Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    It's pissing me off how people seem to think we should long ball it, be more physical, etc., and/or just be grateful. Wtf? We have to be ourselves!
    We were ourselves today. We weren't physical and we didn't play long ball. We allowed the opposition time and space on the ball in our usual 'you play, we play' approach and we didn't touch the ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Va_Va_ Voom)
    Looking at the Barcelona's home record........Rubin Kazan beat Barcelona but they haven't lost at home in the league this season. Have only lost 3 games at home in the course of 2 years in the champions league at home.

Another interesting fact(or not)........ they have conceded most of their goals late on 76-90..maybe suggesting lack of concentration.
    See above post.

I couldn't give a flying **** about what other teams have done or haven't. Think like that and we're dead.

And again, we can progress with the same result (via et and pens, of course) or a superior goal draw, which personally I think is actually extremely possible. Not likely, but much more damn likely given the way these guys play than some may suggest.

What's this myth that we have to win at all costs? Is this our first season in ******* Europe or something?

Don't big it up beyond what it is.

ReputationRep:
    Other than the ibra lob, we still have to give it up for Almunia! It would have been like 3-0 before the first half if it weren't for him :yikes:

Was surprised about Walcott's play as well, Arsenal are definitely in the running for winning second leg. We have a better chance than Man U anyways :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vn2009)
    okay. Thought song was out of position for the goals....

For all the good almunia does, he always seems to make mistakes....its like he doesnt want us fans to like him :confused:
    TBF the lob was the only mistake he made all game and it's an easy mistake to make, with an out-of-position centre back chasing Ibra, I don't blame him for coming out, he slightly misjudged it and so what?
    Without him we would have lost and I'm sure of that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, pretty much. Any task starts and ends in your head.

It's pissing me off how people seem to think we should long ball it, be more physical, etc., and/or just be grateful. Wtf? We have to be ourselves!

Barca rely on opponents changing their game to suit them just as we do. If Liverpool came to us saying "right, we'll get it on the floor and play them," we'd probably lol our ******* heads off. That's not brave. That's ******* stupid. It's a retreat from what you are good at.

It is no coincidence that when we were getting battered it was because Barca were allowed to assert themselves as Barca, while Arsenal weren't sure who they were. It was a matter of confidence surety in oneself. Like getting to know a girl really - do you think she's going to be attracted if she thinks you're not comfortable with yourself? In this kind of tactical scenario it works pretty much the same way with the ball.

We are competing for attraction, and for the affection of the ball. If we go there ourselves next week I see no reason why can't go through.

Whoever is most themselves get the girl in Barcelona - and a night of bliss under warm Catalan skies. Where else more romantic than that?
    I have to say, you're a true Arsenal fan never shaken by a defeat and disappointments we need more people like you:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    We were ourselves today. We weren't physical and we didn't play long ball. We allowed the opposition time and space on the ball in our usual 'you play, we play' approach and we didn't touch the ball.
    That sentence was not meant in the accusatory sense, but the rhetorical. Though I would suggest that the latter part of your analysis is dangerously simplistic - in terms of aesthetic, yes, broadly. In terms of fundamental psychological approach we took a long, long time to see ourselves in the game. Our aggression in the last quarter was not simply a matter of Barca crumbling, which again is far too simplistic. It was a case of a dramatic increase in confidence of the collective self.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    WUMming aside, I like you, I really do, you have a pretty face, but please, please, don't make it easier for me. Why are you underestimating Bayern, a team who pulled a ******* fish out the hat yesterday night?

Utd lose Rooney, who'll replace him - Berbaflop, don't make me laugh.

Bayern gain Robben, who I rate as certainly one of the best right wingers in the world, their captain, Schweinsteiger, not to mention, Gomez should get a full game as opposed to the 20 minutes he got in Munich due to his injury. Ribéry was running rings round Neville and will more than likely do the same thing in a week's time.

In all honesty, I think you have the tougher tie and I'm not even WUMming.
    Im not underestimating Bayern. Infact when everyone on here was typically saying Utd have the easy run in and Arsenal are on the harder side of the draw I said BM might upset us.

Suggesting our task is harder than yours - all things considered - is a bit desperate. I don;t think either of us will have an easy match next week but I know where I would put my money.

ReputationRep:
    That sentence was not meant in the accusatory sense, but the rhetorical. Though I would suggest that the latter part of your analysis is dangerously simplistic - in terms of aesthetic, yes, broadly. In terms of fundamental psychological approach we took a long, long time to see ourselves in the game. Our aggression in the last quarter was not simply a matter of Barca crumbling, which again is far too simplistic. It was a case of a dramatic increase in confidence of the collective self.
    Represented in Walcott and Eboues ability to rape the Barca defence no doubt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    I have to say, you're a true Arsenal fan never shaken by a defeat or disappointment we need more people like you:p:
    Dude, you should see me most of the time. :p:

It's just in this circumstance I think the blithe, cavalier go for it mentality is precisely how we must approach the second leg. It can seem much more suicidal than resorting to the defensive, but I seem to remember something I think Dante said, or someone, to the effect of "When facing that mirror image can a man be forced to lie to himself and yet walk away comfortable of knowing the truth?"

In tactical terms that means we're facing something so similar to ourselves that being something we're not is precisely how we'll get punished, yet being brave enough to stare the mirror in the face and assert ourselves as who we are is precisely how we could punish them.

That's why it's such a fascinating tie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mini_lidi)
    Just watching the highlights
    OMG at barca for the first 20 mins they were kicking our arse all over the field and should of been 3-0 within 30 mins
    The first 20 mins in particular was actually painful to watch. We looked like headless chicks.

However, I'll say it again; average 30-35% of ball possession. And STILL we drew with Barca. Quite a feat.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Barca's fear of Walcott was actually justified.

ReputationRep:
    Argh, there's a funny meme going round, but I can't post it because it's on FB! Where's JK when you need him... :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry-AA)
    Represented in Walcott and Eboues ability to rape the Barca defence no doubt?
    Walcott's threat has been known as a major tactical point of contention ever since the draw was made, so I'm surprised people are reacting with shock, frankly.

Subs obviously have an impact, and this one in particular was highly aggressive. So I wouldn't disagree at all - yet one must put Walcott's introduction into a collective context. You can't just say "he came on and raped them while everyone else played the same." That most certainly did not happen. If you think that, you have a problem.

Arsenal generally take far too many touches when their confidence is low, and they become far too ponderous. People sometimes don't realise how much our game is dependent collectively on aggression and speed these days, always saying we're not like that anymore. We're not as direct with it, no, but it's still very integral to our overall movement. It underpins everything. When we're confident, our response is slick and we can be ourselves.

Walcott should be seen as a driving catalyst, not a one man wonder.

ReputationRep:
    Cesc Fabergas..Broken Leg
    NNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo
    SkySports news just ruined my dayy

ReputationRep:
    NNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo
    wtf? broken leg?

gallas is also out for the rest of the season, all these damn injuries

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I still cannot believe Arsenal managed to draw it, balls of steel minutes at the end tbh. However a slaughter at the Camp Nou will bring back my appettite :sexface:

Shame about Cesc, the dude has heart and I wish him the best.

Ohh and Pedro and Henry are clearly not starting material, we need a better option outwide. Iniesta would do but he's out I suspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)

What about our 4-4 with Chelsea?
    No. Chelsea 4 - 2 Barcelona was a pretty good entertaining match.

Well, well, Arsenal, credit for coming back. After reading the comments on the Twitter section on Google I thought you wanted to do a "Utd" and thought Chelsea were the only team in the most recent years able to deal with them. You're not out if yet and I think your chances of progressing are higher than what people seem to portray.

ReputationRep:
    If you are lying, you have the opportunity to retract that before I neg you.

If not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    wtf? broken leg?

gallas is also out for the rest of the season, all these damn injuries
    Yeah sky sources said they think its a broken leg..
    And a statement from Cesc he said its bad and its his Fibular

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.