Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Who are the two granddads?

IMO, the minimum we need are upgrades on Gallas, Almunia, Eduardo. After this, back-ups for the CB position (if Sol can't continue) and for the holding midfield position are very welcome.

Upfront, we have already got Chamakh in for next year, and Van Persie (don't know how long he can manage without an injury). Bendtner is now, at least, a good striker. So that's 3 strikers over 6'2 that are good in the air, and so that's heading in the right direction (pun very much intended).

It's just a matter of getting those 2/3 defensive players in. Whether Arsene will do it is another matter.
    Sol and Sylvester are the granddads. I got a feeling we might get rid of Bendtner. Your right about the fact that defence is were we need to improve but I would be devastated if Almunia was still our no.1 next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    Sol and Sylvester are the granddads. I got a feeling we might get rid of Bendtner. Your right about the fact that defence is were we need to improve but I would be devastated if Almunia was still our no.1 next year.
    Almunia might well be our no.1 next season. I think Wenger's got a blindspot when it comes to some of his 'favourites'. Although Almunia was fine last season imo. He only turned into a retard this season.

It could be a disaster if we got rid of Bendtner. The guy's only 22 and is improving all the time. His finishing is often poor but he scores so many important goals -- you cannot underestimate that quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Almunia might well be our no.1 next season. I think Wenger's got a blindspot when it comes to some of his 'favourites'. Although Almunia was fine last season imo. He only turned into a retard this season.

It could be a disaster if we got rid of Bendtner. The guy's only 22 and is improving all the time. His finishing is often poor but he scores so many important goals -- you cannot underestimate that quality.
    I'd be absolutely gutted if Bendtner went. He's done well for us this season (when he's been fit). The sitters he misses against the likes of Burnley shouldn't define him. I'm more worried about Eduardo and, even more so, about Vela. I get the impression that he couldn't give a **** for the team and feels fine resting on his Carling Cup laurels. I hope I'm wrong though. I don't see Almunia leaving us. Sol and Silvestre (and Gallas) will probably be going so we need someone who's experienced in Arsenal colours in the dressing room, even if that's Almunia.

Need someone who can play the 'Cesc' role in our team while the man himself is out. We usually need Nasri and Denilson/Rosicky/Diaby to make up for what's lost.

ReputationRep:
    IMO we must keep Bendtner. His first touch and dribbling ability still need some work but I think it can be done, he's just been so important to us this year in deputising for RvP. Just look how hard he worked against Barca last night, he was winning so many headers.

ReputationRep:
    I think after the Birmingham game Wenger finally had enough of Almunia so I'd be surprised if he didn't at least try to go for a decent keeper in the summer. Other than that the arrival of Chamakh and hopefully a good central defender means our team is fine. Maybe look to get rid of the likes of Vela and definitely Silvestre. Obviously Barca are going to launch their annual Cesc campaign but I hope he can see how much we've progressed and with just a few additions we'll have a great chance of the league next year, if we don't do it this year.

ReputationRep:
    I think the lack of a shift from Nasri and Diaby, amongst others, were due to a lack of leadership on the pitch. Almunia can't shout out at them from the goal, really, I think we need Cesc/Sol on the pitch to get a decent shift out of everyone, and provide some motivation.

I really was disappointed in Nasri. I think that early challenge, which was btw a horrible one, from Milito knocked him a bit.

I know some WUMming Manyoo fan said that that wasn't a bad challenge, but it was, he deliberately stuck two feet in - one for the ball and one for Nasri's leg.

I think Man U are going out to Bayern tonight, btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    I think the lack of a shift from Nasri and Diaby, amongst others, were due to a lack of leadership on the pitch. Almunia can't shout out at them from the goal, really, I think we need Cesc/Sol on the pitch to get a decent shift out of everyone, and provide some motivation.

I really was disappointed in Nasri. I think that early challenge, which was btw a horrible one, from Milito knocked him a bit.

I know some WUMming Manyoo fan said that that wasn't a bad challenge, but it was, he deliberately stuck two feet in - one for the ball and one for Nasri's leg.

I think Man U are going out to Bayern tonight, btw.
    It was a good challenge. Nothing at all wrong with it, if it was so then why was there no appeal from Nasri or his teammates?

I wasn't WUMming, btw. Good challenge, imo.

ReputationRep:
    BTW, Vela wasn't in the squad yesterday because he lost his passport.

-sigh-

ReputationRep:
    I'm not confident about our chances tonight but at least we won't get gang-raped by Munich tonight. The two legs you played vs Barca were an embarrassment. The difference between us and Arsenal when playing Barca? We could have put the CL final match to bed in the opening 10mins. We didn't, they scored against the run of play, we didn't recover and we allowed them to penetrate us up the arse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    It was a good challenge. Nothing at all wrong with it, if it was so then why was there no appeal from Nasri or his teammates?

I wasn't WUMming, btw. Good challenge, imo.
    A good challenge doesn't involve lunging in and swiping a player out with the leg not going for the ball. It was a reckless and if the referee was consistent then that was a red card. But he was more interested in booking Denilson for taking the ball and then Messi tangling with him and booking Eboue for trying to fend off a player who was fouling him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    BTW, Vela wasn't in the squad yesterday because he lost his passport.

-sigh-
    No way :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    I'm not confident about our chances tonight but at least we won't get gang-raped by Munich tonight. The two legs you played vs Barca were an embarrassment. The difference between us and Arsenal when playing Barca? We could have put the CL final match to bed in the opening 10mins. We didn't, they scored against the run of play, we didn't recover and we allowed them to penetrate us up the arse.
    lol, Utd like Chelsea parked the bus v Barca, the 1st goal made no difference last night and it wouldn't havent affected the final because Barca still broke Utd down despite camping back. All 3 got raped but at least Arsenal had a bit of a go at it. We were leading the tie after 110 mins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    A good challenge doesn't involve lunging in and swiping a player out with the leg not going for the ball. It was a reckless and if the referee was consistent then that was a red card. But he was more interested in booking Denilson for taking the ball and then Messi tangling with him and booking Eboue for trying to fend off a player who was fouling him
    You put it better than I could (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    What? A red card? Yeah sure.....

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ticktockclock)
    I don't know what arsenal you watched but the arsenal i watched was certainly not attack minded. The fact that we barely had any shots on goal illustrates this. When we got the ball we tried to 'keep it' but were hustled and pressed quickly by barca that's why couldn't keep hold of the ******* ball.
    Maybe you've calmed down now, and will stop reacting to people making a point by trying to take it off track with an insane rant about the europa league. What that has to do with someone making an observation on your teams play, I dont know. I can only assume that 'Babel Time' still haunts you dearly.

Yes, the reason you were so successfully hustled and pressured by Barca, is because you still refuse to employ a proper DM. Manchester United have only started reaping dividends in europa after SAF identified the fact that you need a holding midfielder after they were tore a new one by AC Milan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    No way :lolwut:
    True story.

ReputationRep:

And a 5 game ban if you're going to book Denilson for a great tackle and Eboue trying to shrug off a guy pulling at him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    True story.
    :rofl2: Oh god :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)

Liverpool, spurs and west ham fans shouldnt even comment.
    For you spurs supporters out there we'll dent your hopes of CL. football.
    Liverpool fans will be without torres and possibly gerrard. Look on the bright side, youve got lucas to cover gerrard and Ngog to cover torres.
    Westham fans, where should i even start. Lets hope you make a quick return to the EPL.
    I don't think you should be taking potshots at peoples back up striker, when you have '4 sitters for a goal' Nicholas Bendtner.

Another trophyless season. Well done Arsene Wenger

ReputationRep:

He didn't say it was a red card. He said IF the ref was consistent, it would have been. It was twice as bad as Denilson's "foul" which earned him a booking.

Btw Bendtner > Ngog by so much.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.