Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I reckon Arsenal would beat Bayern... Only teams you should be afraid of are Inter, Barcelona and United.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    As much as I'd like to agree with you JK, there's a slight difference between Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, Man Utd and, cheating Porto.

Should we be paired up against on of the 4 teams I've mentioned, do we, realistically, have a chance of going through? Let's say we're drawn up against Man Utd, could you see us doing the impossible?
    We can beat anyone on our day (bar possibly an in form Barca). So lets just hope when we do play one of them, we're at our best. We beat Chelsea and United last season (comfortably), I don't see why we can't beat United again. I'd also put us as favourites against Bayern/Inter.

I want us to play Inter. We can beat them.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're all underestimating Bayern immensely, Ribery and Robben from 30 yards out are ferocious - I don't want my team playing anywhere near them.

However, if I had the choice, Bayern would, arguably, be the lesser of the 4 evils because Inter's defence is composed of 4 tanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm particularly obsessed with momentum. The same thing that would undoubtedly assist Barca, United, or Inter, to name but three, in chasing their own league titles would work for us too; getting closer to winning the title will ergo improve our chances imo, not retard them. Age is largely irrelevant. Experience is not always concurrent with age, and I personally believe it to be a convenient myth for us whenever we lose. It is much more tactical football, of course, and you need a heavier sharing of luck against frankly superior opposition. There are a huge number of variables.

My suspicion is we are in a deceptive position regarding the European Cup this year. We have generated some momentum, but obviously by definition it has to be kept up. Currently I'd say most of the candidates look slightly more stuttery in comparison. So that's a plus, but a lot can change before the semi finals, which is a pretty decent dated rule of thumb for when leagues start to get closed up.

Wenger has never been tactically the best coach in Champions League competition and that is something we must accept, so that's a negative.

Luck? Ah, the eternal question - and a very important one. We've generally had very rough luck in the CL, and though people say it has to change in reality prior luck cannot normally define its future counterpart other than broad statistical indicators and perhaps some psychological ones. This year is this year, so who knows.

Injuries? :facepalm2: I don't even want to talk about that one.

The other variables? I don't know. We'll see soon enough. Are we capable of winning it? Yes. Will we win it? To say so explicitly would be ignorant of so many of the things I have spoken about. What may be a more interesting question is are we in a better position to win it than on previous occasions? Now we can have a serious chat . . .

In answer to that, I'd say looking at the other teams and our own position, variables etc., we are genuinely somewhat deceptive. Club football this year has been much more competitive if you ask me; some could say the top teams have just been quiet, but I'd say the general level of the teams immediately below them have improved too, in concert with it being a World Cup year (personally I think that does have an effect). All in all, I'd suggest Arsenal have a better chance at this point than any point for four years. The draw is very, very open, more so than it may first appear.

I'd give us broad odds of about 5/1, which is Russian Roulette but not exactly to be sniffed at when I'd give exactly the same odds for at least three other sides and no one getting shorter.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're all underestimating Bayern immensely, Ribery and Robben from 30 yards out are ferocious - I don't want my team playing anywhere near them.

However, if I had the choice, Bayern would, arguably, be the lesser of the 4 evils because Inter's defence is composed of 4 tanks.
    I probably am. Who are their other midfielders that would play?

ReputationRep:
    What do we have to do beat United?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    I know there is, I just like pineapples.
    :sexface:

I can definitely see us doing Bayern, not saying that it wouldn't be hard but I don't think they pose the same level of threat as the others. Barca would be very, very tricky, we'd essentially be playing another version of our team, just better, I think we could win over 2 legs but it would require us having 2 games with the big names fit and everyone firing on all cylinders. Utd would of course be a very tough game and they seem to have us sussed as of late but when you look closer the results aren't what they seem and I think they are very much beatable. I'd be confident of beating Inter if it were just the players but its also Mourinho, we can play a better technical game and I'm sure the likes of Cesc would be able to play through their incredible defence where others have failed, a tie between us could well come down to who has luck on their side.

Personally, I'd say our chances against those you list are as follows:

Bayern>>>Inter>Utd>>Barca
    I agree that Barca > Utd > Inter > Bayern, but I'd struggle placing Arsenal above Bayern.

On our day we are a great team, but when Barca have their day, which seems like it's every week now, they annihilate any team the world has to offer, any combination of players/robots/mutants, even if they happen t have 20 men on the field.

Red Nose knows Arsene inside out, which is why they usually beat us everytime we play them, I can't really see us beating them either.

Inter, however, won't have Lucio in the first leg, which could be the deciding factor for their next opponent. Nonetheless, not many teams beat Chelsea away from home let alone at the Bridge.

Bayern are my darkhorse for the tournament, I know I've been rambling on about Bordeaux, but if they draw Man Utd or Barca next, their fairy tale will come to and end, even Blanc knows it. With Ribery fit and Robben on top form, Bayern aren't the team they were in the group stages. From the 4 teams, Bayern is the lesser of the 4 evils, but still no pushover.

Why couldn't the draw have been tonight ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Clone Rooney 10 times and clone VDS.

ReputationRep:
    Stalin, Kev, which one of you wants rep?

ReputationRep:
    Damn, almost got you the disco didn't I, admit it, you're probably 1 point shy, go on, you know you are...

ReputationRep:
    1) Need Cesc--Song--Diaby to start in midfield
    2) Eboue and Rosicky must play on the wings because they track back and defend well
    3) Arshavin upfront

It's frustrating because Arsene just doesn't get it. I think Park had just 8 games before Man Utd came down to the Emirates, and he went straight into the team -- because Fergie knows all you need to do against Arsenal is pack the midfield, beat them to every 50/50 and sure enough, these games keep getting wrapped up before half time.

We need to play the 'busiest' players we have and we'd be fine. We need luck with injuries to make sure that our first-choice 3 CMs are available though.

ReputationRep:
    Give it to Josef, your fellow Arse fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    I probably am. Who are their other midfielders that would play?
    Van Bommel, Hamit Altintop, Bastian Schweinsteiger.
    They are all decent footballers.

ReputationRep:
    I had some to spare anyway.

I agree Overs, but Arshavin upfront - not sure about that one.

ReputationRep:
    For the reasons I've outlined above, I think theoretically we could take anyone. It depends on so many things. On the face of it though, for the sake of discussion, I'd be worried about Bordeaux, Bayern, and Inter in particular. In that order.

Bordeaux are like a classier version of Stoke and their sets would kill us if we wanted to be kids again for the night. Bayern and Inter over two legs would again play very robustly.

United? Grow the **** up and stop worrying. I could be saying that to the team too, mind . . .

ReputationRep:
    Arshavin up front? Why not Bendy?

ReputationRep:
    The difference between Utd and Arsenal is tactical discipline, nothing else. And that comes from the manager, or should do, anyway.

Personally, for Utd, I'd take Inter, Lyon or CSKA. In that order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    The difference between Utd and Arsenal is tactical discipline, nothing else. And that comes from the manager, or should do, anyway.

Personally, for Utd, I'd take Inter, Lyon or CSKA. In that order.
    Inter over CSKA?

How many Smithwicks have you had tonight?

ReputationRep:
    CSKA is a really ****** trip at the business end of the season Mr Chairman. The timing of it is awful for an English side.

ReputationRep:
    Inter over CSKA?

How many Smithwicks have you had tonight?
    Inter lack Lucio for the first leg. If you beat them in the first leg and make them chase the game, it's over.

None. Lówenstein for me tonight.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.