Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Apart from the fact that he hasn't been the best player in the Premier League this season....

I cant think of many better. This is when you count overall play, not just goals right? (and even with that, he is still better than Nando, my friend.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    Chelsea lost:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

The Fifa world player of the year has apparently become a race between Messi and Rooney according to the media and Rooney will probably win the PFA player of the year award. I know these two players are great but surely Cesc should be at least competing:confused:

He's defo been the player of this season in the EPL by a margin but his name is not even being mentioned.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Ac...,12306,00.html

Am I missing something?
    By a margin? You're having a laugh, and there's more to English football than the EPL. Rooney did play a part in Utd winning the Carling Cup, be it a mickey mouse trophey or not.....

And why you've linked to that index is beyond me, tbh. It's speculation saying Roo is favourite, but Cesc and Drogba will be in the running too.

As for the FIFA award, it'll most likely go to a player on the WC winning side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richiboi)
    I cant think of many better. This is when you count overall play, not just goals right? (and even with that, he is still better than Nando, my friend.)
    Well a certain Wayne Rooney comes to mind...? Don't know where Torres has popped up from.

And the highlighted part makes no sense...why would I compare Torres and Fabregas when they play in completely different positions and how did you come to the conlcusion that Fabregas is better than Nando...I'd love to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Well a certain Wayne Rooney comes to mind...? Don't know where Torres has popped up from.

And the highlighted part makes no sense...why would I compare Torres and Fabregas when they play in completely different positions and how did you come to the conlcusion that Fabregas is better than Nando...I'd love to know?
    i was merely refering to goals this season, in my comparison with Torres. My defence of Fabregas against Rooney is purely on that it would be interesting to see how many assists he has made this season, challenges won etc.

ReputationRep:
    It's between Rooney and Messi. Whoever wins the CL (United/Barca) (that's not saying Arsenal can#t win it). It's also a WC year, so that will be taken into consideration. I seriously don't know who is gonna win it, but possibilites are:

Messi
    Rooney
    Ronaldo
    Cesc
    Xavi
    Torres
    Villa

I can't see anyone else winning it. But it's obvious the winner will be determined on who wins La Liga/PL/CL/WC.

ReputationRep:
    i was merely refering to goals this season, in my comparison with Torres. My defence of Fabregas against Rooney is purely on that it would be interesting to see how many assists he has made this season, challenges won etc.
    Since when does a striker have to win challenges? [I'm presuming you mean tackles]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Since when does a striker have to win challenges? [I'm presuming you mean tackles]

being a good player isnt just limited to being a striker, is the point i am trying to make. when it comes to challenging for the Player of the Year award in the EPL, i imagine the other aspects of Fabregas game will help him when it comes to the decision.

ReputationRep:
    Striker has absolutely no defensive duties then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toby_ling)
    Striker has absolutely no defensive duties then?
    Precisely.

being a good player isnt just limited to being a striker, is the point i am trying to make. when it comes to challenging for the Player of the Year award in the EPL, i imagine the other aspects of Fabregas game will help him when it comes to the decision.
    I don't think anyone that is sane would say that strikers are the only good players. It's not a point you needed to make, tbh. Football is game of emotions, and I believe that what will sway it for x over y will be based on a tug at heartstrings moment...... stats are cold and soulless, emotion is what makes football the game it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    It's between Rooney and Messi. Whoever wins the CL (United/Barca) (that's not saying Arsenal can#t win it). It's also a WC year, so that will be taken into consideration. I seriously don't know who is gonna win it, but possibilites are:

Messi
    Rooney
    Ronaldo
    Cesc
    Xavi
    Torres
    Villa

I can't see anyone else winning it. But it's obvious the winner will be determined on who wins La Liga/PL/CL/WC.
    You would put Torres and Villa up over Higuain? this is meant to be an annual award right? Higgy has had a blinder of a season, or so i hear. Hat trick against Valladolid on Sunday, too. Diego Milito and Antonio Di Natale have also had great seasons, and if they carry that into the world cup...i would love to see form achieving accolades.

ReputationRep:
    I really hate discussing such things at such an early stage, because it inevitably leads to arguments, which are useless baseless on both sides.

But if we're talking about winning it, I can only realistically see Messi winning it.

For anyone else to have a shot at winning it, their club must come top of the league and their country will have to pretty much get to the finals in WC + outstanding performances. The only players I can see doing that are Rooney, Ronaldo, Fabregas, Xavi and Sneijder.

You have to remember that different countries put emphasis on different players. For instance, a Spanish guy from my uni has stated how different the emphasis is on Rooney and Ronaldo in England / Spain respectively, with the media focussing on different things. One thing for sure is that Messi is universally lauded.

ReputationRep:
    To my mind, until the CL and league are settled, then Cesc - to my mind - is right in the mix of top, top players for this year. He has come into his own, and is stepping up for us as Rooney is for United.

Those two and Messi have been fantastic this season... But Rooney is edging it at the moment, with Messi and Cesc a close second/third, should the pig decide to have a blip in form.

In other news, I would feel very confident with 4 of the draws out of the 7 we could possibly get. The other 3 would be 50-50 in my mind.

Exciting times. Draw tomorrow? I will follow at work if so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    To my mind, until the CL and league are settled, then Cesc - to my mind - is right in the mix of top, top players for this year. He has come into his own, and is stepping up for us as Rooney is for United.

Those two and Messi have been fantastic this season... But Rooney is edging it at the moment, with Messi and Cesc a close second/third, should the pig decide to have a blip in form.

In other news, I would feel very confident with 4 of the draws out of the 7 we could possibly get. The other 3 would be 50-50 in my mind.

Exciting times. Draw tomorrow? I will follow at work if so.
    Draw is Friday......

Tbh, for the PFA award it's a toss-up, and fans should be grateful that the EPL is lucky enough to have two players playing almost at peak performance, when prior to the season starting the league was said to have been weakened and wouldn't be as exciting due to the loss of Cristiano.

WPOTY will be decided at the WC. IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy with Stuttgart in the draw, they're gonna knock Barca out right?

ReputationRep:
    Eww.... i just had my tea.

I think Liverpool bought the wrong "prince" from Roma. my Liverpool supporting mate thinks he is the ****, but i think a lot secretly wish they'd bought De Rossi instead. Better bet IMO.
    There is not a chance we would of been able to get De Rossi, and any bid would if been £40m+ just to even have a chance. He is likely to be a Roma player for the rest of his career unless soemthign drastic happens.

Also considering Liverpool are so defensive buying a defensive midfielder would of been slightly ridiculous...

ReputationRep:
    The PFA Awards are bit of a joke anyway, but I'm 99% certain Rooney will win. It's always the most hyped player from that time (e.g. Ryan Giggs last year). And like Kev said, WPOTY will be very heavily influenced by the World Cup (e.g. Cannavaro, Ronaldo [played 16 games for Inter in 2002 and won it], Zidane) and also the Champions League.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the PFA award voted for at the end of January/early February as well?

Bit ridiculous that they vote that early, when surely a simple vote online could be done in a day at the most.

ReputationRep:
    As for the FIFA award, it'll most likely go to a player on the WC winning side.
    So Cesc then?

Seriously though I can't look beyond Messi. He has to be seen to be believed. Some players put in a good performance most games, he does it every single game and 2 out of 3 games will be world class unstoppable performances. You can put pretty much any defence in front of him and he will terrorise them. Rooney is undoubtedly up there but there are times when he's been shackled. You simply can't do that with Messi. He's scored 29 goals in 36 appearances and he plays on the wing. There's a lot more to his game than that though and you really have to watch him on a regular basis to see it. There's no bias from me either as I HATE Barca (don't mention the P word) yet appreciate their style.

As for the English awards it will surely go to the ogre like GEL. I can't see beyond him even if Arsenal win the league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    It was all part of my master plan tbh. :pierre:

I really do think Man United will trounce Liverpool at OT though...
    Here we go again, what have we learned from coming to quick conclusions? :p:

If Liverpool beat Lolle on Thursday, I think they might sneak a win at OT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voodoomagic)
    I'd be happy with Stuttgart in the draw, they're gonna knock Barca out right?
    With big Jens in goal, who knows what'll happen, he might even take a dump on the pitch this time

For anyone who missed it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.