Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwback)
    Is the bolded bit correct? Absolutely unbelievable if so...
    Absolutely, a top man he is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    José started at Inter during the 08/09 season.

Robbie, I do indeed speak with an Irish accent, what with being Irish and all. :sexface:
    I hope you drink heavily and irresponsibly too :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Mr Ali, you are correct, the lack of spirit both from the Manager and the fans is worrying, especially since its BEEN 5 years since they won a trophy (Which IIRC was a blag in the FA Cup over Utd).

The fans have lots their guts, their belief, and their glory. Forever to be stuck in this transition period. To me it seems the transition period has gone on slightly longer than they expected and is continually extending

Its OK though, there is always one deluded one who thinks 'this year will be our year'. Careful though, or he may soon become a cheap imitation of a Liverpool fan.

Another few years of meandering around with no trophies and the blame can squarely be placed on the shoulders of the manager and board for failing to change a failing implementation of their long term strategy.
    A 'long-term' strategy is exactly that, foo'. If we had slipped out of the Top 4 during the so-called 'transition period' I'd have moaned and groaned and screamed 'sack Wenger blah blah blah', but we haven't. We've remained as competitive as ever the whole time and just because we haven't won a trophy means nothing.

Look at how long Newcastle were challenging at the top winning nothing. Then they sacked Robson and we all know the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    This shocks me the most. Top managers find players and more importantly, they find tactics to get by and get through. Mourinho won the champions league and domestic league with FC Porto. He then guided Chelsea to back to back league titles before carrying on his winning tradition with Inter. If he doesn't lose at home in the next week, he will remain unbeaten at home with any club for 8 years.
    This is a real manager who goes through different generations, clubs, staff, tactics and finds success. So why are you willing to give Wenger another 5 years? Are you admitting he can't produce tactically? Are you admitting he is unable to find world class players again which he did years ago when he first came?
    How exactly has Arsene not found players? This is what I dont get the most, Arsenal fans seem to think if Arsenal dont win anything then they're as much use as Portsmouth yet one club is in a very decent financial state which is hugely admirable and consistently gets top 4 and plays on the biggest stage in club football and the other is up ***** creek and in danger of going into administration.
    This is what brings up the glory fan statements because some fans seem to think winning trophies is the be all and end of all of a football club, I do question how they would cope with supporting a midtable or lower league club managed by a clueless board.

Arsene took Arsenal from a decent club to one of the biggest in the world. Moving to the Emirates played a huge part in that, unfortunately that means making sacrifices on the pitch whilst the debt is managed. But in the coming years, provided we continue to get top 4 and manage the debt well, more investment will be made into the team and Arsenal will once again win silverware. I'm not too disheartened because i'll still be supporting Arsenal then and will enjoy the rewards of the Emirates and in the mean time i'm happy to get on with things just like any league club that isnt winning anything does. Securing top 4 on the shoestring budget will only ensure that the good times come sooner rather than later which is much better than gambling on trophies now but putting the stability of the club in danger

ReputationRep:
    The fans have lots their guts, their belief, and their glory. Forever to be stuck in this transition period. To me it seems the transition period has gone on slightly longer than they expected and is continually extending
    I have made many posts in this thread but you have summed up everything I mean in three sentences.
    At the start of the transition period I was more than happy to allow Wenger time and space to get things back together. I would even be more patient right now, 5 seasons on, if I saw light at the end of the tunnel. But right now, we are no better than we were when we first fell into this "fight for European football" position.

ReputationRep:
    'Fighting for European football' is what Spurs, Villa and Everton are up to. Not us.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love a repeat of our quarter final a few years back lads... Please beat Porto to keep it alive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I hope you drink heavily and irresponsibly too :sexface:
    Only during the week and at weekends. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even discussing Arsenal affairs with Zizali and Clubber Lang anymore. Both too stupid for me to take an interest in, one through no fault of their own and one through no end of trying. Both woeful excuses for WUMs.

Just trolls, boring uninteresting troll rubbish. A collective disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    A 'long-term' strategy is exactly that, foo'. If we had slipped out of the Top 4 during the so-called 'transition period' I'd have moaned and groaned and screamed 'sack Wenger blah blah blah', but we haven't. We've remained as competitive as ever the whole time and just because we haven't won a trophy means nothing.

Look at how long Newcastle were challenging at the top winning nothing. Then they sacked Robson and we all know the rest.
    It all boils down to one thing...how much money is available to spend. Any "is Wenger doing well enough?" argument always comes down to that debate. Everyone has a different theory; not helped by the club purposely providing contrasting information. I do blame Wenger for getting tactics wrong in some big games and not prioritising competitions correctly, but ultimately, when you're competing against clubs that have far out-spent you, you'd be doing well to beat the 'rest of the best'. Of course, if it turns out that Wenger purposely refuses to spend the £20m+ that you seemingly need to be likely to find a good player these days, then he should be blamed.

Personally, I think (and I've always said this in the 932598754 times it has been discussed on here before) if there was a relatively risk-free way Wenger could spend such money, he would've. He's not an idiot. Every manager tries to do the best with what they have...some managers significantly overspend and land in trouble, but I've never known managers to significantly underspend because there's no real point.

ReputationRep:
    A collective disgrace.
    LOL! You may have respect from the guys you have brainwashed in here, but your opinions hold no weight in the real world. You have never said anything which has come true, you type out team sheets and formations that never get used, you are nothing more than a frustrated fan of football. No matter how hard you try you will never get the game, ever. It's hard to take, but get over it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even discussing Arsenal affairs with Zizali and Clubber Lang anymore. Both too stupid for me to take an interest in, one through no fault of their own and one through no end of trying. Both woeful excuses for WUMs.

Are you mucking about on 606 again Rob?

"If arsenal are to beat the portinators then they will have to make sure that Nicolas Anelka and Yossi Benayoun are on top form. These two players give so much to the arsenal team and you would not be able to look past them if you were choosing a World XI. I also believe that Ryan Shawcross would be integral to such a team."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    LOL! You may have respect from the guys you have brainwashed in here, but your opinions hold no weight in the real world. You have never said anything which has come true, you type out team sheets and formations that never get used, you are nothing more than a frustrated fan of football. No matter how hard you try you will never get the game, ever. It's hard to take, but get over it.
    :lolwut: Dude you have issues. I have never seen a fan hate/criticise his own club so much. Its like something someone said before, it seems like you come on here and ask questions to purposefully put down your own players

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    Are you mucking about on 606 again Rob?

"If arsenal are to beat the portinators then they will have to make sure that Nicolas Anelka and Yossi Benayoun are on top form. These two players give so much to the arsenal team and you would not be able to look past them if you were choosing a World XI. I also believe that Ryan Shawcross would be integral to such a team."

That stream of consciousness is straight out of the Zizali/Collmoyre scrap-book.

Prison levels of moronic mental self-rape :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)

You have had blips along the way. I would argue you are no better title challengers than you were 2 or 3 years ago. You still have similar problems as you did back then. Whats worse is that 1 or 2 teams could be much more likely to break into the top 4 in the next couple of years

Just seems that too many Arsenal fans on here are content to sit back - whereas for me, alarms bells should be ringing.

The transition seems to have lost some steam, some players have left like Flamini and Hleb. Would be disaster if the likes of Fabregas and Van Persie left. Could even set the transition period back a couple more years.

ReputationRep:

You talk the talk, but apart from wishing death and injuries on other fans and players and overblowing Arsenals chances to the size of your belly you don't really add much yourself BobbieC

ReputationRep:
    You talk the talk, but apart from wishing death and injuries on other fans and players and overblowing Arsenals chances to the size of your belly you don't really add much yourself BobbieC
    The fact that you are incapable of understanding my highly intelligent and mindful discussions with my fellow Gooners, does not mean they do not exist.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

Sometimes this place can be worse than an episode of Eastenders.

ReputationRep:
    I'm willing to bet my account that Arsenal will either draw or lose 1-0 to Porto.

ReputationRep:
    That's great, but no one wants your account.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.