Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    In my opinion, the Barcelona players wanted it more because of the prospect of winning the CL at the Bernabeu. That would be the ultimate one-fingered gesture to Madrid.
    Shame we'll never have the incentive of winning the CL at WHL. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I made inappropriate comments in the frustration of going another year without the sweet taste of success last night, apologies Pool fans.

Theres still the league but with the amount of injuries we need a ******* miracle, or at least for Chelsea form to fall again :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Shame we'll never have the incentive of winning the CL at WHL. :awesome:
    :rofl: was thinking the same thing. WHL should be renamed Forever-Fail stadium

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    He can wind up whoever he wants.
    LOL at Chelsea fans..... Mourinho **** all over u with inter... But they still have the cheek to mock are loss

another joke of a team lol

I still remember the day when john terry missed the penalty kick against man u in the champ leag final.....LOL....oh john terry my friend lol

ReputationRep:
    I still remember the day when Juliano Belleti got the winner for Barcelona. Wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    I still remember the day Peter Withe scored the winner in 1982 :moon:

Well, not exactly :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Yes but at least we didn't cry about it cfc, which is more than can be said for your joke of a captain.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but at least we didn't cry about it cfc, which is more than can be said for your joke of a captain.

lol. John terry = the king of muppets

ReputationRep:

At least our captain isn't scared of celery ffs. Is there anything wrong in crying either? Or do we all have to be big men about things and never show emotions. I suppose you're so cool you've never cried over football eh.

ReputationRep:
    At least our captain isn't scared of celery ffs. Is there anything wrong in crying either? Or do we all have to be big men about things and never show emotions. I suppose you're so cool you've never cried over football eh.
    You're right, he probably isn't scared of celery. He just cheats on his wife and disrespects a friend.

And yes, I am so cool that I've never cried over football.

ReputationRep:
    there's nothing wrong with crying.....but when your as much of a d***head as john terry.....a 'crying john terry' is just a little funny

ReputationRep:
    You're right, he probably isn't scared of celery. He just cheats on his wife and disrespects a friend.

And yes, I am so cool that I've never cried over football.
    Right knob he is eh.

Well done sandeep, i'll give you a few stickers for that.

ReputationRep:
    Right knob he is eh.

Well done sandeep, i'll give you a few stickers for that.
    Soz dude but the only thing chelsea will be winning this season is the FA cup. Manu u the carling cup. Liverpool, well theyll make the europa league with Ngog as target man. And Arsenal will win the league.

Liverpool, spurs and west ham fans shouldnt even comment.
    For you spurs supporters out there we'll dent your hopes of CL. football.
    Liverpool fans will be without torres and possibly gerrard. Look on the bright side, youve got lucas to cover gerrard and Ngog to cover torres.
    Westham fans, where should i even start. Lets hope you make a quick return to the EPL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Very little to be proud of, going out like that. No desire = no trophy.
    I think that's quite unfair. We definitely battled a lot harder than in the first leg -- but in the first leg we got some lucky breaks, and in this'un we didn't.

What made it harder was our holding midfielder -- Denilson -- getting booked for a ****in' fantastic challenge early on. And for the rest of the game, he knows he can't stick a foot-in and win the ball back because he'll be sent off. Absolute joke of a refing performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    I think that's quite unfair. We definitely battled a lot harder than in the first leg -- but in the first leg we got some lucky breaks, and in this'un we didn't.

What made it harder was our holding midfielder -- Denilson -- getting booked for a ****in' fantastic challenge early on. And for the rest of the game, he knows he can't stick a foot-in and win the ball back because he'll be sent off. Absolute joke of a refing performance.
    Every time we had the ball two Barca players - at least - were running at/already climbing all over - our players. We didn't get a spare second all game to do anything, save for when Clichy stole in and intercepted before galloping forwards.

When Xavi had the ball, he ambled forwards as two of our players ambled alongside him, possibly about 5 feet away, and didn't even consider going toward him until he was halfway to our penalty box. It happened countless, ridiculous number of times.

As much as I ******* adore Diaby and Nasri, they are luxury players in a game like that... and really let us down badly with their chasing down. We needed Ray Parlour and Petit last night, in people's faces... kicking their heels. You can't be happy with the shift put in by those players...

Denilson, Clichy and Rosicky were the only ones who covered enough ground imo... in any meaningful way.

Decision making, by all players was generally :lolwut:, some poor refereeing decisions just made it worse.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I ******* adore Diaby and Nasri, they are luxury players in a game like that... and really let us down badly with their chasing down. We needed Ray Parlour and Petit last night, in people's faces... kicking their heels. You can't be happy with the shift put in by those players...

Denilson, Clichy and Rosicky were the only ones who covered enough ground imo... in any meaningful way.

Decision making, by all players was generally :lolwut:, some poor refereeing decisions just made it worse.
    The reason no one tracked that well because of the referee. Getting close to a Barcelona player would result in a free-kick. If we had the same amount of freedom we have in the EPL, Diaby would've done better. You can't blame the ref for everything that happened last night though. Rosicky, Walcott and Bendtner lost the ball way too much and Diaby and Nasri seemed bored ffs.

I actually now can understand how some lesser teams perceive us as soft..some of the **** going on at nou camp doesn't even happen on a catwalk. We need to come up with a new abbreviation for Busquets and the like

ReputationRep:
    Every time we had the ball two Barca players - at least - were running at/already climbing all over - our players. We didn't get a spare second all game to do anything, save for when Clichy stole in and intercepted before galloping forwards.

When Xavi had the ball, he ambled forwards as two of our players ambled alongside him, possibly about 5 feet away, and didn't even consider going toward him until he was halfway to our penalty box. It happened countless, ridiculous number of times.

Spot on.

Obviously we had a lot of injuries and we would've been able to compete far better if we had a fit Song and Cesc out there, but on the topic of workrate, compare the team last night to the team that played in the 2006 CL run:

------------Lehmann------------

Eboue--Senderos--Toure--Flamini

Ljungberg--Gilberto--Cesc--Hleb

--------Pires---Henry---------

(Reyes played more often than not, and Pires was hanging further back in midfield, but anyway...)

That team screams energy. Lehmann -- good goalkeeper. Eboue - can run all day, tracks back. Senderos - not great but wasn't afraid of sticking his head in, Toure - can run all day, Flamini - can run all day, tracks back. Ljungberg - can run all day, tracks back. Gilberto - couldn't run all day but had the positional awareness to be effective. Hleb - can run all day, tracks back.

We can point the blame at Silvestre or Sagna or whoever but the first thing any trophy-winning team does is defend from the front. Manyoo are the ****in' masters at it.

Although Vermaelen was quite poor over the two legs, we need more players like him. Some aggression. Particularly in midfield and on the wide areas of the front 3. Pace and power - pass and move. We were the pioneers, **** knows why we've abandoned it.

I sound like a broken record...and I probably am, in fairness. We have definitely improved on the 'workrate' front which is the reason we are currently 3 points off top place. It has been a good season. But we just need to push on this summer and continue to continue progressing, not sell our star assets and move backwards like we did in '08.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    But we just need to push on this summer and continue to continue progressing, not sell our star assets and move backwards like we did in '08.
    That is what I'm scared of. Apart from the two granddads, any sale would be a disaster. I had a nightmare last night we lost the EPL on goal difference..FOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    That is what I'm scared of. Apart from the two granddads, any sale would be a disaster. I had a nightmare last night we lost the EPL on goal difference..FOL
    Who are the two granddads?

IMO, the minimum we need are upgrades on Gallas, Almunia, Eduardo. After this, back-ups for the CB position (if Sol can't continue) and for the holding midfield position are very welcome.

Upfront, we have already got Chamakh in for next year, and Van Persie (don't know how long he can manage without an injury). Bendtner is now, at least, a good striker. So that's 3 strikers over 6'2 that are good in the air, and so that's heading in the right direction (pun very much intended).

It's just a matter of getting those 2/3 defensive players in. Whether Arsene will do it is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    i lol'd at this till i peed lol..literally..how did skysports do this..

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.