Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Rewarding in the sense that you will be rewarded with modship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Your university course suggests you would enjoy reading the dictionary
    Not after midnight. Forthwith please desist from using such words.

KTHXBAI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Ruptured anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments in my right knee (scar tissue remains) - that was 9 years ago so I can run but with some pain and heavy legs.
    Loose ligaments surrounding all ankles, resulting in turning over and 'flaking' of the bone (hasn't happened for a couple of years, fingers crossed!)
    Ruptured cartilage, with a blood clot acting as my cartilage :lolwut:
    Old fractures in my shins that were undiagnosed which sometimes give me shooting pains.
    And obviously because I haven't been doing much over the last couple of years my muscles are ridiculously tight but I've been doing stretches to fix this. (I think this is why I get shooting pains through both my knees sometimes as well)

Well thats the minimum/major ones, don't want to bore you :p:
    And yes my nickname in school was Mr Glass :sigh:
    I'm no doctor but if your ankles and knees are dodgy, I'd seriously reconsider running/football/rugby etc.

Yoga might be a better solution because if your ankle or worse, your knee, gives way whilst running, it could be permanent.

Don't take my word for it though, if you feel you can run, see your doctor and get his advice, but I'm pretty sure he'll tell you the same thing.

You could also try strengthing your ankles and knees at home before running, assuming that your doctor gives you the green light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Rewarding in the sense that you will be rewarded with modship?
    Rewarding in the sense that I'll receive a lot of WUM all over my face and not just any WUM, this is TSR mod WUM.

ReputationRep:
    GELatinous

ReputationRep:
    GELicious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    I'm no doctor but if your ankles and knees are dodgy, I'd seriously reconsider running/football/rugby etc.

Yoga might be a better solution because if your ankle or worse, your knee, gives way whilst running, it could be permanent.

Don't take my word for it though, if you feel you can run, see your doctor and get his advice, but I'm pretty sure he'll tell you the same thing.
    :yep: I got banned from football, rugby and competetive sprinting by my doctors, I still play football occasionally but it is frustrating having to hold back.
    When I did go to physio they didn't exactly seem against me running as long as I reported back if it got too painful, but I seem to get more pain being inactive than active.

As a mini sort of programme + running shoes, is there anything out there for injured souls?

ReputationRep:
    :yep: I got banned from football, rugby and competetive sprinting by my doctors, I still play football occasionally but it is frustrating having to hold back.
    When I did go to physio they didn't exactly seem against me running as long as I reported back if it got too painful, but I seem to get more pain being inactive than active.

As a mini sort of programme + running shoes, is there anything out there for injured souls?
    What was your 100m time again? I remember seeing it and and thinking holy **** but my memory regarding this issue stops there

ReputationRep:

That's ***** mate, there's nothing worse than being mentally ready to go but physically incapable.

I'd start by strengthening my ankles/knees and legs up beforehand, those machines in the gym aren't bad for that, the one's where you push weights and lift them with your legs. Then start by getting mentality ready for it, set yourself a programme and stick to it, followed by food, avoid fish and chips for the time being and eat those, you know, the healthy food, what's the word... oh fruit and veg.

Get a good pair of running shoes, and support for your ankles/knees, start off slowly, perhaps go for a good fast walk everyday to see if your ankles/knees can take it and then start running, but check with your doctor because I don't want you coming back to the Arsenal soc threatening to sue me because you're in a wheelchair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Presumably not.

And I will shamelessly SPAM this thread into an incoherent wreckage of humanity until it is.

I don't think the moderators understand how to keep me sweet :facepalm2:

or how petulant I can be

I run.
    I'll have a go at WAM now. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    What was your 100m time again? I remember seeing it and and thinking holy **** but my memory regarding this issue stops there
    It was around 11.5 seconds, now I would be suprised if I could do it in 15 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    I'll have a go at WAM now. :yy:
    You'd be better off inventing a glass hammer, tbh. I've given up wrt the modding, when you get called a potato picking prick, and the user is only alerted it kinda makes a nonsense of the whole ******* system. If I retorted with **** off there's no doubt in my mind that I'd be given two warning points....... FML. FFS. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    That's ***** mate, there's nothing worse than being mentally ready to go but physically incapable.

I'd start by strengthening my ankles/knees and legs up beforehand, those machines in the gym aren't bad for that, the one's where you push weights and lift them with your legs. Then start by getting mentality ready for it, set yourself a programme and stick to it, followed by food, avoid fish and chips for the time being and eat those, you know, the healthy food, what's the word... oh fruit and veg.

Get a good pair of running shoes, and support for your ankles/knees, start off slowly, perhaps go for a good fast walk everyday to see if your ankles/knees can take it and then start running, but check with your doctor because I don't want you coming back to the Arsenal soc threatening to sue me because you're in a wheelchair.
    :rofl: don't worry, I'm not an ambulance chaser, yet :ninja:
    I went through the wheechair thing after breaking a couple of vertebrae in my back so I won't be pushing myself to that extent! It is just annoying having so much energy and being used to doing some sort of sport 24/7, and now being virtually a sport outcast! So I've decided to do something over the summer just to get me moving about again.

I've been doing my stretching exercises for a couple of weeks (mainly focussing on hamstring stretches and back/core strengthening) so that when I can start doing some sort of running I should have at least a modicrum of stability in my joints and core. Although being hyperflexible doesn't help with that :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help though btw :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I used to think that warning points didn't mean anything and were just another form of showing your "reputation" :facepalm2:

That didn't end well, you learn the hard way I guess. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a better representation of the site's reputation rather than the users', tbpfh. :facepalm2:

I'll enjoy reading responses in TDR. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I would like to observe Overmars WAM effort... would be nice to see if they deal impartially with other members.

I have also given up in them, after a person who threatened to find me (from my picture) and stab me at a football match (Liverpool fan), I've just taken a whole fml approach to the world. The person received 2 warning points for what seemed a serious death threat. Useless.

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Pulis: 'Moaners like Wenger just want to shoot us down' :facepalm:

Gallas ready to stay at Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    I can run from one side of a football pitch to the other in about 10-11 seconds, and that was on frozen solid ground with a twisted ankle :awesome:

P.s Stalin is a ******* machine :gasp:

ReputationRep:
    Stoke are an absolute joke...

(it even rhymes)

ReputationRep:
    "You're Stoke, You're a ******* joke"

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.