Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    No, I think it's complete ********, tbh. If ye beat Barca ye face the winners of Inter-v-CSKA. Bayern/Utd face the winners of Bordeaux-v-Lyon.
    That's rather surprising, you'd have thought that UEFA would be pro Barcelona, yet they're happy to see them have, arguably, the harder path to the final?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    That's rather surprising, you'd have thought that UEFA would be pro Barcelona, yet they give them, arguably, the harder path to the final?
    Platini, innit?

ReputationRep:
    The sooner Sepp Blatter dies the better tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    xxxx
    Puyol plays centre back for Barca......

ReputationRep:
    Puyol plays centre back for Barca......
    Yes... Theo and Arshavin do occassionally go central... and the centerbacks for Barca are the only ones to be reserved when they bomb forward.

My analysis is extremely sound.

ReputationRep:
    (●̮̮̃.•̃) Barca? oooh God how will we be out of the CL right before the Sp*rs derby?

ReputationRep:
    Yes... Theo and Arshavin do occassionally go central... and the centerbacks for Barca are the only ones to be reserved when they bomb forward.

My analysis is extremely sound.
    And Yaya. Use Theo's pace on the counter and build from there, but your wingers will have to help the full backs, esp with Alves/Messi on their right side.

ReputationRep:
    i really wanna go and see ANY Arsenal game....fan for 10 years, have 3/4 shirts....too young to go when i was younger and now cant get ****ing tickets! GRR!

ReputationRep:
    And Yaya. Use Theo's pace on the counter and build from there, but your wingers will have to help the full backs, esp with Alves/Messi on their right side.
    That's the thing, though... at home we should stick Arshavin out wide left and force Alves back. If he goes forward and we counter, more fool him.

When away, we need to plonk Nasri/Tomas out there, and have them hound him all game... He can be WUMmed, no doubt about it.

As for Messi, Clichy and Vermaelen should be able to neutralise him with Song/Diaby for assistance when needed.

Just need to hope Ibra doesn't return to worldbeater status... He's been clownishly poor of late and Henry shouldn't get past Sagna, not ever. Not the pacey, skilled player he was. Granted he's talented, but easily neutralised by pace really.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing, though... at home we should stick Arshavin out wide left and force Alves back. If he goes forward and we counter, more fool him.

When away, we need to plonk Nasri/Tomas out there, and have them hound him all game... He can be WUMmed, no doubt about it.

As for Messi, Clichy and Vermaelen should be able to neutralise him with Song/Diaby for assistance when needed.

Just need to hope Ibra doesn't return to worldbeater status... He's been clownishly poor of late and Henry shouldn't get past Sagna, not ever. Not the pacey, skilled player he was. Granted he's talented, but easily neutralised by pace really.
    So, am I to presume that you want a Diaby-Song-Cesc midfield? Would it not be worth playing Nasri, if only due to the fact that Barca play a similar game to ye and don't exactly have a physically strong midfield? Possibly only for the home leg, though.....

That should work on Messi but it depends on many factors....

Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather see Eboue at right back than Clichy, I think he might be able to contain Messi slightly better.

Or even Eboue instead of Arshavin, because both Messi and Alves will need to be contained.

Maybe not for the entire game, but our left wing will definitely need to be sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    So, am I to presume that you want a Diaby-Song-Cesc midfield? Would it not be worth playing Nasri, if only due to the fact that Barca play a similar game to ye and don't exactly have a physically strong midfield? Possibly only for the home leg, though.....

That should work on Messi but it depends on many factors....

Agreed.
    I think that is the reason we must capitalise on a proper chance to GEL the opposition up. Diaby and Song can neutralise their midfield, as long as Cesc can match up to Iniesta, who I think is the key to stopping Barcelona btw. He and Xavi need to be WUMmed out of the game by some real effort and GELish cluster-football.

ReputationRep:
    I think that is the reason we must capitalise on a proper chance to GEL the opposition up. Diaby and Song can neutralise their midfield, as long as Cesc can match up to Iniesta, who I think is the key to stopping Barcelona btw. He and Xavi need to be WUMmed out of the game by some real effort and GELish cluster-football.
    Fair enough..... I think Bendtner will be key for ye, along with Arshavin. Both will have to work hard and hold up the ball to allow your attack to build.

ReputationRep:
    Forget the Barca games; we're still in the PL chase. We're playing West Ham tomorrow and I bet Behrami has another excellent game against us. Should be a comfortable win though, that's if we stay focused!

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicting 2-0

Anyway, I'm liking the analysis of the CL game, I'll get back to you on that.

ReputationRep:
    Very excited about the draw. Should be two excellent games.

Gooners would be best advised to think about why they want their club to be in the European Cup in the first place. Playing these glamour ties is what it's all about.

As I've said before, we won't be favourites but I think we have a better chance than a lot think.

Wham tomorrow. London derby. Won't be easy, but as I've said, 3 points with no injuries would be great.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal attack: I think you've covered most stuff in terms of attack; wide players to stifle fullbacks and it's good on the counter. Arshavin would be extremely effective if he's willing to put in a shift. Remember though, Dani Alves marauding up the pitch isn't as dangerous to Barca as it first seems. Toure will provide some cover and the key thing is, it doesn't affect their overall structure / formation which is why it's so powerful. That's why the counter will be absolutely key for Arsenal; passing will need to be accurate, they'll need to move quickly and the wide midfielder will have to be alert if Alves is out of position. Another thing is that the centre backs won't necessarily be reserved; Pique is uncharacteristically "attacking" for a CB and is found surprisingly high up the pitch sometimes. You can probably guess as to why this happens; a lot of Spanish opposition have wanted to quash the fullback threat of Barca and deploy wide attackers (as should arsenal), leaving the CBs to be the only free, unmarked players on the pitch. If they're given enough time on the ball, they can come forward unantagonised and initiate attacks. That's why Bendtner will need to close down the CBs and stop Pique especially from having so much time on the ball. And agreed at running at the defenders.

Okay I'd have rambled on even more but I have to go, but briefly, I agree with a Fabregas, Song, Diaby midfield.

Arsenal defence: this will be the hardest. Their attack is unbelievably difficult to play against; against Sttutgart, they almost seemed to play a 4-6-0 formation with Messi and Henry playing surprisingly deep. That is going to very difficult to play against and a commentator said that the optimal solution will be to revert to man-marking, something which I'd have to agree with. In any case, Diaby and Song will be crucial here, they'll need to stop Messi's diagonal runs from deep and they'll need to hassle Iniesta. I may have more of a think regarding the Barcelona attack, because Guardiola uses very fluid attacking formations which I don't know how to classify, but I doubt they'll use Ibra as the "obvious" centre forward and utilise the more flexible combination of Messi Henry and Pedro. Especially in light of its recent success. Their prowess is very difficult to shackle, and combined with the excellent awareness and individual talent of most players, it's a tremendous attacking force. If you're able to contain it reasonable well, Arsenal will get nothing but respect from me.

ReputationRep:
    Both Puyol and Pique are one booking away from suspension, we could force them into missing the second leg if we play our cards right :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Both Puyol and Pique are one booking away from suspension, we could force them into missing the second leg if we play our cards right :holmes:
    I'm sure Eboue could do something about that.

ReputationRep:
    I think some Arsenal wum could be helpful. Resort to any means to get some kind of an advantage on the field of play.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.