Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Cesc won't leave, not even worth talking about.

What is astounding to me is how much people discuss him being made in Barcelona or that it is his spiritual home. It's beyond rubbish. Utter trash.
    I just looked back at your posts made when Henry was leaving Arsenal and you were adamant it was all rubbish and he wouldn't go either.

ReputationRep:
    Henry's situation was completely different. He was a liability in his last season and his attitude was ****in' tragic.

Cesc seems to have his head screwed on right. Every time there has been any speculation gathering pace, he has been the first to deny it. He says he's committed to the club and this season he has really showed how much the club means to him. I don't expect him to go anywhere for quite a while.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with Overmars, I can't see Cesc leaving for a while. He'll end up at Barca imo, but atm they look more likely to invest in a forward than a midfielder. And as :sexface: as a Cesc, Xavi, Iniesta midfield sounds it's a gamble as to whether it would work, Cesc is more likely to leave when Xavi is old and past it or retreats to a Pirlo role. You'll have him for a good few years yet

ReputationRep:
    What is it with this Messi phenomenon? Generally he's the best player around, but last nights game... his goals were basically Darren Bent-esque.

He ran, really fast, in a straight line. Only when he got to a one on one did he show immense technique, the only non Darren Bent component of his goals.

The chip and his first strike were individually fantastic, but generally he did little in the way of amazing dribbles through players/slaloming around...

Richard Keys seemed to be having an orgasm over his quality... but last night wasn't really evident of anything but the fact that he is very fast and can score when the ball bobbles off somebody and into his path, somewhat fortuitously.

Only his shots themselves were unstoppable. For Almunia anyway, who made all the tough decisions for him... mostly by slipping over and allowing the chip-rape.
    Fourth goal?

He made two good feints to get to shoot. He got lucky but then got it through Almunia's legs. I thought that was a pretty good dribble. There were other examples, but because Arsenal midfielders committed at good times, he wasn't able to get into his stride.

However I do agree that it's certainly not the best game to showcase his talents. It seems like people are focussing on quantity and individual moments rather than quality. Similar with Robben after the United game. For two years there have been so many aspects of his game that have made him a world class winger; only now has he been "noticed" properly, because of two good goals on big stages.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how any PL fan can WUM about Cesc leaving. It would dramatically lower the quality of our league and over time mean it less likely you will keep your stars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Fourth goal?

He made two good feints to get to shoot. He got lucky but then got it through Almunia's legs. I thought that was a pretty good dribble. There were other examples, but because Arsenal midfielders committed at good times, he wasn't able to get into his stride.

However I do agree that it's certainly not the best game to showcase his talents. It seems like people are focussing on quantity and individual moments rather than quality. Similar with Robben after the United game. For two years there have been so many aspects of his game that have made him a world class winger; only now has he been "noticed" properly, because of two good goals on big stages.
    Also when dispatched Vermaelen and Sagna with a nutmeg finish. The run he made before Denilson got wrongfully carded, what was that like 4 Arsenal players?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    I'm interested in your reasons for this, because I remember that you posted about how you would like to see a Cesc-Xavi-Iniesta midfield before.
    I would like to see that for fan boy reasons and pure orgasmic triangular interactions :coma:

In reality Cesc as good as he is is not Xavi, he'd be on the bench and he would cost way too much for such a role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppaloth)
    I don't understand how any PL fan can WUM about Cesc leaving. It would dramatically lower the quality of our league and over time mean it less likely you will keep your stars.
    It would reduce the quality of Arsenal. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys what's the news on Van Persie's injury? Any confirmation on when he's coming back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    I would like to see that for fan boy reasons and pure orgasmic triangular interactions :coma:

In reality Cesc as good as he is is not Xavi, he'd be on the bench and he would cost way too much for such a role.
    I think you may get lucky in the world cup. I've said it too often on this forum, but Spain function so so much better with a 4-5-1 and I honestly think squeezing them into the midfield wouldn't crumble like squeezing in random Galacticos would. However, if they do play that, they'll presumably use the same formation as they did in the Euro finals, using Xavi, Fabregas and Senna in the middle with the latter holding, and Silva on the left, so Iniesta would probably be out of position on the right.

Still, imo it should happen, and it might happen :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    I think you may get lucky in the world cup. I've said it too often on this forum, but Spain function so so much better with a 4-5-1 and I honestly think squeezing them into the midfield wouldn't crumble like squeezing in random Galacticos would. However, if they do play that, they'll presumably use the same formation as they did in the Euro finals, using Xavi, Fabregas and Senna in the middle with the latter holding, and Silva on the left, so Iniesta would probably be out of position on the right.

Still, imo it should happen, and it might happen :yep:
    If Cesc is bought and Iniesta is pushed outwide than quite frankly Francesc should stay the **** away. Iniesta is so so much better in the middle, it's a world of difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephirona)
    Hey guys what's the news on Van Persie's injury? Any confirmation on when he's coming back?
    Wenger said 2-3 weeks, 2 weeks ago, I believe.

"We have just to get him back to full team fitness - that will take two to three weeks maximum" (25th March)

Some were talking of him being on the bench against Tottenham. Unless he has suffered a set-back, (which isn't exactly unlikely knowing our luck) I assume that could be on.

If he was to make the bench, that would be such a massive boost. But I don't think we should be expecting anything from him this season. It's very much up to Bendtner to keep carrying our goal threat -- and he has done a decent job so far.

ReputationRep:
    Cesc won't leave, not even worth talking about.

What is astounding to me is how much people discuss him being made in Barcelona or that it is his spiritual home. It's beyond rubbish. Utter trash.
    He might not leave this season, but I'd be genuinely surprised if he didn't leave soon.

He spent all the years up to the age of 16 loving Barca. He's spent 6 years at Arsenal... I doubt that's enough time to convert someone to become a super-devout Arsenal player. I'm sure he'll love the club... but I'm also guessing he'll want to go home sometime!

And probably while Barca are still at their peak. My random guess is that it'll be when Xavi is a bit older/slower than he is now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)

"We have just to get him back to full team fitness - that will take two to three weeks maximum" (25th March)

Some were talking of him being on the bench against Tottenham. Unless he has suffered a set-back, (which isn't exactly unlikely knowing our luck) I assume that could be on.

If he was to make the bench, that would be such a massive boost. But I don't think we should be expecting anything from him this season. It's very much up to Bendtner to keep carrying our goal threat -- and he has done a decent job so far.
    Good stuff. I wasn't expecting him to play this season anyway so even if he makes one premier league appearance I'd be really happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)

24th April according to the physio room (pretty reliable). Possibly bench against Man City. Would love to see him start against Rovers away and Fulham home, perfect enough games to make a comeback. Can't wait to see him back in an Arsenal shirt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    It would reduce the quality of Arsenal. That is all.
    So you think if one of the best players in the league left, with another (Torres) looking fairly likely the league wouldn't be weakened. Footballers are very fickle and egotistical, if it looks like Spain is the new "place to be" like the PL was a few years ago I wouldn't mind betting a few "stars" would have second thoughts about playing here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    If Cesc is bought and Iniesta is pushed outwide than quite frankly Francesc should stay the **** away. Iniesta is so so much better in the middle, it's a world of difference.
    If you're referring to club, as most people have said I can't see Fabregas leaving for a while.

ReputationRep:
    TBH when Henry left we thought Arsenal would fall apart. But they went onto top the league before EPICALLY crumbling.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppaloth)
    So you think if one of the best players in the league left, with another (Torres) looking fairly likely the league wouldn't be weakened. Footballers are very fickle and egotistical, if it looks like Spain is the new "place to be" like the PL was a few years ago I wouldn't mind betting a few "stars" would have second thoughts about playing here.
    I wish Eto' and Messi could come to the EPL. :coma: That would be exciting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    TBH when Henry left we thought Arsenal would fall apart. But they went onto top the league before EPICALLY crumbling.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
    You guys really got robbed today. :teehee:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.