Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Try not getting raped again. I actually want an English team to have a proper contest with Barcelona other than my own you know.
    *salutes*

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling really quite confident as this approaches. Growing in my belief that we can mug them off.

A lack of Ibra and Toure would do it for me, then I think we're on level pegging with them, if the players all give 100% and know their responsibilities.

Song and Verm will be drilled if they are to play together now. They'll be fine, as fine as any CB pairing against the best attacking force in club football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I'm feeling really quite confident as this approaches. Growing in my belief that we can mug them off.

A lack of Ibra and Toure would do it for me, then I think we're on level pegging with them, if the players all give 100% and know their responsibilities.

Song and Verm will be drilled if they are to play together now. They'll be fine, as fine as any CB pairing against the best attacking force in club football.
    If Arsenal pull it off it will be the biggest WUM ever accomplished.

I'm ludicrously confident though, as arrogant as it may sound I just cannot see Arsenal not conceding less than 2 goals.

ReputationRep:
    We kind of crumbled to Barca WUM in the first leg, but when we attacked... you fell to pieces. It was like we were playing Swindon Town all of a sudden, with no pace or organisation... It was a disastrous sight, and I was convinced we'd get a third in the last five minutes. Insane game.

I think if we concede two without scoring, we'll implode.

ReputationRep:
    We kind of crumbled to Barca WUM in the first leg, but when we attacked... you fell to pieces. It was like we were playing Swindon Town all of a sudden, with no pace or organisation... It was a disastrous sight, and I was convinced we'd get a third in the last five minutes. Insane game.

:coma:

ReputationRep:

Like last time? I'm sorry but that fightback left me a bit disgusted tbh. It was quintessential British grit and determination, the kind of self-belief I associate with Scunthorpe United. Next time, stay down in your mess you dead puppies

ReputationRep:
    **** 'em up in the most unattractive way please. Barca are far too smug for my liking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QUWERTY)
    As for captain, Almunia really doesn't satisfy it well enough. Give it to Vermaelen or even Song. They are the only two players who commit fully every week apart from Sagna who I don't see doing a great deal vocally from right back. Either way we just need to maintain 65%+ possession in the opening 10 minutes which is a colossal task. Let the players settle down, watch for the long ball and build up slowly. Diaby is the key player in the midfield, he needs to impose himself.
    No.At least for that game.Sudden captaincy change won't do any good to his confidence (which we will be needing) .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    Like last time? I'm sorry but that fightback left me a bit disgusted tbh. It was quintessential British grit and determination, the kind of self-belief I associate with Scunthorpe United. Next time, stay down in your mess you dead puppies
    How on earth can you be living in England and support a Spanish team? Unless you're Spanish or have lived in Spain or something you seem like a fake. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)

His enormous British fat body will destroy Messi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Lend us the double decker and we'll see what we can do.
    Your lot wouldn't know how to park a bus if they tried.

ReputationRep:
    Your lot wouldn't know how to park a bus if they tried.
    Tbh we parked a pretty good bus at home against them in 2008.

Fact is, no team in the world can outplay Barcelona.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)

atletico madrid did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)

Depends what you mean by outplay. Barcelona are not unbeatable and I have a feeling that Arsenal will win. No point playing their game and trying to outpass them because that will fail, but there are other ways you can beat them within the rules of the game. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    He can actually **** right off. He had stud marks in the back of his leg. I'm sure it didn't hurt at all. Just because he didn't break his leg doesn't make it an ok tackle FFS.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...75367,00.html?

ReputationRep:
    Mick McCarthy is a piss take of life.

The fact that he is alive, breathing my air disgusts me. It is offensive that he gets to live life, and petulantly refuses to donate his appalling latter years to me, that I may live forever by absorbing his soul.

What am I talking about... :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmadjan3)
    atletico madrid did.
    Yeah sometimes they have a bad day at the office. On a normal day at the office not many teams can live with them.

Depends what you mean by outplay. Barcelona are not unbeatable and I have a feeling that Arsenal will win. No point playing their game and trying to outpass them because that will fail, but there are other ways you can beat them within the rules of the game. :yes:
    I meant a contest. I don't understand why a team would spend millions of pounds on world-class players then park the bus home and away. But that's just my view as a neutral.

Problem is, Arsenal will go out there and try to outpass them. They don't know any other way. And without three of their best players I'm not so confident they can go there and win.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want us to abandon our way of playing, but we need to have a focussed counterattacking strategy in tandem with our quick passing, and need to up the tempo a little.

Basically, not focus on merely outpossessing, as that won't really work... but passing quickly enough that they can't press us.

That big pitch may work out very nicely for us.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want us to abandon our way of playing, but we need to have a focussed counterattacking strategy in tandem with our quick passing, and need to up the tempo a little.

Basically, not focus on merely outpossessing, as that won't really work... but passing quickly enough that they can't press us.

That big pitch may work out very nicely for us.
    Ah but the irony is that I think at the old highbury pitch we would have pressed them into submission. It was a little box of a pitch and they really would have struggled to play the passing game that cut us open in the first 60 mins. It's irrelevant because we play a similar style IMO so it cancels out.

ReputationRep:
    Eboue/Arshavin counter attack against porto was flawless. In contrast to the horrible crap this week against the wolves during the last seconds.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.