Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    Cesc is more of a scrote. I want to see more angry Welshmen with clown hair get verbally spanked by the little *******.

Xavi would probably just ask him to juggle or something.

:coma:

ReputationRep:
    I better be careful about what I say regarding the Welsh actually for certain reasons. :p:

But seriously, if he looked any more Welsh he'd be a sheep. </originalcomedy_inputhtcaccesslin e>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    So your comparing Xavi and Cesc over one match? While Cesc was half injured..

:facepalm2:

As I said Xavi possibly is marginally better, but Cesc has been better this season. I don't think anyone can take that away from him.
    I'm not comparing them over one match, don't be so ******* daft.

Xavi is a better player than Cesc, full ******* stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    I'm not comparing them over one match, don't be so ******* daft.

Xavi is a better player than Cesc, full ******* stop.
    You admit to not watching Barca play, and then you come out with that bold statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    You admit to not watching Barca play, and then you come out with that bold statement.

I'd learn to read if I were you.

I haven't seen much of Barca this season doesn't mean I haven't seen them at all, but I have seen a good 10 games, in which Xavi was a clear class above Fabregas.

Stop being so biased and just admit it, Xavi's a better player than Cesc.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being so biased and just admit it, Xavi's a better player than Cesc.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen much of Barca this season doesn't mean I haven't seen them at all, but I have seen a good 10 games, in which Xavi was a clear class above Fabregas.
    How is Xavi a clear class above Fabregas?

ReputationRep:
    Now you have to say that is a very beautiful array of Picards regardless of your opinion on the topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    Because he played better than half injured player yesterday.

Apparently Xavi is the best playmaker in the world by a country mile...

ReputationRep:
    Xavi's in a class of his own when it comes to the CM position - he is the best CM in the world.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Xavi is the superior player, overall. But he's got a few years on Cesc, and so imo it's somewhat unfair to compare them at this stage.

Either way, Cesc is an absolutely staggering talent who will keep developing and in five years time the conversation will probably be much more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Xavi's in a class of his own when it comes to the CM position - he is the best CM in the world.
    Stop with your statements, and actually give some depth & substance to your post. What makes him the best CM in the world? What aspects of his play are so good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    I'd say Xavi is the superior player, overall. But he's got a few years on Cesc, and so imo it's somewhat unfair to compare them at this stage.

Either way, Cesc is an absolutely staggering talent who will keep developing and in five years time the conversation will probably be much more interesting.
    Cesc has the potential to become better than Xavi, but at the moment, Xavi remains the better player.

In 5 years, Xavi will be 35

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ϟEϟCϟCϟ)
    when looking at how arsenal should play in the nou camp, it's obviously of critical importance to note the difference between the first and last thirty minutes. barca's initial work-rate meant that arsenal did not have a chance to start playing their game and after five minutes, it was clear, that as a team, arsenal were severely lacking confidence. no team, least of all arsenal, is used to being closed down just outside their area.

certainly, the fact that cesc was not fully fit and this combined with diaby's unusually poor performance mean that arsenal were not able to ping the ball forwards, from defence to attack. i found myself surprised to note how well (in relation to the rest of their initial performance) bendtner was holding the ball up. as soon as arsenal rely on holding the ball, they're done for. the introduction of eboue for arshavin made a significant difference; where i had previously been desperate for arshavin to drop deeper, eboue now managed to shore things up and yet still remained a powerful forward driving force. his combination too with walcott was excellent.

as far as i can recall, last night's game was the most nervous i have ever been for a football match. for long periods of the first half, i was reduced to a nervous wreck, fumbling my popcorn, with my teeth genuinely chattering. i was forced to make light of the situation. i felt as if i was watching arsenal play a league two team. cries of aragorn style 'take him out' and 'bring him down' were probably my most coherent for the first half. that's what barca reduced us to, and that's what we've got to guard against next tuesday. we have to start well, which isn't something we've done too well this season.

i am fully of the opinion that nasri is the key to us getting through. his close ball retention and distribution is exceptional; head down and eyes to the floor, he can run around in circles all day long before finally passing the ball safely away. when barca press us next week, i've got faith in nasri being able to play the ball up-field and critically, that was something we massively lacked yesterday. we could well have been demolished yesterday, and for almost the entire of the first half, i was certain the we would. but we were not. we showed that we can take it to barca, be aggressive in our attack and expose their defensive frailties. we can beat them. it's interesting to note that a 0-0 would have, on paper, been a better result and some would say that a goalless second half that was similar in pattern to that of the first half would have been favourable when compared to the two away goals we conceded. i disagree. in the second half, we showed the spirit. and that's what we need to win.

(also, can someone tell me what the spanish papers have been saying. i've taken great delight in running snippets about walcott through dodgy online translators but most of them come up with something like 'to the lawn, walcott took to with exceptional input')
    Nice post. :yy:

I haven't checked, but no doubt Sid Lowe has written an article/blog on The Guardian website on the match, as he's their Spanish correspondent. We also have our very own MM in this soc who's an Arsenal supporter that is based in Spain; he does provide a balanced view despite his allegiances. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Good substance there Stalin

I think Xavi is an incomplete midfielder. Fabregas already offers a greater all-round game, as do a few others (Lampard and Essien are two relevant to this thread for instance).

However, Xavi would likely get into most World XIs, as a sub or first-teamer, because he offers some of the greatest passing accuracy in the World, making him a formidable 'hole' player.

ReputationRep:
    Stop with your statements, and actually give some depth & substance to your post. What makes him the best CM in the world? What aspects of his play are so good?
    The intelligence and speed he has makes him almost impossible to tackle without conceding a foul, having played 350 odd times for Barca, 80 odd times for Spain, won the Champions League twice and the Euro, he's got experience coming out his ears, not to mention the numerous amounts of perfect passes he picks out game in game out which makes him, imo, the best playmaker in the world right now.

Add that up and you have a perfect CM, better than Fabregas, Fat Frank et al.

Tell me who think is better then, I'm sure it'll some quality laughing material.

Have a look at his trophy cabinet:

Euro 2008 Player of the Tournament
    FIFPro World XI: 2007-08, 2008–09
    IFFHS World's best playmaker: 2008,2009
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2008, 2009
    FIFA.com Team of the Year: 2008
    La Liga 2008-09 Top assist provider (20)
    UEFA Champions League 2008-09 Top assist provider (7)
    UEFA Club Best Midfielder: 2008-09
    LFP Best Midfielder: 2008-09
    Ballon d'Or: 3rd Place 2009
    FIFA Club World Cup Bronze Ball: 2009
    2009 FIFA World Player of the Year Third

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Good substance there Stalin

I think Xavi is an incomplete midfielder. Fabregas already offers a greater all-round game, as do a few others (Lampard and Essien are two relevant to this thread for instance).

However, Xavi would likely get into most World XIs, as a sub or first-teamer, because he offers some of the greatest passing accuracy in the World, making him a formidable 'hole' player.
    See post above Mr Yoghurt

Incomplete? I think he's as complete as you're likely to find.

ReputationRep:
    My dad used to call me 'yoghurt pot' :facepalm2:

You're like my dad

Xavi is slower than me. Fact.

ReputationRep:
    I am your dad

ReputationRep:
    Not enough substance about him as a player. Sorry.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.