Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We could only beat what was put in front of us. You make it sound as if the League was so easy to win, if that were true how come no-one until recently could come close to our record?...you could argue the same thing with the Premier League a few years back were it was just about Arsenal and United, obviously it was a lot more competitive than it was back in the 70s and 80s, but it's not like back in the day Liverpool were the only decent team playing.

Also, we don't overrate the achievement, we are just proud of our history, being the most successful English club of all time, being the third most successful team ever in the Champions League, something which many other fans can't boast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    I've always mantained that the CL is not a measure of greatness. It's pot luck. When 'pool fans go on about 5Europian Trophies and history and jazz, it really gets on my ******* nerves. It takes nothing but luck to win it. Steady nerves and luck.
    What is the measure of greatness for European club sides/managers then?

Luck comes into everything, even winning the Premiership. More so in the CL because of the draw but you had a very kind draw last year. And more often than not the best sides do win these things or at least get to the final.

T.Adams was downplaying the achievements of FC Porto's winning side as if they were some sort of pub team.

If we want the teams with the best names on paper to win every single match then we should stop watching football.

ReputationRep:
    I've said nothing about the quality of the league itself - if I were to, I'd suggest it was by degrees a greater achievement to wins the titles you did than any European Cups, which were often gimmes. And yes, you could only beat what was in front of you. But it's not as if any other English side couldn't at the time tbf.

Though for the purists the idea of the Champions League is abhorrent, personally I think the old European Cup was a ******* joke in comparison.

You have every right to be proud, but don't look at your four European Cups as prime if you want to make accusations about us not winning one. Look at the one you got in Istanbul. And even then, critically, before throwing tallies about.

In my mind, in terms of quality and opposition, you have won one. United, two. No one else in this country exists.

ReputationRep:
    It's great to know that you only recognise one of our European cups.

I'm on my Ipod atm so can't really quote directly but you say something about how any other team could have won the League at the time but my point is, why the hell did no-one win it as consistently as us at the time?

You keep suggesting luck....which I don't understand at all because a team pretty much always needs luck to achieve the things we have. Arsenal's unbeaten run included a lot of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Tickets go on sale to silver members next thurs, gonna be the best £50 spent all year (I hope) :coma:

Its gonna be extreamly tough, and we NEED our key players in the game, as long as no one gets injured we have a chance; though I read there is only an 20% chance of Gallas being fit for it, and with messi on the field Sol could be terrorised silly

ReputationRep:
    Sol should purposely break Messi's legs and end the Barca threat once and for all, even if it does earn him a red card.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    That was more rhetorical Deshi. :rolleyes:

Where the hell did I say that!?!? Winning our league was much more ******* tricky then. I'm saying a league winner going into the following season's European Cup was automatically going to be in a very, very favourable position to claim the European crown.

You seem to think I'm just broadly insulting you, which would betray your inability to see the objective nature of the fact it was an inferior competition for four of your wins, to put it mildly. Why the **** would I say it in an insulting or subjective way when we haven't won a single one of the ******* in either format?

Luck. Yes. Needed throughout. Damn right. But I would contend this competition has been particularly cruel to us. Personally I think a lot of that actually has to do in some ways with the very fact we've not won it, sadly. I don't think you would have won in Istanbul or United in Spain for that matter had you been playing your first finals. History, feeling as though you belong there, etc.., are major factors in generating cup luck imo. So again, it's not a criticism directed at you. If anything it's an angry, bitter broadside at our own inability to claim just one of the *******s over the past decade when we've fielded some absolutely astonishing sides. We just can't seem to do it.

I'd be the first to say I was seething with jealousy and depression when you won in Turkey on that account. Don't like admitting it, but I'm big enough not to hide it with cheap barbs either. I'm pissed off that we can't win the ******* thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mini_lidi)
    Anyone know how to get onto the silver membership waiting list?
    Can only find the season ticket and club level waiting lists??
    No list I'm afraid. The process of being a silver member is a by invite only. Basically you have to be a red member and practically buy a ticket for every match for **** knows how many years and eventually they'll ask you to be a silver member. ST waiting list is separate and after X years they'll offer you a ST (gold membership) when there is enough space.

ReputationRep:
    Sagna RB and Eboue RW, Eboue will track back so they can hopefully double up on Messi. But the problem is he roams all around as he showed against Stuttgart so it may be impossible to stop him tactically.

A midfield trio of Cesc, Diaby and Song could possibly keep Iniesta and Xavi quiet, but I'm interested to see whether Guardiola goes for Yaya Toure or Busquets to partner them. One thing I'm wondering is will Xavi miss the first leg?

I'm confident that Arshavin and Eboue/Walcott could run Alves and Maxwell ragged but Pique is very strong in the middle, maybe too much for Bendtner.

I just can't predict it, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    No list I'm afraid. The process of being a silver member is a by invite only. Basically you have to be a red member and practically buy a ticket for every match for **** knows how many years and eventually they'll ask you to be a silver member. ST waiting list is separate and after X years they'll offer you a ST (gold membership) when there is enough space.
    Or you can be extreamly lucky like me and become a junior gunner when I was like 10 (with no waiting list) and progress through the ranks :hot:

Oh also can you imagine if Thierry scored the winning goal, I know I would just burst into tears

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    x
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    x
    I don't think anybody is doubting the 70s/80s success by liverpool was phenomenal after all nobody could really go near them and the English was probably the best around. I think Poo's point is that the Champions League is an entirely different kettle of fish to the old European Cup. More games and more teams. A lot of which are difficult to beat even if they're not the previous years champions. By that I think Poo means your 2005 win was the best. I mean if it had been in the old format in 2005 it could well of been us to win it and not you seeing as the team was comprised of the invincibles.

I believe the spuds are playing hull this weekend. Here's hoping jimmy can give some WUM to them. A dull nil nil will probably be the best result.

(Yes, I know I was fishing for an excuse to post the picture)

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

I didn't know you actually had to buy tickets for loads of matches before they offered you a silver!

I thought that you just stay a red member for ages, and when you reach the top of the waiting list, you can get a silver membership no matter how many tickets you've bought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GunnerMT)
    Or you can be extreamly lucky like me and become a junior gunner when I was like 10 (with no waiting list) and progress through the ranks :hot:

Oh also can you imagine if Thierry scored the winning goal, I know I would just burst into tears
    Yeah or that, as long as you're JG you'll automatically become a silver member.

(Original post by sandeep90)
    x
    Messi plays down the other wing which puts Clichy and Arshavin into play. That's why I think Arsh should play somewhere else because he doesn't cover Clichy and that could be VERY dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    There's a distinct lack of love for my masterpiece I posted a few days ago in the MS Paint thread tbh...

ReputationRep:
    Did you see what the person I originally qouted said? Obviously I'm going to feel offended if someone comes and says all of our European cups were down to pure luck.

I having probably misinterpreted once or twice and am sorry if I have but that's mainly because I find it hard to follow what you write, it's too eloquent for me

ReputationRep:
    Yeah or that, as long as you're JG you'll automatically become a silver member.

Messi plays down the other wing which puts Clichy and Arshavin into play. That's why I think Arsh should play somewhere else because he doesn't cover Clichy and that could be VERY dangerous.
    Traore and Clichy on the left side?

ReputationRep:
    It will be interesting to see whether Cesc celebrates if he scores at the Nou Camp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    :eek:

I didn't know you actually had to buy tickets for loads of matches before they offered you a silver!

I thought that you just stay a red member for ages, and when you reach the top of the waiting list, you can get a silver membership no matter how many tickets you've bought.

I'm not entirely sure but time plays a part but if you have 2 members who have been members for the same length of time they will offer it to the one who buys the most tickets. It makes sense for the club...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Traore and Clichy on the left side?
    Don't say things like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Did you see what the person I originally qouated said? Obviously I'm going to feel offended if someone comes and says all of our European cups were down to pure luck.

I having probably misinterpreted once or twice and am sorry if I have but that's mainly because I find it hard to follow what you write, it's too eloquent
    If I or anyone had said that, I'd expect you to be offended.

Bah. I've had negs with very insulting comments for how I write before, so I'll take that as a backhanded compliment. :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.