Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm genuinely fearing Messi in the second leg, he'll most likely be much more involved.

ReputationRep:
    Any news on Iniesta ?

ReputationRep:
    So Gallas, Arshavin and Fabregas all confirmed out for the next game against Barcelona. All big players.

Two of them are out for the whole season, so that's a major blow to any title hopes.

ReputationRep:
    Tactically any talk of parking the bus is off the table. Absolutely no way. We'd get deservedly ******* murdered. It would be like me taking a theology exam - I'd blitz it, naturally. If I took a mathematics exam I'd be made to look a complete ****. It's not what I'm good at and I'm simply not set up that way. Waaaaaaaaay out of my comfort zone. Playing a second leg in Camp Nou is not the time to start getting all ******* existential.

I'm not even going to mention Cesc beyond yes, bad, but we do have Nasri and tbh I don't think it would likely have too much bearing now, if you get my drift. Again, lose Vermaelen and/or Campbell and that's FAR worse at this stage imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    So Gallas, Arshavin and Fabregas all confirmed out for the next game against Barcelona. All big players.

Two of them are out for the whole season, so that's a major blow to any title hopes.
    Not for title hopes.. Arshavin hasn't turned up on the pitch for months, we've coped fine without Gallas up until now (and he's only out for 3 weeks). Yeah missing Fabregas is a blow but we have the players to fill his boots, we don't rely on him like Man Utd rely on Rooney

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    Tactically any talk of parking the bus is off the table. Absolutely no way. We'd get deservedly ******* murdered. It would be like me taking a theology exam - I'd blitz it, naturally. If I took a mathematics exam I'd be made to look a complete ****. It's not what I'm good at and I'm simply not set up that way. Waaaaaaaaay out of my comfort zone. Playing a second leg in Camp Nou is not the time to start getting all ******* existential.

I'm not even going to mention Cesc beyond yes, bad, but we do have Nasri and tbh I don't think it would likely have too much bearing now, if you get my drift. Again, lose Vermaelen and/or Campbell and that's FAR worse at this stage imo.
    I agree. But tbh another injury to any starting player now would just **** us right up, we need to get through the Wolves game with a win and an injury free squad, which is a big ask imo...
    We'll see...

ReputationRep:
    Fabregas out for the season. Wonder how much Wenger is regretting playing him. Probably quite alot, I would imagine. Times like this where you could really be missing Ramsey, would have represented a real, stern/challenging opportunity for him to step up to the plate. No reason why he wouldn't have done, given his obvious talent.

Anyway, enough of me being nice.

How's the anus from last night? Still rather sore or did the lube prevent any lasting bruising and soreness?

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at the Chelsea-Barcelona semi-final first leg from last season and tbh, even though they parked the bus for the majority of the game they were still lucky to get away with a 0-0 draw. If we tried it, it would be a complete massacre.

We just have to play our own game and hope that Barcelona miss their chances as they did in the first half against us.

Also, we have to keep the ******* ball whenever we can! Barcelona are the best in Europe with the ball, but without it they're not that good. Although I do realise getting the ball from Barcelona is an arduous task itself.

ReputationRep:
    United don't rely on Rooney though. A lot of play goes toward him, yes, but that's a very different thing to simply relying on him - that would mean when you take him out the drop in quality is so great or the replacement so different you have no way to make use of it. As far as I can tell, all jokes aside, United do very, very well without him. Sure, you'll miss a player like that, but just because he's central to their play and so good isn't a means to tar United with the one man team brush. The former is an incidental and the latter you can hardly blame the lad for or United for that matter.

Actually, I'd say all the top three this year have been very communist. We've done very well without Fab, United at any point without Rooney, and Chelsea without Jose.

ReputationRep:
    To an extent, you made Barca look bloody splendid last night, much in the same way as we did in the CL final last year. They hurried and harrassed, chased down our players, we didn't do the same when they were in possession. Arsenal didn't go after Barca when they had the ball, didn't chase their players and the ball down. Barca did it magnificently in the first half, which contributed to you losing possession really easily. And on other occasions when there was no pressure applied from them, you ended up losing the ball rather stupidly. Arguably there wasn't enough hard work off the ball from Arsenal last night. If you're not going to put in a shift on and off the ball against a team like Barca, expect to lose or get raped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Fabregas out for the season. Wonder how much Wenger is regretting playing him. Probably quite alot, I would imagine. Times like this where you could really be missing Ramsey, would have represented a real, stern/challenging opportunity for him to step up to the plate. No reason why he wouldn't have done, given his obvious talent.

Anyway, enough of me being nice.

How's the anus from last night? Still rather sore or did the lube prevent any lasting bruising and soreness?
    He won't regret playing him at all. Fabregas would have insisted he played if he was fit and he's the teams captain, no point in regretting, we got a result in the end and just need to focus on the next leg and the Prem now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but would it be such a bad idea for Arsenal to park the bus? Just remembering the recent La Liga home games against Osasuna and Malaga, even though we won those gamesm 2-1 and 2-0 respectively it took us over 60min to score and not also the Malag and Osasuna created enough chances on the break to nick a goal or two.

Thoughts?
    Bad idea - as has been said - we're incapable of doing it. I'd rather we went out swinging anyway, playing as best we can.

Gutted Cesc is out, Nasri has been really good recently (sans some dodgy finishing at Brum), think he can step up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry-AA)
    I agree. But tbh another injury to any starting player now would just **** us right up, we need to get through the Wolves game with a win and an injury free squad, which is a big ask imo...
    We'll see...
    Oh deffo. We can't afford any more, certainly.

My honest opinion is it's probably asking too much to win either trophy now, but we're fairly close to the line in both cases with lots of surrounding variables so it's not necessarily guaranteed pessimism. At this stage it might not actually have as big an effect as one would be first inclined to suspect, as odd as it sounds. February or early March, ah, different matter. With six left in the league and potentially four in Europe, lots of other variables make themselves more and more felt with every passing game.

I have to say though, unlike the previous couple of years I strongly suspect I won't have any complaints about this season. They have grown up so much, and I'm very proud with how they're progressing. A few things have been out of our control, and while that's unfortunate and sad, it's no reason to call for the whole team to be sold.

ReputationRep:
    Nasri is more than capable of stepping up to the plate for the rest of the season, he's just a little more frail than Cesc for when we're playing Stoke-like teams.

Are you serious that Cesc would be on the bench for Spain? I'd play him ahead of Xabi Alonso any day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    To an extent, you made Barca look bloody splendid last night, much in the same way as we did in the CL final last year. They hurried and harrassed, chased down our players, we didn't do the same when they were in possession. Arsenal didn't go after Barca when they had the ball, didn't chase their players and the ball down. Barca did it magnificently in the first half, which contributed to you losing possession really easily. And on other occasions when there was no pressure applied from them, you ended up losing the ball rather stupidly. Arguably there wasn't enough hard work off the ball from Arsenal last night. If you're not going to put in a shift on and off the ball against a team like Barca, expect to lose or get raped.
    This is going to sound controversial but I IMO Pep's Barcelona struggle more against Spanish opposition than their European counterparts. The pace of the English game means there are more mistakes. It is no joke when I say the likes of Getafe and Osasuna hold onto the ball more than Chelsea, Arsenal and United could do. Playing with speed isn't always a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Are you serious that Cesc would be on the bench for Spain? I'd play him ahead of Xabi Alonso any day...
    :o:

Fabregas is in no way a starter for the Spanish NT. Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso are all favoured in central midfield ahead of him, not to mention Fabregas' limited flexibility compared to someone like Iniesta who can play on the flanks as well.

Comparing him to Xabi Alonso probably says a lot about you, tbh. Fabregas is only young though and he'll get his chance one day.

ReputationRep:
    The only player I honestly would have a **** over in this Barca huddle is Xavi. Seriously, he's a ******* outrageous player; some of his work last night was staggering. Cesc is a wonderful lad with years ahead of him, but this guy is a freak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    The only player I honestly would have a **** over in this Barca huddle is Xavi. Seriously, he's a ******* outrageous player; some of his work last night was staggering. Cesc is a wonderful lad with years ahead of him, but this guy is a freak.
    Are you just talking about CM? Or in the team as a whole? I feel you must be talking about CM because obviously a few others from the team are better in their positions than Fabregas is in his.

If you're just comparing him to the Barca CMs last night, the others were Keita and Busquets - a guy who hardly gets a game and someone who is practically new to the team this year - hardly fair comparisons.
    Xavi is a lot better though, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    :o:

Fabregas is in no way a starter for the Spanish NT. Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso are all favoured in central midfield ahead of him, not to mention Fabregas' limited flexibility compared to someone like Iniesta who can play on the flanks as well.

Comparing him to Xabi Alonso probably says a lot about you, tbh. Fabregas is only young though and he'll get his chance one day.
    I'm sorry, what exactly does it say about me?

I realise they are very different players, but I wasn't directly comparing them, simply saying I would rather start Xavi-Fabregas in the middle rather than Xavi-Alonso. I could be wrong, I guess. I'm intrigued to what it "says about me" though.

Alonso isn't as versatile as Iniesta either.

ReputationRep:
    Cesc has a borken leg; FML.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.