Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Nah, the Arsenal of 2006 were very good. They played Madrid off the park, Juventus too if I recall. The team was more complete in all areas of the pitch. Today you are weaker at the back and lack up front. Arsenal were playing very well in that final but the red card changed everything.

Barca today are much stronger than 2006 imo. They are far more complete as a team. Messi is also playing better than Ronaldhino did. This Barca team is probably the strongest of the decade imo. The number of trophies they've won is no coincidence (everything last season).

And yeah, United always get luck :p: I hope they get crushed.
    You missed the fact that I made a sharp distinction between our Champions League and league campaigns . . . I'm telling you, they were a lot weaker as a side in general. It's not even up for discussion.

The Barca thing I'd disagree with you less on though. I don't think they're as good as last year let alone 2006. That's hardly to mark them down though - they're an awesome team. As such, whether any of these factors are enough to help us over two legs, I just don't know.

I'm frankly less than optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    Your location :coma:
    Well fourteen years had gone and so,
    To Portugal we had to go,
    To play the team that Italy adored.

Celtic went out to attack,
    They won the Big Cup and they brought it back,
    The first time it had been on British shores.

And they gave us James McGrory and Paul McStay,
    They gave us Johnstone, Tully, Murdoch, Auld and Hay,
    And most of the football greats,
    Have passed through Parkhead's gates,
    All to play football the Glasgow Celtic way.

ReputationRep:
    With all players being born and brought up within a 10/20 mile radius of parkhead!

Wrong thread :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Ticket details for away leg announced:

4600 tickets @ 70 quid a pop (that's standard price for a game like this)

Doing it by away credits preference as usual:

Away Scheme (away season ticket holders)- 11am 22nd March
    25+ credits- 11am 23rd march
    20+ credits- 3.15pm 23rd march
    15+ credits- 12.45pm 24th march
    10+ credits- 5.15pm 24th march

No mention of 5+ or general season ticket holders. Although the allocation is huge (normal allocations are 3000).

It's a long way to go for a lot of fans and the prices of flights are dear and of course it's midweek so that may put some fans off. I don't know the figures for exactly how many people have 10+ credits but it is a glamour tie so lots of people will want to travel. The trip will probably cost in excess of 400 quid. I reckon 200 to travel at the absolute cheapest, 75 for hotel, 70 for ticket, plus food etc. Depends how flush people are with money right now in the economical boom boom.

I will beg, borrow, steal or murder to get a ticket and think I may commit suicide if I can't get one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    You missed the fact that I made a sharp distinction between our Champions League and league campaigns . . . I'm telling you, they were a lot weaker as a side in general. It's not even up for discussion.

The Barca thing I'd disagree with you less on though. I don't think they're as good as last year let alone 2006. That's hardly to mark them down though - they're an awesome team. As such, whether any of these factors are enough to help us over two legs, I just don't know.

I'm frankly less than optimistic.
    Are you suggesting the Barca team of 2008/09 was worse than 2006? I have to disagree strongly with that. They may have lost Eto'o and Ronaldhino but gained Messi, a calm and experienced Henry, youngsters like Iniesta and Bojan, and maturity of players like Xavi. Last year's team would have played just about anyone off the park (bar Mourinho's Chelsea :teeth: ).

Anyway, I am pessimistic too but Arsenal can surprise. It's a very long shot. Campbell has got his work cut out at the back, I hope he doesn't crumble. Arshavin needs to step up too, he's had a relatively quiet season, and his explosiveness is needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    With all players being born and brought up within a 10/20 mile radius of parkhead!

Wrong thread :ninja:
    I was brought up in the same town as Bobby Lennox and his grandson was a year below me at school.

Anyway, the Arsenal fans will start thinking that we're Celtic fans or something

ReputationRep:
    I'm not feeling overly confident about this to be honest but it could've been worse, we could've played Man Utd.

If we want to win the Champions League, we'll need to prove that we're the best team in Europe and if that means beating Barcelona and Man Utd/Inter then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's as clear cut as you're suggesting SN, put it that way. It's a question I've thought a lot about and have yet to make a definitive judgement. They're terribly similar in terms of construction and ethos, and people should not underestimate just how good Ronaldinho was at his best. I'm frankly, currently, still more terrified of him at his best than Messi at his best - but more for style and tactical reasons than direct comparison, where I would give you the opposite value. I certainly don't think they're as good as they were last year. Definitely.

But tbh you don't need to be to defend the European Cup. Fact is they are good enough. And that's fine for us to deal with as it is! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    I'm not feeling overly confident about this to be honest but it could've been worse, we could've played Man Utd.

If we want to win the Champions League, we'll need to prove that we're the best team in Europe and if that means beating Barcelona and Man Utd/Inter then so be it.
    Here's where it gets depressing.

We have fielded the best side in Europe on several occasions in the past decade, more often than many have such an opportunity. Not once have we won the European Cup. Were Liverpool the bets side in Europe in 2005, or Porto the year before? Dude, that is basic stuff for you. I don't need to go over it.

In 2006 we were nowhere near the best side in Europe. Yet, it's the closest we came. This year? Bit in the middle. I think at the moment I'd rank us somewhere between second and fifth. Fact is that's good enough to win the European Cup, just as it's also not good enough.

All depends on luck of the draw, context, and a dozen other variables.

Which is why United, to all intents and purposes the most one dimensional side they have fielded in five years, are staring a third final in a row and the chance to win a fourth cup overall smack bang in the face.

ReputationRep:
    I've always mantained that the CL is not a measure of greatness. It's pot luck. When 'pool fans go on about 5Europian Trophies and history and jazz, it really gets on my ******* nerves. It takes nothing but luck to win it. Steady nerves and luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    Here's where it gets depressing.

We have fielded the best side in Europe on several occasions in the past decade, more often than many have such an opportunity. Not once have we won the European Cup. Were Liverpool the bets side in Europe in 2005, or Porto the year before? Dude, that is basic stuff for you. I don't need to go over it.

In 2006 we were nowhere near the best side in Europe. Yet, it's the closest we came. This year? Bit in the middle. I think at the moment I'd rank us somewhere between second and fifth. Fact is that's good enough to win the European Cup, just as it's also not good enough.

All depends on luck of the draw, context, and a dozen other variables.

Which is why United, to all intents and purposes the most one dimensional side they have fielded in five years, are staring a third final in a row and the chance to win a fourth cup overall smack bang in the face.
    Luck does play a part in it, drawing Lyon, CSKA and Bordeaux is, arguably, easier than drawing Barcelona, Bayern and Man Utd, but I believe team spirit and hunger play an even bigger part.

Liverpool for example may not have been the most skillful side in Europe, but Gerrard rallied the troops and they went on a rampage in the second half of the 2005 CL final, they sent Chelsea out just before and in my opinion, were the team with the most hunger in Europe, which is what drove them on to win it.

Porto are cheating *******s I'm not even going to waste my time, anyone can cheat their way through competitions and win, but had any English or Scottish club cheated their way, it'd have been unacceptable by the fans, whereas in Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey it's almost built into them, cheat to win mentality, dive when you.

Do we have that hunger that Liverpool had in 2005 or the hunger that Celtic had in 1967?

ReputationRep:
    The team seem far hungrier for success than they've ever been. Clawing back into the title race twice, is evidence enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    I've always mantained that the CL is not a measure of greatness. It's pot luck. When 'pool fans go on about 5Europian Trophies and history and jazz, it really gets on my ******* nerves. It takes nothing but luck to win it. Steady nerves and luck.
    When a team like Man Utd makes it to the final of the Champions League year in year out, luck isn't everything, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Right I've been talking to a few people at lunch and the reaction was far more different than I expected. Once the WUMming subsided I gauged the Barça fans were not happy with the draw. They said the teams they feared the most were the English teams because the hunger is greater. The only team they wanted less was Man Utd. They're scared of our pace and also that Theo could tear them a new ******** (:confused:). This game worries them and that is a very very good sign.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of a practical test of skill and ability, the European Cup, to agree, has never really been anything other than decided in great part on luck. Today it's probably worse as the the teams are much more level what with the advent of the Champions League. Not to disrespect Liverpool, but I would agree that winning them in the 70's and what not was not exactly difficult once the Ajax and Bayern teams had their time. Their 2005 win was much, much more impressive. And that was regarded as the luckiest win in almost thirty years by some!

However, and this is something I really do wish people would remember, Everest is apparently not as much a practical test of skill and ability for the climber as K2 is. Yet, Everest is Everest. It has nothing to do with demand, and everything to do with raw size and prestige. It's shallow, cynical stuff in that sense as far as the European Cup goes - and the fact remains we are BY FAR the biggest club on the continent not to win it. That must change.

ReputationRep:
    A quick note on the betting side of this.
    Before the draw Arsenal were 7-1 to go and win the whole thing, whereas after the draw it only went up to 9-1.
    So that shows how tight the bookies think the game will be

ReputationRep:
    If we keep up our form I see no reason why we can't knock them out, Stuttgart were awful the other day, worse than Porto so I wouldn't draw too much from that. It will just most likely come down to whether we can cope with Messi, he does cut in a lot and if he was to go at Campbell I don't think Campbell would be able to keep up. Song is going to have to be immense and Bendtner will not be afforded the same profligacy he has displayed on a few occassions, hopefully he can keep his run of goals going against West Ham and Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mini_lidi)
    A quick note on the betting side of this.
    Before the draw Arsenal were 7-1 to go and win the whole thing, whereas after the draw it only went up to 9-1.
    So that shows how tight the bookies think the game will be
    :erm: Odds are based on money placed......

Tough draw lads. I'll certainly be watching the match, it has potential........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    :erm: Odds are based on money placed......

Tough draw lads. I'll certainly be watching the match, it has potential........
    In all honesty, I'm not sure yours is any easier really.

Munich are still bitter over '99 as are we over '06, and as thing's stand, I'd say Barcelona is a better draw than Bayern would've been, for us anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    In all honesty, I'm not sure yours is any easier really.

Munich are still bitter over '99 as are we over '06, and as thing's stand, I'd say Barcelona is a better draw than Bayern would've been, for us anyway.
    No, they are not. I've been drinking with Bayern fans since then, in Munich, and they weren't bitter, and some said they liked the way we kept going to the bitter end...... They also went on to beat us on the way to glory in 2001.

I like how you qualify the statement based on what I presume is similar styles. Barca are favourites for the tournament, have been since the start and to say Bayern are the same, which you have basically, is nonsensical.

Ours is a tough draw, but yours is tougher. And I believe it'll come down to whichever of the back 6 plays best. [back 5 and DM]

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.