Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    It's a scientific project I've been working on since January, it's the same lenght as a dissertation but maybe not the same type of work :p: When are dissertations handed in normally?
    lol ah right, no they're normally handed in right towards the end of the academic year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    I think in the second leg a lot will come down to Nasri's performance in the middle
    Exactly right.

People who think Cesc is a massive loss are severely underestimating what Nasri is like through the middle. It's not just the Porto game where he showed that he can be devastating in attack, the Roma game last year where he was brilliant defensively shows he can pretty much be a more mobile Cesc. He won't have Cesc's leadership however, so it's important someone like Sol also plays to organise the team.

Arshavin is no loss at all if it means Rosicky steps in. For all this talk about Arshavin being a big game player, I honestly think he just didn't fancy it yesterday.

Gallas has never been a warrior and has never been committed to the club (as his reluctance to sign a new contract would suggest) and at this stage of the season, in a game of this importance, Wenger really should've played Sol. Gallas is no loss -- the fella can **** right off. Vermaelen-Sol to see out the season (and Silvestre against Wolves if Sol can only play 1 game a week).

ReputationRep:
    I think some of you guys are underestimating how hard it is to go to the Nou Camp and get a result. If Manchester United were in the same position as you guys I wouldn't fancy us to go to the Nou Camp and get a result. I definitely wouldn't expect us to go there and win. If Sol plays against Barcelona there'll be murder. Your only chance is if Nasri and Walcott both play really well. Also, even though Arshavin hasn't been in the best form recently, he is one of your few big-game players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Exactly right.

Gallas has never been a warrior and has never been committed to the club (as his reluctance to sign a new contract would suggest) and at this stage of the season, in a game of this importance, Wenger really should've played Sol. Gallas is no loss -- the fella can **** right off. Vermaelen-Sol to see out the season (and Silvestre against Wolves if Sol can only play 1 game a week).
    Well what makes you think Sol wont walk out on us again?

ReputationRep:
    Not quite sure how it ended up 2-2 last night really, Barca really should've finished us off in the first half hour. Strangely Almunia was excellent in the first half, Denilson was good when he came on also - the players we expected to let us down stood up well. Almunia was admittedly in no mans land for the Ibra's first goal but he kept us in the tie. For me Vermaelen was partially at fault for both goals, left plenty of room behind himself for Ibra to exploit and he did. Cesc was largely off the pace, was clear why he was only 40% to start in the afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Va_Va_ Voom)
    Well what makes you think Sol wont walk out on us again?
    Well the bookies aren't even taking bets on it. That's how unlikely it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Well the bookies aren't even taking bets on it. That's how unlikely it is.
    Or it's a dead cert to happen :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    Your humour has my approval and that´s all that matters :sexface:
    Naturally. :sexface:

I should make more wheelchair clamps tbf.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather have Song at centre back than Sol......Feel much more assured(even though he's not been playing there for quite a long time)....Lets remember he started he's career at arsenal as a centre back. Sol might have the experience but I dont think he can deal with Barca's pace and he will easily tire out. We need young legs out there. Btw I have never seen Barca play like that under the reign of Pep Guardiola.

Facing a difficult second leg at the Nou Camp? I suggest Bendter takes a golf club to Clichy. Both score, 2-1 on the night, job done.

Momo Sissoko was a beast that night.

ReputationRep:
    I want to see a Sol-Verminator partnership at the back for the 2nd leg tbh. There was no communication between Vermaelen and Song leaving our defence vulnerable, plus Sol can provide that much leaded leadership with Cesc out. I'd like to see Sol as captain, but it will most likely be Almunia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Facing a difficult second leg at the Nou Camp? I suggest Bendter takes a golf club to Clichy. Both score, 2-1 on the night, job done.

Momo Sissoko was a beast that night.
    Roffle, we'll keep it in mind.

ReputationRep:
    when looking at how arsenal should play in the nou camp, it's obviously of critical importance to note the difference between the first and last thirty minutes. barca's initial work-rate meant that arsenal did not have a chance to start playing their game and after five minutes, it was clear, that as a team, arsenal were severely lacking confidence. no team, least of all arsenal, is used to being closed down just outside their area.

certainly, the fact that cesc was not fully fit and this combined with diaby's unusually poor performance mean that arsenal were not able to ping the ball forwards, from defence to attack. i found myself surprised to note how well (in relation to the rest of their initial performance) bendtner was holding the ball up. as soon as arsenal rely on holding the ball, they're done for. the introduction of eboue for arshavin made a significant difference; where i had previously been desperate for arshavin to drop deeper, eboue now managed to shore things up and yet still remained a powerful forward driving force. his combination too with walcott was excellent.

as far as i can recall, last night's game was the most nervous i have ever been for a football match. for long periods of the first half, i was reduced to a nervous wreck, fumbling my popcorn, with my teeth genuinely chattering. i was forced to make light of the situation. i felt as if i was watching arsenal play a league two team. cries of aragorn style 'take him out' and 'bring him down' were probably my most coherent for the first half. that's what barca reduced us to, and that's what we've got to guard against next tuesday. we have to start well, which isn't something we've done too well this season.

i am fully of the opinion that nasri is the key to us getting through. his close ball retention and distribution is exceptional; head down and eyes to the floor, he can run around in circles all day long before finally passing the ball safely away. when barca press us next week, i've got faith in nasri being able to play the ball up-field and critically, that was something we massively lacked yesterday. we could well have been demolished yesterday, and for almost the entire of the first half, i was certain the we would. but we were not. we showed that we can take it to barca, be aggressive in our attack and expose their defensive frailties. we can beat them. it's interesting to note that a 0-0 would have, on paper, been a better result and some would say that a goalless second half that was similar in pattern to that of the first half would have been favourable when compared to the two away goals we conceded. i disagree. in the second half, we showed the spirit. and that's what we need to win.

(also, can someone tell me what the spanish papers have been saying. i've taken great delight in running snippets about walcott through dodgy online translators but most of them come up with something like 'to the lawn, walcott took to with exceptional input')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voodoomagic)
    Not quite sure how it ended up 2-2 last night really, Barca really should've finished us off in the first half hour. Strangely Almunia was excellent in the first half, Denilson was good when he came on also - the players we expected to let us down stood up well. Almunia was admittedly in no mans land for the Ibra's first goal but he kept us in the tie. For me Vermaelen was partially at fault for both goals, left plenty of room behind himself for Ibra to exploit and he did. Cesc was largely off the pace, was clear why he was only 40% to start in the afternoon.
    Don't you think it was necessary for the Verminator to push up on Messi? Song should just have dealt with Ibra, but if Vermaelen had laid off Messi, he would have had the ball at his feet and running at Vermaelen with Ibra in front of him, which is not really a desirable circumstance.

Does anyone think we could pull off having Cesc and Nasri play in the middle together next season?:p:

ReputationRep:
    Odds of 7/1 on Arsenal if you fancy putting your money where your keyboard tapping finger is.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope Walcott doesn't start, he very rarely makes an impact from the start of a game and he's the only player we will have on the bench who can really change the game, Rosicky should replace Arshavin and Denilson to replace Fabregas, Nasri and Rosicky play well on the wings

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably rather have Nasri in the middle than out on the wing tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Almunia
    Sagna Sol Vermaelen Clichy
    Song
    Nasri Diaby
    Walcott Bendy Bus Rosicky

ReputationRep:
    Decent team selection, but I'm kinda leaning towards having Eboue at right back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Almunia
    Sagna Sol Vermaelen Clichy
    Song
    Nasri Diaby
    Walcott Bendy Bus Rosicky
    Is this for the game against Wolves or Barca?

For Wolves I'd rest a few players and go with:

Almunia

Eboue
    Campbell
    Vermaelen
    Traore

Denilson
    Eastmond
    Rosicky

Walcott
    Eduardo
    Vela

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.