Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)
    Oh **** off you nonce, Upsons hand was moving backwards for your penalty so you got it back. You all think the worlds out to get you, ******* hilarious. Half the tackles you did were disgusting, if it was the other way round you'd have had wenger out of his box with his spit down the ref as per usual.

Anyway!

You guys played well, we had some alright spells. Played well to stop you from getting punishing shots, but were just generally too weak on the ball. Draw or you by a goal would have been about right. Hope you guys win the league over the Chelski though.
    Two late tackles in the game from us. You've lost it.

Us by a goal? We played you off the park with a player wrongly off the field.

You were totally embarrassed, and your players were playing, nay, kicking shadows. Behrami, Dementi, Spector and all the other average crap should be embarrassed for their play today. Zola and Franco doubly so, for the cheating and then defending it. Zola has collapsed in my view. His belief you deserved anything from the game is astonishing, yours too.

At times we danced around you with the ball, and all was left was for you to try and fight us, because you simply don't have the talent, or our enviable belief and spirit of an Arsenal team.

So get bent, you mop of slime. You are below me.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal's Robin van Persie to return to practice this week

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we can have him for the CL semis and the last couple of weeks.

It would be a real lift... FINALLY playing our first 11. Jesus.

Hard to tell we are still so depleted with RVP, Gallas, Gibbs, Djourou missing. Astounding how well Campbell is doing.

Christ, I love Arsenal :arsenal:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Maybe we can have him for the CL semis and the last couple of weeks.

It would be a real lift... FINALLY playing our first 11. Jesus.

Hard to tell we are still so depleted with RVP, Gallas, Gibbs, Djourou missing. Astounding how well Campbell is doing.

Christ, I love Arsenal :arsenal:
    Most of his tackles go well with the saying "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg:

Happiest day of my life :love: :love: God do we need him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg: :zomg:

Happiest day of my life :love: :love: God do we need him.

:sogood: :sogood: :sogood:

Bayern Munich prepare £15 million bid for Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner - report

Lol not gonna happen

ReputationRep:
    £15m for Bendtner? :o:

Did anyone else think it was criminal that Diaby didn't get so much as a mention on Motd?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but I felt the same about Clichy and Eboue, who were both astonishing. I also think Denilson may have ended the game with around 100 passes, all completed. Astounding.

ReputationRep:
    Less of the personal insults please guys. I appreciate that these things are very much tit for tat, but as a moderator I don't have much choice other than to warn you if you resort to them.

ReputationRep:
    So does anyone think Liverpool stand a chance of even getting a point?

ReputationRep:
    Two late tackles in the game from us. You've lost it.
    You do realise that just because a tackle isn't late, it can still be dangerous right? Or is that still too elementary for you?

You are below me.
    Ohh i bet you'd love that wouldn't you :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    His belief you deserved anything from the game is astonishing, yours too.
    Hitting the woodwork twice, missing a penalty and that Diamante free kick? Plus your penalty also shouldn't have been allowed so if we take away both penalty decisions it's only 1-0 with our chances (Albeit you don't lose a man).

Performances mean **** all, there's a difference between being the better team and winning the game. If neither of those penaltys had ever happened then yeah we had a fantastic chance of getting a point yesterday. But i forgot, neither you or wenger complain when an unjustified penalty goes your way do you. Conspiracy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    So does anyone think Liverpool stand a chance of even getting a point?
    Yeah, I don't think L'pool have a chance in hell tbh. I hope I'm proved wrong, but Rooney on the high that he is on, can just carry his team to victory. I hope L'pool up their game x100.

Also, the RvP news is truly great news to wake up to. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Hitting the woodwork twice, missing a penalty and that Diamante free kick? Plus your penalty also shouldn't have been allowed so if we take away both penalty decisions it's only 1-0 with our chances (Albeit you don't lose a man).

Performances mean **** all, there's a difference between being the better team and winning the game. If neither of those penaltys had ever happened then yeah we had a fantastic chance of getting a point yesterday. But i forgot, neither you or wenger complain when an unjustified penalty goes your way do you. Conspiracy?
    That was a blatant penalty for Arsenal imo, Cesc chipped it through and would have had a clear shot at goal had it not hit the defender's hand, and stayed on it. Whether it was deliberate or not is irrelevant. I suppose the ref decided it wasn't, because there was no card - but it was a deserved penalty regardless.

In this occasion, Arsenal were the better team, got the result, and whatever bad luck West Ham may or may not have had was offset by Vermaelen's red, which was undeserved. The challenge he made was something and nothing, and did not prevent Franco scoring, he didn't even have the ball under control, for God's sake. The performance, overall, was what decided the game for Arsenal. They outplayed you with 10 men. If that isn't an important performance, I don't know what is.

Yeah, but I felt the same about Clichy and Eboue, who were both astonishing. I also think Denilson may have ended the game with around 100 passes, all completed. Astounding.
    Fair point.

Do you think Denilson would be effective in the Barca match? Just out of interest.

ReputationRep:
    :love:

Thank god :adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    £15m for Bendtner? :o:

Did anyone else think it was criminal that Diaby didn't get so much as a mention on Motd?
    First thing I mentioned yesterday, Diaby was outstanding and would've been MOTM if he played from the start. Call me crazy but he's the most crucial player we need against Barca imo.

ReputationRep:

How could you possibly argue that our penalty shouldn't have been allowed? His arm was not down by his side, so he was just asking for trouble.

...And Diamanti is spelled with an i. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    Just to wade into the whole Barca tactics thing...

We need to accept that the back 8 are nailed on, Wenger is a tactically stubborn manager and, barring injury, he won’t alter his personnel or system for this game. It’s probably the right decision since we aren’t a team that is well drilled in various tactical nuances and alternative systems. What we will need however is to be spot on with our individual tactical awareness and energy levels.

Defence

I know the romance of an extravaganza of footballing purity is appealing, and we generally play with the attitude of simply outscoring the opposition, but this is a European quarter final against the deserved reigning champions and favourites. A ‘European performance’ is called for, and that means building our approach from the back. Our run to the final in 06 was based on solid defensive performances, and that’s what we need here. The way that Inter approached the Chelsea game is a great example, home and away legs had subtly different mindsets and a result was almost manufactured. It was wonderfully done.

We know that our fullbacks are going to have to run their hearts out, but perhaps just as importantly, so will our midfield. Barcelona are far too good and too fluid a side to have our midfield defend one line and the defence another. We don’t need or even want a bus parking strategy, but what we do need is a cohesive display between midfield and defence. One of the biggest weaknesses of a 4-4-2 is the space between the inflexible lines; this is the area where players love to operate and none more so than Barca. Messi’s first goal against Stuttgart is a case in point, he was allowed to run parallel to the two lines, no-one was available to cut him out so he came into the centre area and pulled the trigger. You just cannot allow players of his quality to do that.

The 4-3-3 we operate gives the staggered positioning that can prevent this space being completely open without parking two banks outside the 18 yard line, specifically with Song linking defence and midfield. When Messi cuts inside, Clichy needs to cover the run to an extent, but it should be Song covering who stops him from being able to progress too far. Obviously, if Song is essentially marking space at this stage, Xavi/Iniesta etc are now open and they cannot be allowed space to dictate play or run at the centrebacks either. Cesc/Diaby need to be aware of this and prevent the obvious ball to the centre mids. It then has to be played back to Toure/Busquets, which prevents immediate danger, but then the midfield 3 have to reposition themselves to deal with the threat from the midfield 3 of Barcelona coming forward. Like I said, it will take massive amounts of tactical discipline and work rate to keep this up over 90 minutes, but that’s what will be required.

Attack

I think that what is needed from the front 3 differs home and away. At home is when we need to play our football, away is when we prevent Barcelona from doing the same. The first question really is the left hand slot. So much of Barcelona’s attacking prowess comes from the link up of Alves and Messi down that side and the important role that Alves plays in the Barcelona attacks cannot be ignored. Attacking fullbacks are not exclusive to Barca and they can be countered in the same way Inter set up against Chelsea in the second leg, but gives Alves plays so far forward and their system is specifically tailored for him to do so, you have to account for that. Does Arshavin really pose enough explosive threat to keep Alves pinned (and it is specifically Alves we need to worry about here, not just an attacking fullback)? Will he put in enough of a defensive shift when necessary? While Arshavin lives for these games and he simply must play in some role, I don’t think he does. We could risk it at home, but away it’s not a good idea at all.

At the other end of the scale is Eboue. Offensively all he will ever offer is cutting in on his right foot, but in tracking back correctly (there’s a difference between tracking back correctly and standing roughly near a player) he is the obvious choice. He has been fantastic lately, and has upped all areas of his game. He is the closest thing we have to Park in that defensive winger role, and it’s no co-incidence that Park gets wheeled out for all the big European games.

In the middle you have Rosicky and Nasri, who would put in more of a shift than Andrei, but offer more offensively than Eboue. I can’t help but feel though, that they could do a job at both but excel at neither. I can’t see either unduly worrying Alves in either respect and so would be bit of a pointless compromise.

Like I said, at home is where we will play football, so give our big game player his best position to work in. Away though, we need to stop Barcelona from operating how they want, and that needs Eboue ‘doing a job’.

Similarly on the right, do you go for the direct, pacy play of Walcott or the more possession based, cultured play of Nasri and Rosicky? Barcelona are going to attack, both home and away and so will be vulnerable to aggressive counter especially at the Grove. Their fans are wary of Walcott and they have reason to be. Give him 60 minutes in the first leg to run at them and keep their backline pinned, he’ll put in enough of a shift to keep Maxwell’s forays contained. May need to be swapped for Nasri later on, but he’s worth the risk initially at least.

In the second leg, the experience and class of Rosicky is probably the better bet, because retaining possession is so much more important, something which Walcott will never do. Of course, if Eboue is on the left in the second leg, Arshavin is also an option but in a game where controlling the flow is so important and our fullbacks will get so few opportunities to support the attack, is a target man in Bendtner necessary? Would the greater control and clinical touch of Arshavin be better to pin Pique and Puyol and make the most of the few opportunities that come our way? Away, the back 8 bar Fabregas will have to be organised first, creative second. In some ways, it’ll be a case of getting the ball to the front men and asking them to produce a bit of magic. Who is better equipped to do that; Bendtner or Arshavin?

At moment, ignoring any injuries or big changes in form, my calls would be:

Home

Arshavin – Bendtner – Walcott

Away

Eboue – Arshavin – Rosicky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    Even Zola, who seemed like a right petulant little ***** throughout the match, admitted that it was a pen.
    How dare you talk about gianfranco in that way? Wash your keyboard out!!!

ReputationRep:

In what was was our penalty not reasonable. I'm beginning to worry about you...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.