Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    In your opinion. You'll find the exact same *****ing and moaning about officiating in American Football as you will here in football. The officials were openly ****ged off for their performance in Vikings v Saints. Even the NFL themselves felt obliged to point out serious errors were made.
    It's a far more technical game though, either way it's not important, if a ref can't see a clear infringement from 10 metres then he's not up to the job, in any sport

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GunnerMT)
    I agree that they shouldn't chop and change the interpretation of the rules as they please but if that is how the referee performs consistently with regards to free kicks then it should of been something Wenger had reaserched and warned his players about.

Personally I would love to go back to the old way of the advantage being to the attacking team.

(Original post by Panthalic)
    The referee had to ask for the ball back in my opinion and it was up to Fabianski to be a bit more intelligent, to keep hold of the ball whilst arguing the point more. An experienced goalkeeper would of done this, Schmeichal would of nearly ripped the referee in two getting his point across.
    Campbell wasn't blocked off as he never even tried to go for the ball, he was too busy in a 'woe is me' moment, looking to God and rubbing his knees.
    If Fabianski is talking to the linesman rather than the ref that is his old fault for not getting on with the game.

The Arsenal players should of got back and charged in to the area disrupting the game.

ReputationRep:
    A few points on what was essentially an amazing football match to watch.

1) I don't even care that Arsenal lost; they put so much heart and soul into this game. It felt so good being an Arsenal supporter tonight.
    2) Devastatingly, I doubted Nasri tonight. Previous games pointed to the fact this man was not playing to his potential and this made me sad. Fortunately, he proved me wrong from the offset! What a performance from him, such a vital asset to our team and tonight's game.
    3) Denilson. We all know he isn't the most skillful player in the world, but he proved to be solid tonight. So much heart and everytime he went into a tackle, I knew he would win it for us. He can be so unpredictable, but when he turns his lights on upstairs, this guy is great.
    4) Fabregas and Rosicky were fantastic as usual. Fab's wasn't dazzling, but he played the balls we needed and kept it short and sweet.
    5) Bendtner was exactly what we needed. I hope he'll continue in the form that he's in for the remainder of the season.
    6) Two goals absolutely gifted to Porto. Ref had a good game up until his atrocious decision to allow Porto's second goal. Also, I feel so sorry for Fabianski. He really didn't deserve luck to pay him so harshly. Other than those two opposition goals, he had a solid game.
    7) Campbell. MOTM. What a man he is. I hope people will agree with me about this particular point, because Sol was simply awesome.

8) Don't worry Gooners, we will destroy them at the Emirates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ticktockclock)
    Bring back lehmann ffs. Atleast it was funny when he ****** up.

We didnt play too bad and im confident well smash them at the emirates.
    Respect to him.

This is the reason why we need jens lehmann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNHOBdHyRfM

:woo: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)

1) I don't even care that Arsenal lost; they put so much heart and soul into this game. It felt so good being an Arsenal supporter tonight.
    2) Devastatingly, I doubted Nasri tonight. Previous games pointed to the fact this man was not playing to his potential and this made me sad. Fortunately, he proved me wrong from the offset! What a performance from him, such a vital asset to our team and tonight's game.
    3) Denilson. We all know he isn't the most skillful player in the world, but he proved to be solid tonight. So much heart and everytime he went into a tackle, I knew he would win it for us. He can be so unpredictable, but when he turns his lights on upstairs, this guy is great.
    4) Song, Fabregas and Rosicky were fantastic as usual. Fab's wasn't dazzling, but he played the balls we needed and kept it short and sweet.
    5) Bendtner was exactly what we needed. I hope he'll continue in the form that he's in for the remainder of the season.
    6) Two goals absolutely gifted to Porto. Ref had a good game up until his atrocious decision to allow Porto's second goal. Also, I feel so sorry for Fabianski. He really didn't deserve luck to pay him so harshly. Other than those two opposition goals, he had a solid game.
    7) Campbell. MOTM. What a man he is. I hope people will agree me about this particular point, because Sol was simply awesome.

4) :erm: Song wasn't even playing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    4) :erm: Song wasn't even playing.
    LOL! Just edited it out. I have know idea why I put him in there.

Must've played that well.

ReputationRep:

4) Fabregas and Rosicky were fantastic as usual. Fab's wasn't dazzling, but he played the balls we needed and kept it short and sweet.
    7) Campbell. MOTM. What a man he is. I hope people will agree me about this particular point, because Sol was simply awesome.

You must have been watching a different game because cesc,nasri and rosicky were shocking tbh. Definitely agree about sol, he was immense so was diaby.

ReputationRep:

4) Song, Fabregas and Rosicky were fantastic as usual. Fab's wasn't dazzling, but he played the balls we needed and kept it short and sweet.

1) Heart and soul was exactly what they lacked, especially after the second goal
    2) Nasri was fairly average imo
    3) Denilson was fairly average imo
    4) I wouldn't describe any of your players as fantastic, and Song didn't even play
    5) Bendtner was poor, especially with ball at feet

2nd goal shouldn't have been given and Campbell was probably your best player, and yes you will still get through, and quite comfortably imo

ReputationRep:
    Kinda funny how much Arsenal fans have been raving about how key Song has become this season but two different people in this topic didn't even realise he wasn't playing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    The referee had to ask for the ball back in my opinion and it was up to Fabianski to be a bit more intelligent, to keep hold of the ball whilst arguing the point more. An experienced goalkeeper would of done this, Schmeichal would of nearly ripped the referee in two getting his point across.
    Campbell wasn't blocked off as he never even tried to go for the ball, he was too busy in a 'woe is me' moment, looking to God and rubbing his knees.
    If Fabianski is talking to the linesman rather than the ref that is his old fault for not getting on with the game.

The Arsenal players should of got back and charged in to the area disrupting the game.
    I disagree. Regardless of whatever acts of gamemanship Fabianski "should've" engaged in, the point is the official is in control of the game, not him. It was directly because of the referee's actions that Porto gained an advantage that lead to a goal. That is the problem, not that Fabianski didn't mouth off and disobey the referee.

Without getting too far into what the Arsenal players should've done (which isn't the issue), they would've quite reasonably expected more than 2 seconds after the ball was given to the referee to react, at which point the ball is dead and there is no reason why the Porto players should be in a position to play it any time soon. It's not even as though a foul was committed that had broken up a Porto move, a technical foul had taken place and it was only the referee's actions that allowed them to take advantage of that in the way they did. Like I said, the problem isn't the application of the rules or what Arsenal players did or didn't do, it's the poor game control of the officials.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, reading the quotes I just got and looking back at the last few pages, I see I may be in a minority. I honestly didn't think it was that a bad a performance. Sure we lost the first leg, but definitely up until Porto's second goal, we were in cruise control (wish we had taken advantage).

And again, total accident of adding Song into my post.

ReputationRep:
    People saying Song was fantastic tonight, priceless.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Regardless of whatever acts of gamemanship Fabianski "should've" engaged in, the point is the official is in control of the game, not him. It was directly because of the referee's actions that Porto gained an advantage that lead to a goal. That is the problem, not that Fabianski didn't mouth off and disobey the referee.
    Well it doesn't really matter how well the officials officiate (and bear in mind opinion is divded whether the referee should have disallowed the goal and, furthermore, the referee was certainly entitled to let the goal stand) if you're going to be as green as Arsenal are, as it's going to cost you at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Well it doesn't really matter how well the officials officiate (and bear in mind opinion is divded whether the referee should have disallowed the goal and, furthermore, the referee was certainly entitled to let the goal stand) if you're going to be as green as Arsenal are, as it's going to cost you at some point.
    The only point I'm making is that the referee was actively involved in securing an advantage for Porto, which he shouldn't be doing. I've said twice now that I have no problem with the application of the rules and I haven't commented on the wider performance at all. You can say that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of the game, but if that's what I'm discussing, the place in the big picture is irrelevant. The whole game itself is irrelevant to the eventual heat death of the universe, but it's still a valid topic of discussion.

ReputationRep:
    The only point I'm making is that the referee was actively involved in securing an advantage for Porto, which he shouldn't be doing. I've said twice now that I have no problem with the application of the rules and I haven't commented on the wider performance at all. You can say that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of the game, but if that's what I'm discussing, the place in the big picture is irrelevant. The whole game itself is irrelevant to the eventual heat death of the universe, but it's still a valid topic of discussion.
    How was he directly involved? By simply asking for Fabianski to return the ball so Porto could take the freekick quickly as they were entitled to? The only person at fault there is the naive defender - not the referee.

ReputationRep:
    How was he directly involved? By simply asking for Fabianski to return the ball so Porto could take the freekick quickly as they were entitled to? The only person at fault there is the naive defender - not the referee.
    He not only passed the ball back to the Porto player in the wrong position, but he then just stood there interfering in play and actually obstructed Campbell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Life)
    People saying Song was fantastic tonight, PRICELESS LOL...
    He's so good he is fantastic even when not playing:p: .

Ive been a clichy fan for a long time but now its becoming a joke. He has become a liabilty. He has always been **** at defending but he made up for that by constantly supporting attacking play and making amazing runs. Now he just sits at the halfway line not supporting our attacking play but still gets raped defensively which renders him useles because now he cant defend or attack for ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Life)
    People saying Song was fantastic tonight, priceless.
    He didn't put a foot wrong! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Come off it, how often does a referee demand the ball to give immediately to the other side? Have you ever seen that happen before? The naive defender is not in control of the game, the official is. If the Porto player had demanded the ball, Fabianksi wouldn't have given it to him. If the Porto player already had the ball and took it quickly, I wouldn't have a problem. The ref didn't just allow Porto to take it quickly, he actually helped them do so. Referees shouldn't help teams in any way, which this guy did. That's the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ar5enal Fan)
    He not only passed the ball back to the Porto player in the wrong position, but he then just stood there interfering in play and actually obstructed Campbell.
    FML. He did not onstruct Campbell, Sol walked into him.

Sol should've gone to specsavers.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.