Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontBuyTheSun)
    That's fair enough. Still think their was a more effective approach to the game available to you that didn't play into Barca's hands.
    Probably, but we couldn't pull that off. Remaining as defensively soild as we could then seeing what we could do on the break was our best bet and that's what we did. We lost to the best player and best team in the world with half a team, no shame in that at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    lol, I'm not talking about the manager! I'm just saying that as a fan, I'd rather be knocked out the way we were, than the way you were! :nooo: :p:
    Crossed wires. :nah: Just move on, tbh, 10 men for 40mins....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Indeed, mostly Arsenal fans getting batted out of the park

Damn there are so many WUMs on here now I almost can't handle the heat.
    Theyve learnt from the best?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    Probably, but we couldn't pull that off. Remaining as defensively soild as we could then seeing what we could do on the break was our best bet and that's what we did. We lost to the best player and best team in the world with half a team, no shame in that at all.
    I wanted to ask you your opinion actually, on the 'shift' put in... I really saw SO little from them, except Clichy and Denilson - our most criticised players - no one seemed up for it whatsoever. Woeful.

ReputationRep:
    What a lush goal from Robben.. very bad week for Manyoo tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Do we actually have Chamakh or not?

ReputationRep:
    In other news Chamakh scored for bordeaux, he looks to be good. So does Lloris though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Well, I think he's basically self-confirmed it. I always see him going on about how he has to focus on Bordeaux for now, and how much he loves Arsenal, blah blah blah. We won't hear from the club obviously.

Good goal tonight, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I wanted to ask you your opinion actually, on the 'shift' put in... I really saw SO little from them, except Clichy and Denilson - our most criticised players - no one seemed up for it whatsoever. Woeful.
    Maybe, but the amount Barca shift the ball around you have to completely reposition yourself so many times. Charging in cost us twice in the home leg and once away, so putting pressure on the ball holder can't replace tactical discipline. I'd be interested to see the stats for ground covered and average position last night. Part of the difference between Barca and ourselves is Barca make the pass straight away, we always seem to wait until we're under pressure then make a sometimes rushed decision. Whether that is deliberate to draw players out of position I don't know, but particularly with crosses we don't seem to take our opportunities to put in a good ball whilst unpressured. Particularly last night that can make it seem like we aren't closing when really we haven't had a chance to position, analyse and then challenge like you have to do against a team of Barca's quality. At the end of the day, they can pass it 6 yards sideways all day, it's the incisive pass through players you need to cut out and I think that was our first priority. I agree that the ref meant that no-one wanted to go in like they would've otherwise, but ultimately we were undone by individual brilliance. It happens, just like United found out tonight, and there's not much you can do about it.

For some brief sections of the game we seemed to play the beautiful game better than Barcelona did, only difference being we didn't have a Messi to make the difference. I know they had players out too and it's not an excuse, but I think the match-up deserved both teams going at it at full strength. Maybe if we had the clinical edge of Robin, the drive of Cesc, the being an actual human being of Gallas, the magic of Arshavin and the solidity of Song it could've been different, but that's the way it goes. We've had a cracking trip to Barcelona and a decent showing in the CL once again. We all wished for more, of course we did, but it hasn't been a bad old run and I'm not complaining. Hopefully we make the changes we know have to made in the summer and we'll have another crack at it next year. Like I said before, there's no shame at all at going out to the best team in the world, we just have to keep going until everyone else says that about us when eating our dust.

I do agree though, Clichy was fantastic, if everyone had his lungs we'd be tearing it up every week. Love him.

ReputationRep:
    Fabregas out, Chamakh in. would it really matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Eh?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    what? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Eh?
    He thinks Cesc is going to go because we lost to the best team in the world with the best player in the world on top form. Makes perfect sense, eh?

ReputationRep:
    I hope Cesc stays.

ReputationRep:
    Now that Fabregas is sidelined he can bring his puffa jacket to the games and WUM from the touchlines.

Even spit a bit here and there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    I hope Cesc stays.
    I'm interested in your reasons for this, because I remember that you posted about how you would like to see a Cesc-Xavi-Iniesta midfield before.

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in your reasons for this, because I remember that you posted about how you would like to see a Cesc-Xavi-Iniesta midfield before.
    Take it to the European thread.

Leave this for discussion for the Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    Cesc won't leave, not even worth talking about.

What is astounding to me is how much people discuss him being made in Barcelona or that it is his spiritual home. It's beyond rubbish. Utter trash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Take it to the European thread.

Leave this for discussion for the Arsenal.
    I wish more people took this advice, the European football thread gets lonely sometimes.........:o:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.