Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Potentially Gallas, Arshavin and Clichy out. Song, Cesc out. Did I miss anyone?

Arsenal are screwed. Campbell will play at the back and I can't see him being mobile enough against the Barcelona attack.

Really sad to hear Cesc has probably broken his leg, so this means he will miss the World Cup too?
    I don't think Song is out.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    What, after the sub's been made? :lolwut: ******* hell. Four years ago he was a deliciously elegant beast. I used to think of him like Zorro. :p:

Do you think Pep thought Walcott was starting? Dude, I was shocked how unprepared they looked on that flank for his introduction at that point - he's been the talk of the town in Barca tactically so I'm a bit puzzled at just how easy it was for him tbh.
    Yep.

Pep is rubbish at one thing, making subs at the right time. He waits far to ******* long and makes the wrong ones usually. Like today, why bring of Messi and keep Pedro? Leo at his worst is more dangerous than little Pedro.

The Walcott thing must have been due to the lead, he probably thought we could contain Arsenal for the remainder, again the naiviety kicks in and this was an experience for him I feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    I'd pay good money to see Stoke play Barcelona. :yep:
    :rofl:

cfc :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    I don't think Song is out.....
    I thought he was suspended. I'm probably confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Potentially Gallas, Arshavin and Clichy out. Song, Cesc out. Did I miss anyone?

Arsenal are screwed. Campbell will play at the back and I can't see him being mobile enough against the Barcelona attack.
    Completely disagree. I have been saying for ages now that Sol should be preferred to Gallas. Sol isn't far off the player he was 4 years ago and he managed ok then. And, as I've said countless time, it's not important for a CB to have pace. It's about how well he can read the game and get into the right positions. Sol's the best we have at that. He doesn't have his legs but he orders Vermaelen, Sagna and Clichy around and it works -- we look a much more solid unit with Sol there.

Unfortunately he can only offer us one game a week, so I wouldn't play him against Wolves. Hopefully even Silvestre will manage for that game.

Really sad to hear Cesc has probably broken his leg, so this means he will miss the World Cup too?
    No idea how bad it is, it's probably silly to speculate before we get the X-ray results. Vermaelen had a 'suspected broken fibula' too and was back for the next game.

ReputationRep:
    Going for a 2-2 draw and penalties is stupid.

Going for a 3-3 draw is beyond outlandish.

Better off going for a 1-0 and park the bus job.

Given that Barca know they can out do you I would expect them to go all out for that first goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Is it written down in the bible - who's forcing us to win something this season?
    It is actually. The Scripture of WUM sayeth, in the book of EcclesiatiWUM, chapter twelve verses 4 and 5.

"Yea, thou shalt not in thy fifth season without silver and gold and precious jewels fail to present those gifts thereof as a Hullocaust unto the Lord thy WUM, lest thee be smited with dishonour in thy camp and roundabout."

Admittedly, there is a case for saying it isn't a must, depending on interpretation. Historically, it depends what is meant by "dishonour."

ReputationRep:
    What a come back!! I honestly feared a drumming during that 30 minutes blitz. Almunina really came good for a change. Walcott needs to start next match as does Nasri, Eboue and if possible Rosicky too (tho Arshy will prob play instead). I hope RVP can make the match. I still can't believe we came back, it's so mental.

We can get through, just need to attack them tbh. I think their pressing pretty good but as a defensive unit, they're average and with gabby-Mendieta-Milito on the pitch they'll be more than fragile. Eboue must start! we need his directness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)

Given that Barca know they can out do you I would expect them to go all out for that first goal.
    If you read my earlier post on that you'll see I said we should do precisely the opposite. Grow a brain.

I'm simply saying there are other ways we could potentially progress than a straight win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    From you guys, sure. That 30 mins blitz in the first half was some of the best football that has been played at the Emirates. But Arsenal didn't get anywhere near their best in attack -- partly because we hardly touched the ball, and secondly because that 30 mins blitz seemed to scare (as Wenger put it) us into not getting our triangles out and trying to play through you.

But that changed after the 60 min mark where Barca couldn't seem to keep the same intensity going and Arsenal finished the game strongly (as they usually do).

In terms of excitement -- the game did live up to it's billing, but on a footballing level, Arsenal will be very disappointed with themselves.
    Even I was disappointed by Arsenal, didn't expect such domination for parts of the game.

Usually by that mark the other team are tired themselves so the way we played could contain them. When Walcott came on it revitalised Arsenal and we couldn't keep up.

ReputationRep:

This is retarded. We're not chelsea, we clearly would get destroyed. Hello no gallas!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    :rofl:

cfc :mmm:
    Might head off to bed providing your location is truthful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    Might head off to bed providing your location is truthful...
    it was good but not that good :p:

ReputationRep:
    It is actually. The Scripture of WUM sayeth, in the book of EcclesiatiWUM, chapter twelve verses 4 and 5.

"Yea, thou shalt not in thy fifth season without silver and gold and precious jewels fail to present those gifts thereof as a Hullocaust unto the Lord thy WUM, lest thee be smited with dishonour in thy camp and roundabout."

Admittedly, there is a case for saying it isn't a must, depending on interpretation. Historically, it depends what is meant by "dishonour."

Thanks, HP Sauce, thanks.

You rusty old fetus covered in barbed wire, you

ReputationRep:

Park the bus. Go for a draw. These aren't things arsenal do under wenger. Fully expect us to go out to the nou camp and play for the win, however that goes..

With Cesc out hopefully it'll be the nasri show next leg, he's sneakily put together a really good run of form.

Haven't seen the highlights but feeling at the game was the decisions (free kicks + cards) were going against us all game..

Loved the fan reaction to Henry, he comes on gets his hero's welcome then goes straight in on goal and gets booed by the entire ground lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Thanks, HP Sauce, thanks.

You rusty old fetus covered in barbed wire, you
    Delicious. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    Even I was disappointed by Arsenal, didn't expect such domination for parts of the game.

Usually by that mark the other team are tired themselves so the way we played could contain them. When Walcott came on it revitalised Arsenal and we couldn't keep up.
    Agreed.

Btw, who is your central pairing likely to be in the return leg?

I'm assuming Yaya might drop back. Marquez? Milito?

ReputationRep:
    If you read my earlier post on that you'll see I said we should do precisely the opposite. Grow a brain.

I'm simply saying there are other ways we could potentially progress than a straight win.
    I don't care what you think.

Going to Barca and trying to outplay them with your own weaker version of the game shows massive overconfidence and tactical naievity on your part.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what you think.

Going to Barca and trying to outplay them with your own weaker version of the game shows massive overconfidence and tactical naievity on your part.
    Lol, this coming from TSR's very own mastermind.

Go and nonce somewhere else. And improve your spelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    Park the bus. Go for a draw. These aren't things arsenal do under wenger.
    Indeed, but sometimes you are forced to do things.

If you manage to go 1-0 I would be surprised if you exposed yourself by continually pushing forward.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.