position. Fortunately Nasri can play on the wing as well (which is where he was playing when he scored his goal).

I still despise of Bendtner, he scores 2 open goals and a penalty and people are hailing him as the next best thing, he did attempt a good header though, and Walcott did show some technical ability when he attempted to curl a left footed shot into the top corner before it got deflected. I still would rather both of them off the pitch instead of on the pitch if we have a fully fit squad.
    Again with the over simplification. Whatever happened to Striker's instinct? For the first one he was at full stretch and had to beat a defender to the ball whilst the combination of Arshavin's trickery and his good positioning allowed him the tap in. He works hard which something that can't be said for a lot of our squad. Denilson is a squad player who only plays when there are injuries and for that level he is quite good. It goes without saying Walcott and Bendtner are bench players with a fully fit squad but again they're useful and offer something different from when we can't score namely outrageous pace and height.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/...lose-quarters/

Brazil's system is very good. I'm hugely impressed. Ronaldinho doesnt carry the ball like Kaka does and isn't as incisive as Robinho. Clearly doesnt deserve to start but I'd have him in the WC squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/...lose-quarters/

Brazil's system is very good. I'm hugely impressed. Ronaldinho doesnt carry the ball like Kaka does and isn't as incisive as Robinho. Clearly doesnt deserve to start but I'd have him in the WC squad.
    Dunga sounds way too stubborn, even more than wenger! It could end up costing them the WC. He'd be mad not to even have dinho and pato in the squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    Dunga sounds way too stubborn, even more than wenger! It could end up costing them the WC. He'd be mad not to even have dinho and pato in the squad.
    True. But not in the starting 11. Consider how bad Ronaldinho would be on the break. Brazil aren't set up to play possession football. They have two pivots and fast, incisive movement further ahead with two wingbacks who love to bomb forward at pace. They dont even have a symmetrical formation.

Pato is the same. He's relatively slow and not strong enough to hold the ball up.Consider also Ronaldinho's party lifestyle.

You could consider him setting up the team differently making the most of Pato's playing time with both Ronaldinho and Kaka. But he hasn't. And remember, like Real Madrid, the aim is to build a coherent TEAM not the best individuals. Brazil flopped in the last World Cup because they tried to mash together the biggest names and pray their individual talent pulls them through. It's not possible.

In fact Arsenal do this very well. Wenger createst teams with a coherent philosophy and is reluctant to spend big or buy the wrong type of player.

Given that Brazil dont have a leftback and Maicon is so good at getting forward, I think the stability of two pivots creates a very good team. I cant think how I would set my team up differently.
    Ronaldinho and Pato would very much be a Plan B and there is never a time Ronaldinho would start ahead of Kaka. Pato has been injured for much of the season so that's another reason not to select him. He hasnt played in many months now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Man Utd to qualify comfortably.

Lyon to knock Real Madrid out.
    Ca-Ching.

Lyon were @ 3.5 to qualify at HT :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ca-Ching.

Lyon were @ 3.5 to qualify at HT :confused:
    Yeah I had a strong feeling that it might happen as well. Madrid have been distinctly average this year in a very weak spanish league. Lyon are very underrated. We'd do well against them purely on the basis they're french :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    This relates to Arsenal in no way, shape or form, but I'll post it anyway:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    This relates to Arsenal in no way, shape or form, but I'll post it anyway:

2.0 for the dive

ReputationRep:
    I never knew Michel Bastos played left back for Brazil.

In any case, great website Phonics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    x
    I see your strange korean man and raise you comedy dutch defending.

__

It's strange that some pundits complain about Brazil and how there isn't as much 'joga bonito' as previous sides but robinho's goal against the irish last week was brilliant.

I think they do need Ronaldhinho in the squad just because if Robinho or Kaka were to get injured they lack any replacement with the same creative quality.

ReputationRep:
    Check out my sexy warning points. I wear them with pride. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Cesc pretty much ruled out. Sagna and Sol are doubtful. Song is obviously suspended.

-------------Almunia---------------

Eboue--Silvestre--Vermaelen--Clichy

----Nasri----Diaby---Denilson------

Rosicky-----Bendtner-------Arshavin

That Song suspension might well cost us points. I really don't fancy us to win this. Just a complete lack of leadership on the pitch. There's nobody there you can count on to dig you out of a mess. Unless Arshavin turns up, we'll struggle here.

ReputationRep:
    Cesc pretty much ruled out. Sagna and Sol are doubtful. Song is obviously suspended.

That Song suspension might well cost us points. I really don't fancy us to win this. Just a complete lack of leadership on the pitch. There's nobody there you can count on to dig you out of a mess. Unless Arshavin turns up, we'll struggle here.
    tbh I doubt Sagna would have played anyway. Eboue is on fire at the moment :rolleyes: He does say sagna and sol are only "doubts" and not "big doubts" which suggests to me they might play. He says sol had a bit of cramp at the end which is hardly serious. I think it's just that his recovery time is a bit longer than everyone else. The rest of the team I agree with with Nasri and Rosicky swapping round during the course of the game. Walcott might have a shout though as his style might suit against hull. I think we'll nick this one. Confidence will be high and since the chelsea game Hull have really struggled. If we want to win the league these games shouldn't even be an issue IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Form goes out the window, MM. This is Hull's biggest game of the season. They'll be fired up for this as if it's a cup final. After all the Cesc non-spitting incident, there's some real bad blood between the two clubs...even more so than with us and Stoke. They absolutely hate us and they'll be out to kick us all day long. Cesc can cope with that. Cesc always has people kicking him but he has learned to deal with it this season and that's why he has been brilliant. Boateng will be out to take Nasri out of the game, and I haven't seen anything which suggests Nasri and Denilson would be able to deal with such physical challenges. Diaby can but he's just one man surrounded by midgets. This is why it was important for Song to be alongside him for this.

And if Sol and Sagna don't make it -- which is entirely likely considering our club seem incredibly reluctant to dish out bad news -- we look like a very unbalanced side. I would've started Eboue regardless...but in midfield where he can keep attacking like he has been. And all this with Silvestre at the back...just seems quite improbable that we'll get a win. I disagree that this shouldn't be a difficult game -- this was always going to be a tough game. Man Utd and Chelsea also want to win the league and have slipped up against teams like Burnley and Wigan, respectively.

We'll do very well to win here, IMO. Hope the lads are up for the challenge.

ReputationRep:

I'm pretty sure Tommy V can lead from the back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I'm pretty sure Tommy V can lead from the back.
    Aye. But that's it.

Hull will definitely have a few more 'warriors' than us. We'll need to earn the time and space to play our football and to do that, we'll have to quick and strong into challenges.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.