The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8260
geoff_yin
When was the last time an English team beat Barca at their place? :curious:

Only Liverpool have done it, 2-1 back in 2007.

Toure is a doubt at the moment, he may make it.

Also Abidal is back, huge news for Barcelona as he is defensively superior and faster than Maxwell. With the monster season he has had he can contain Walcott the best.
Rubin Kazan beat them at Camp Nou in October.......
Reply 8262
Kevmeister
Rubin Kazan beat them at Camp Nou in October.......

I thought we were looking at English teams?

I'd love for Arsenal to copy Rubin's winning tactics though :yep:
Barça
I thought we were looking at English teams?

I'd love for Arsenal to copy Rubin's winning tactics though :yep:

I know, but I thought I'd post it just to show that ye can be beaten at the Nou Camp. History rarely matters in games like this, imo, it's just stats on a page......

That would be a sight to behold. :yep:
Its all well and good saying rape them at 70mins with Walcott.

I think the real issue is not getting raped in the first 70 mins yourselves.

Should be a good match overall I think. Although I want to see Arsenal go crashing out I will lol if Barca get knocked out.
Reply 8265
Barça
Only Liverpool have done it, 2-1 back in 2007.

Toure is a doubt at the moment, he may make it.

Also Abidal is back, huge news for Barcelona as he is defensively superior and faster than Maxwell. With the monster season he has had he can contain Walcott the best.

Ah yes I remember now. A Victor Valdes horror show iirc.
Reply 8266
geoff_yin
Ah yes I remember now. A Victor Valdes horror show iirc.

I just can't believe how solid he has become, I was on the 'VV can **** brigade' those years.
If Arsenal win I assure you that you will see me in one of those Daily Fail articles:

"GEL Lout Goes On Rampage After Arsenal Victory- WUMs all over Barca"
Clubber Lang
Its all well and good saying rape them at 70mins with Walcott.

I think the real issue is not getting raped in the first 70 mins yourselves.

Should be a good match overall I think. Although I want to see Arsenal go crashing out I will lol if Barca get knocked out.

Why do you hate on Arsenal? :lolwut: Surely you'd want us to win in order for UTD to have it easy.
Sephirona
Why do you hate on Arsenal? :lolwut: Surely you'd want us to win in order for UTD to have it easy.

Not necessarily, Id love to see Utd take on Barca

Supposing Utd go through a match again Barca Arsenal or Inter would all be good.
Clubber Lang

Supposing Utd go through a match again Barca Arsenal or Inter would all be good.

So you want us to lose so you can lose? :holmes:
Michelin Man
If Arsenal win I assure you that you will see me in one of those Daily Fail articles:

"GEL Lout Goes On Rampage After Arsenal Victory- WUMs all over Barca"

Is that some sick sexual act you are gonna perform on Barca (the poster)
Sephirona
So you want us to lose so you can lose? :holmes:

Unlike you pussies I'd rather beat the best to be the best.

Wouldn;t be a very good spectacle in the final were we to thrash you 3-0 or whatever again eh? :wink:
Clubber Lang
Unlike you pussies I'd rather beat the best to be the best.

Wouldn;t be a very good spectacle in the final were we to thrash you 3-0 or whatever again eh? :wink:

I don't think it would be a good game, it would just be Barca physically penetrating from behind. :sexface:
Clubber Lang
Is that some sick sexual act you are gonna perform on Barca (the poster)

LOL bless his little blaugrana heart.

No, I'm living/working in Barcelona for my placement so it'll be the city who gets my wrath. Got tickets as well. I fully expect some kind of retribution. I won't actually try to get kicked out but I haven't been this emotional about football for ages.
Clubber Lang

Try not getting raped again. I actually want an English team to have a proper contest with Barcelona other than my own you know.
NDGAARONDI
Try not getting raped again. I actually want an English team to have a proper contest with Barcelona other than my own you know.

Lend us the double decker and we'll see what we can do.
Reply 8277
Valdez is not the most stable keeper out there, given the chance we should be letting Denilson, Nasri and if he plays Rosicky shoot from 25 yards. With an untested defence, even a Bendtner has a much better chance of following up. Theo needs to be deployed at around 60 minutes or at half time if we are behind. Sticking him on the left could be an advantage, Pep would have no choice but to realise what happened in the first leg and keep Alves back on walcott, thus removing a significant part of their build up play. It would also allow Theo to come inside an shoot, which would be more effective than shooting from the right.

Also from corners we have to be leaving Theo on the half way line with Nasri and Eboue/Denilson just outside, if we clear the ball just play a through ball or give it to Theo to run. They would most likely have 3 back and with theo running at full pace would stand no chance.

As for captain, Almunia really doesn't satisfy it well enough. Give it to Vermaelen or even Song. They are the only two players who commit fully every week apart from Sagna who I don't see doing a great deal vocally from right back. Either way we just need to maintain 65%+ possession in the opening 10 minutes which is a colossal task. Let the players settle down, watch for the long ball and build up slowly. Diaby is the key player in the midfield, he needs to impose himself.

Also who will Barca play upfront without Ibra? Thierry? What happened to Bojan? he was mean't to be the next Messi but seems to have faded rapidly.
Reply 8278
QUWERTY
Valdez is not the most stable keeper out there, given the chance we should be letting Denilson, Nasri and if he plays Rosicky shoot from 25 yards. With an untested defence, even a Bendtner has a much better chance of following up. Theo needs to be deployed at around 60 minutes or at half time if we are behind. Sticking him on the left could be an advantage, Pep would have no choice but to realise what happened in the first leg and keep Alves back on walcott, thus removing a significant part of their build up play. It would also allow Theo to come inside an shoot, which would be more effective than shooting from the right.

Also from corners we have to be leaving Theo on the half way line with Nasri and Eboue/Denilson just outside, if we clear the ball just play a through ball or give it to Theo to run. They would most likely have 3 back and with theo running at full pace would stand no chance.

As for captain, Almunia really doesn't satisfy it well enough. Give it to Vermaelen or even Song. They are the only two players who commit fully every week apart from Sagna who I don't see doing a great deal vocally from right back. Either way we just need to maintain 65%+ possession in the opening 10 minutes which is a colossal task. Let the players settle down, watch for the long ball and build up slowly. Diaby is the key player in the midfield, he needs to impose himself.

Also who will Barca play upfront without Ibra? Thierry? What happened to Bojan? he was mean't to be the next Messi but seems to have faded rapidly.

It's as if the points you make about Barcelona you are stuck in 2007. Valdes not stable? Bojan the next Messi? How on earth is a 19 year old supposed to fade :confused: Anyway Bojan played yesterday and scored 2 goals with clinical quality. He should start ahead of Thierry 'I'm to sentimental to play' Henry.

Also maintain 65% possession in the opening 10 minutes isn't a huge ask, it's just impossible.
Reply 8279
Barça
It's as if the points you make about Barcelona you are stuck in 2007. Valdes not stable? Bojan the next Messi? How on earth is a 19 year old supposed to fade :confused: Anyway Bojan played yesterday and scored 2 goals with clinical quality. He should start ahead of Thierry 'I'm to sentimental to play' Henry.

Also maintain 65% possession in the opening 10 minutes isn't a huge ask, it's just impossible.

Tbh i haven't watched Barca in a while, but he used to get all the headlines. Now he seems to have given way to Pedro, who seems to be credited with alot more.

Latest