Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Arsène will finally spend some money in the summer.

Edin Dzeko anyone - we can always dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    Great reply, very constructive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    I'm not entirely sure that I'll be able to enunciate my thoughts on this, given that I've had more than a few pints, but essentially Arsenal have needed to win the small games because they havn't stood a chance against United or Chelsea (who are of a much higher quality). my thought here is that next season, Chelsea and Manchester United will undoubtedly put in better performances against the smaller clubs, but how are arsenal going to close the gulf between them and the leaders/second place in terms of quality?

The debate isn't about whether we're making progress (at least I didn't intend it to be). Of course the club and players are making some progress, my concern is that it's all just a little bit futile. There are fundamental problems in the squad (highlighted by Barcelona - and by that I just mean that the Barca games REALLY highlighted them) that aren't going to be solved by another inactive transfer window.

The defence is fundamentally poor (save for Eboue and Vermaelen - Although calling Eboue a defender is a little much) and half of the team is still infected by the 'can't be arsed attitude.' It's an absolute miracle that Arsenal havn't conceded more goals this season. You can have the best single defender in the world but he's not gonna do jack without another top 3 around him.

My point is that this 'progress' will, or has reached a plateau, and just like this last summer and the summer before, I don't see what Wenger is going to do about it.

Edit: And another concern is that every year of 'progress' is another year without a trophy for Fabregas. Barca are calling, and after the other night(s) I bet he's listening.

Definitely agree with you, if players like diaby and nasri cant be motivated enough to put in a shift and a half against barcelona at the nou camp then you just have to question their mentality. I think the fact that wenger keeps talking about this 'mental strength' after every win has fooled everyone into believing that we are resilient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Great reply, very constructive.
    Is that sarcasm? I don't know what post you've quoted.

(Original post by ticktockclock)
    Definitely agree with you, if players like diaby and nasri cant be motivated enough to put in a shift and a half against barcelona at the nou camp then you just have to question their mentality. I think the fact that wenger keeps talking about this 'mental strength' after every win has fooled everyone into believing that we are resilient.
    That's why I hate the talk of 'last season we would have lost that game.' So superficial, it means nothing.

I never thought Arsenal were going to win the Barca game(s). In fact it's probably the only time I'd ever have bet on Arsenal losing (monetarily I mean). I'd accepted if before the match started. Seeing the players with dropped heads was no surprise either. They got beaten at their own game. Diaby was just plain awful, I'm not sure it had anything to do with his attitude, he was just crap.

Talking of crap, I'm getting fed up of Walcott. You can run as fast as you like but it's no good if you can't take the ball with you son.

ReputationRep:
    Tommy,

It is not all the players and it is not all the time. Admittedly, everyone should give 100% in 100% of matches, but that's not always going to happen.

Theo took the ball and managed to score to bring us back into the tie in the first leg. He is doing alright, but still needs some time and our patience. He clearly remains with bundles of potential, the same as Bendtner...

Bendnter, btw Stalin, is worth having more than Dzeko.

ReputationRep:
    Almost at 10000 posts ffs :coma:

ReputationRep:
    If Shawcross gets the 10,000th post in this thread I'm killing myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    If Shawcross gets the 10,000th post in this thread I'm killing myself.
    I'm sure the dupe read that and is planning a sabotage now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting and I'm here all day :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    I'm sure the dupe read that and is planning a sabotage now.
    Well it was nice knowing you all :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    Well it was nice knowing you all :emo:
    this could be an epic crumble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    You might as well start a new thread now mate. It's gonna be at 10,000 within the hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    this could be an epic crumble
    I'd be in the record books for the biggest crumble of many a generation :facepalm2:

If any of you lot fail to the 10,000th post, I'm going to make your life ******* miserable before I kill myself :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    I'd be in the record books for the biggest crumble of many a generation :facepalm2:

If any of you lot fail to the 10,000th post, I'm going to make your life ******* miserable before I kill myself :ahee:
    lol it's just a 10,000th post, not a matter of life and death! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)

You'd better start getting the noose ready then

ReputationRep:
    You'd better start getting the noose ready then
    Are you suggesting that perhaps Shawcross is already online and waiting :teeth: ?

ReputationRep:
    Not in the tsr world it isn't

ReputationRep:
    Not in the tsr world it isn't
    Maybe only in the TSR footie forums world...

ReputationRep:
    Shawcross got the dressing room 10,000th, can't let him rule the footie forum forever

:p:

ReputationRep:
    lol :cool:

No sign of Shawcross. :mmm:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.