Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, what's the point in Portugal?

Spain should either annex the country thus making the map of Spain more complete, or we should build a fence round it and nuke it - preferably with Ronaldo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    Indeed. The wording was a blatant attempt to get a reaction out of him. What a ****.

I don't think anyone is upset too greatly at the result, per se. Heck, that was my prediction. The away goal is critical and in that sense I'm relatively happy.

However, the manner in which we conceded both goals was preventable to say the least and our performance in the second half was embarrassing for a club claiming to have eyes for the European crown itself.

We got away lightly in that we once again demonstrated an impressive ability to shoot ourselves in the foot. Do that in London and the tie is dead. Survive, and do that in any later rounds against superior opposition and we will be absolutely crucified. These childish reactions have simply got to stop.
    I'd agree with this. I believe that if ye got your heads down and tried to play your game then ye could've snatched a draw, but ye tried to fight fire with fire.

Song will be key in the second leg. Any definitive word on his injury?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    I'd agree with this. I believe that if ye got your heads down and tried to play your game then ye could've snatched a draw, but ye tried to fight fire with fire.

Currently expected to be fit for the weekend. Only Gibbs, Djourou and RVP are supposed to be left on the injury table after that.

http://www.physioroom.com/news/engli...jury_table.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Currently expected to be fit for the weekend. Only Gibbs, Djourou and RVP are supposed to be left on the injury table after that.

http://www.physioroom.com/news/engli...jury_table.php
    You shouldn't have said that. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest the standard of officiating in football isn't any worse than any other similar sports. It's just a combination of a lack of respect for the officials and the high profile nature of the sport that makes mistakes more glaring. In Union if the referee makes a mistake the players aren't questioning it and just accept the decision. The mistake doesn't receive anywhere near the same coverage and analysis either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    You shouldn't have said that. :facepalm2:

I did say supposed. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    To be honest the standard of officiating in football isn't any worse than any other similar sports. It's just a combination of a lack of respect for the officials and the high profile nature of the sport that makes mistakes more glaring. In Union if the referee makes a mistake the players aren't questioning it and just accept the decision. The mistake doesn't receive anywhere near the same coverage and analysis either.
    Officials have video replays in rugby. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)

We were clearly deeply affected by the second concession. Where we differ fundamentally from teams like United and Chelsea is, imo, not necessarily technical - but in how we respond to concessions and points of contention. We tend to either kick our feet up in a strop and sit in the corner with our arms folded or, as we did tonight, let it get to us to such an extent whereby our flow is completely eliminated. Psychologically that is nothing new to deal with - champions however do deal with it. We can't, and as far as I'm concerned regardless of age there is no excuse for it. They have all this wonderful ability but truly idiotic naivety and a psychological weakness I have absolutely no respect for.

I have no idea about Song currently. I'm too blinded by rage to comprehend. :mad:

And personally I really think we should stop worrying about refs as much. We ****** up. The ref isn't going to give us much help anyway. Relying on them is pointless. If we deal with out own **** we don't have to be concerned. Every time we pass the buck nowadays I see this bunch of kids avoiding responsibility.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JK_91)
    Seriously, why can't some sort of hawk-eye system be introduced, have challenges like tennis which the ref can over-rule if he deems them to be solely used to break up play. Saying that controversy is part of the game is such a **** reason imo and used effectively there's no way it would really disturb the flow of the play, I mean, surely it could be implemented in a lower league somewhere or something to test it if nothing else. It's in so many other sports it really pisses me off when there are such ***** decisions as the one tonight.
    Yeah, we should have video replays and some kind of challenge system, but the idiots at FIFA are against it.

ReputationRep:
    Officials have video replays in rugby.
    Not used for as many instances as you may think. Forward passes and offsides are not subject to the video referee, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Bring back lehmann ffs. Atleast it was funny when he ****** up.

We didnt play too bad and im confident well smash them at the emirates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Not used for as many instances as you may think. Forward passes and offsides are not subject to the video referee, for example.
    I know this, but offsides and forward passes are remarkably easy things to judge with the lines on the pitch. Not always totally clear-cut, but an easier decision to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    Seriously, why can't some sort of hawk-eye system be introduced, have challenges like tennis which the ref can over-rule if he deems them to be solely used to break up play. Saying that controversy is part of the game is such a **** reason imo and used effectively there's no way it would really disturb the flow of the play, I mean, surely it could be implemented in a lower league somewhere or something to test it if nothing else. It's in so many other sports it really pisses me off when there are such ***** decisions as the one tonight.
    You realise Hawk-Eye is just a ball tracking system? It wouldn't help for anything bar whether the ball crossed the line or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    We were clearly deeply affected by the second concession. Where we differ fundamentally from teams like United and Chelsea is, imo, not necessarily technical - but in how we respond to concessions and points of contention. We tend to either kick our feet up in a strop and sit in the corner with our arms folded or, as we did tonight, let it get to us to such an extent whereby our flow is completely eliminated. Psychologically that is nothing new to deal with - champions however do deal with it. We can't, and as far as I'm concerned regardless of age there is no excuse for it. They have all this wonderful ability but truly idiotic naivety and a psychological weakness I have absolutely no respect for.

I have no idea about Song currently. I'm too blinded by rage to comprehend. :mad:

And personally I really think we should stop worrying about refs as much. We ****** up. The ref isn't going to give us much help anyway. Relying on them is pointless. If we deal with out own **** we don't have to be concerned. Every time we pass the buck nowadays I see this bunch of kids avoiding responsibility.
    There's no doubt for me wrt technical ability, ye are miles ahead of all teams in the league. Wenger must know about the psychological issue....

WRT responsibility, Wenger has to take the blame for that, when he says 'We were unlucky...' despite clear evidence that mistakes cost ye then he's basically making the players infallible.

ReputationRep:
    I know this, but offsides and forward passes are remarkably easy things to judge with the lines on the pitch. Not always totally clear-cut, but an easier decision to make.
    Try telling that to some Kiwis after a certain match against France.

ReputationRep:
    I think we can take a few positives from tonight. Hopefully tonight confirmed to Wenger that we need a decent goalkeeper, Almunia has been awful this season and Fabianski has probably been worse. Also we still got the away goal and should progress, especially if we get a few key players back. And even if we get knocked out, then we can focus on the league :awesome:

But we did play poorly and in our last 6 games we've now won 1, drawn 1 and lost 4 which is a disaster plus Fabregas looked as disappointed as I've ever seen, I wouldn't be surprised if he was thinking of leaving. Despite all these negatives though we are still very well positioned in both the league and the Champions League and if we can get a good run going from now this can still be a successful season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    there's a relationship between officiating and a lack of respect for officials. If bad decisions are made by the referee, it's understandable that players, managers and fans lose respect for referees. Referees are human beings and make mistakes, fair do's, but there comes a point where a line is crossed and the quality of officiating is simply downright unacceptable, intolerable and taking the piss. Platini should try and embrace the concept of harm-reduction and try out video technology and the like. But being the clumsy, incompetent clown that he is, I can't see this materializing.

Off to bed.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought Wenger's problem with their 'goal' was the same as mine... they took the freekick while he was facing away from the ball, and the field and stopping Campbell from doing anything.

It was a backpass, it was daft to pick it up... but the goal should not have stood, and it should have been a re-take. The ref hadn't picked up his whistle or anything, and wasn't even watching. A panicked screw-up on his part.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. It's only used for decisions relating to tries and kicks at goals. Even a fairly stop-start sport at rugby doesn't want the flow to be interrupted by constant referrals.

Video replays are great for sports that consist of a distinct set of "plays" i.e. Tennis (points), American Football (downs), Cricket (balls) etc. I don't really want to see them in other sports where the play isn't a distinct set of "plays". After all it's the same for both sides and there's no guarantee it improves the officiating. Test cricket hasn't benefitted at all thus far.

ReputationRep:
    Try telling that to some Kiwis after a certain match against France.
    To be fair that's just one game, as indeed tonight was.

It's irrelevant now though, we've left ourselves a task to do, but an easily achievable task.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.