Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think our defence should mess up Messi (NPI :P. No one ever seems to cover his left foot, forcing him to go to the right. I hope Fabby won't have mercy on these jiggas

ReputationRep:
    I saw Barcelona held by a very well-organised but somewhat lesser Almeria side a few weeks back.

This is the dream draw for the neutral fan, and a game that can so easily swing either way. Barca won't take us for granted and they'll know we can cause a major problem at Camp Nou even if we lose the first leg at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    6th/7th April
    I'm gonna try and get a ticket in that case I think, orgasmic :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephirona)
    x
    :naughty:

Please take down that image, it's making me want to vomit! :puke:

ReputationRep:
    As cheesy as it sounds, just as you want a young lad full of potential, but facing major difficulties, to fight against the tide and finally break into success, I sort of want Arsenal to do well. I'm usually neutral in stages like this and just watch games for the footballing spectacle, but it would be nice to see Arsenal overcome the by far the hardest route to the final and come out on top.

Provided you play characteristic of Arsenal and don't degenerate into using an ultra-conservative approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    :naughty:

Please take down that image, it's making me want to vomit! :puke:
    I'll take it down when we plunder through Barca!:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephirona)
    I think our defence should mess up Messi (NPI :P. No one ever seems to cover his left foot, forcing him to go to the right. I hope Fabby won't have mercy on these jiggas

lolz, the last time Arsenal played Barca, their best player switched sides soon after. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I reckon Bordeaux have a far better chance of putting United out than Bayern. The former is criminally underrated while the latter is criminally overrated. I guess to the average hack the fact Bordeaux don't have four European Cups to their name is enough; if any team could do a Liverpool it's them, trust me. Still, I'd regard either chance as minimal. UEFA may as well have given Ferguson some Madrid hotel keys with it.

I have to say, my usual pessimism has overcome me initially though I may change my mind later, I don't know. I'm finding it hard to feel cheerful. I certainly think if Inter play like they did at the Bridge they'll deal with either of us, frankly. Far too organised. If they revert back to the old Inter of flattering to deceive, then the winner of our tie goes to Madrid.

I'm happy with the away leg second though. For Arsenal, I actually think that usually counts in our favour.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to play Barca :sogood:
    It's got to be the best football match you could possibly have? In terms of actual football quality, I honestly can't wait to see how Fabregas plays, I hope he wants to show the whole world he wants to stay at Arsenal by playing a blinder

Hopefully Diaby and Song will do a good job cutting of the supply from Xavi and Iniesta to Messi, Arsene is clever and show hopefully know how to get our defence to slow him down, just dont let him run inside ffs :/

Ibrahimovic stands no chance against Vermaelen. end of.

You have to beat the best to be the best, and all that. I'd be foaming at the mouth at the prospect of Barca is the quarters of the European Cup. Watching Messi and his friends the other night was somewhat orgasmic.

Wonderful team - the best I've seen in years (if not ever).
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    I'm happy with the away leg second though. For Arsenal, I actually think that usually counts in our favour.
    The atmosphere still that awful?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have a guess when the tickets will become available?
    Because if i dont get one, i might start crying

ReputationRep:
    How does one get about going tickets to the quarters? Or if not them, the Semis? (Even if Arsenal arent playing.)

As a Northern Arsenal supporter (yeah, go figure...), i havent been to a live game EVER, and i really, really want to go and see them, and against Barca or CSKA (:P) they would be immense.

ReputationRep:
    Are Arsenal up to the tie, a chance for revenge. This should have been the final, an Arsenal win would have been perfect poetry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    The atmosphere still that awful?
    Lol. :p: European nights tend to be quite good actually, though I do think it's still an issue if things get hairy. It's a rather subjective assumption, admittedly, in that they have just, to me anyway, looked more comfortable with first legs at home. Arsenal will I think respond better knowing what they have to do in the Nou Camp - it's just the kind of historic place they need to go to with some concrete target, a la Milan two years ago.

I've had enough of saying this is our year so I'm frankly not expecting anything. I think we could beat them, of course, but I'm not sitting here thinking about Madrid, put it that way.

To be perfectly honest, though in any case it's presumptive, I wouldn't chide a United supporter for doing that.

ReputationRep:
    Gallas unlikely to play in the first leg at emirates against barca....... taken from arsenal website :/

Fab in the sqaud for west ham tomorrow tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    No offence dude, but that is nonsense.

That year we were total cack for the most part. It was a miraculous Champions League campaign - the side was so far removed from our Invincibles of two years earlier it was astonishing. The funny thing is I'd still put the 2006 side as the weakest Arsenal team since 2000. This one is significantly stronger.

As for Barca, I'd say this team is pretty similar to the 2006 one in overall quality and application. Last year they looked better.

As for the draw, frankly everything went wrong imo. United are as good as in Madrid. The only thing I can see for certain is that if somehow we manage to win our maiden European Cup this year no one could say we didn't deserve it. It's a frightening route. In the most likely terms it means beating Barca and Inter over two legs and then United in the final.

******* hell. Even for the Champions League, that's a big ask.

United, frankly, have had the luck of the devil and I'm disgusted and jealous. They've been to two finals in a row. They don't need a third handed to them on a ******* plate.
    Nah, the Arsenal of 2006 were very good. They played Madrid off the park, Juventus too if I recall. The team was more complete in all areas of the pitch. Today you are weaker at the back and lack up front. Arsenal were playing very well in that final but the red card changed everything.

Barca today are much stronger than 2006 imo. They are far more complete as a team. Messi is also playing better than Ronaldhino did. This Barca team is probably the strongest of the decade imo. The number of trophies they've won is no coincidence (everything last season).

And yeah, United always get luck :p: I hope they get crushed.

ReputationRep:
    We had Flamini at right back :jiggy:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QUWERTY)
    Lahm is a good player.

Isn't butt the goalkeeper who takes free kicks/penalties?
    I don't know if he still takes the penalties but he used to at his previous clubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    I don't know if he still takes the penalties but he used to at his previous clubs.
    Your location :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Predictions for the semi finals?

Lyon < Bordeaux
    Bayern Munich < Manchester United
    Arsenal - Barcelona(I honestly don't know)
    Inter Milan > CSKA Moscow

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.