Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    I don't think they often ask for the ball to be given to them, majority of the time it's passed to an opposition player near where the infringement took place. It's not unreasonable to assume that if a referee asks for the ball in his hands, he will take control of the situation, not simply hand the ball over to the opposition player.
    It was a bit of a farce, really. Within about 15 seconds, the ref had basically decided to turn a 1-2 away lead into a 2-1. How the **** was Rosicky's penalty shout not given a few seconds ago??

Still, Fabianski... :facepalm2:

A non-**** goalkeeper and we'd be much better placed in this tie. But we ain't got a non-**** goalkeeper. I think we'll be ok to progress to the next round though.

Feel bad for players like Rosicky -- he was ****ing awesome tonight. Just the usual stuff -- Clichy getting raped, crap goalkeeping -- prevented him from being on a winning team. Ah well...lets see what happens in the second leg.

ReputationRep:
    omg lads crumble crumble crumble!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    x
    Well, it cannot be doubted that this performance was much better than the previous 4. That alone should be cause for minor celebration, especially with our injury ridden team. About the 'heart and soul' bit, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree really, as I felt the team really did try their all. Arsenal were definitely the better team for longer periods in the game, apart from the 20 minute or so spell when Porto scored their 2nd goal.

Clichy. You're being far too harsh on the man. He's been out for a solid 4-5 months and with each game he's played since, there's been a vast improvement. Think back to the Man Utd game and then this one. You must surely see the vast improvement - his movement is much sharper, he reads the game quicker. There's also the other minor point of the fact we have no-one in the squad to replace him.

I concur that Fabregas had a fairly average game (did the job, nevertheless, apart from the few stray passes and his poor, poor crossing), but I totally disagree with you about Denilson. Denilson played brilliantly today, one of his best performances for a while. The man is a defensive midfielder, he's not looking for those killer passes to Fabregas and to get the game forward. Sure, it would be a plus for him to do that every now and again, but that's not the way he's built. His job is to protect the back 4 and pass the safest ball; whether that's back to the defence is his prerogorative. He showed grit and desire, especially in the second half and also made vital tackles that helped us not concede.

Bendtner is not ****. I know you're probably sick of hearing this, but he's young and inexperienced! He can finally get a good amount of continuous matches under his belt. Already, he looks twice the player he used to be. Second half he dwindled away after not getting any balls, but first half, he came out strong. Bendtner does enough from the right and will offer us enough through the middle but needs games for developing his own sharpness after a long lay-off.

Lastly, I don't understand all the Fabianski hate. He's our back-up keeper meaning all he literally does is warm our bench. He doesn't even play in the reserves in case the first team need him, meaning the guy doesn't experience matches and is just thrown into the deep end. He plays once every 10 games and people throw a fit that he's not 'good enough' to play for Arsenal.

Again, we will beat them at the Emirates; it's all a learning curve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    I really don't see the problem with the freekick (unless of course it doesn't work in your favour then naturally the sky will start falling... but I digress). It's the referee's perogative whether he makes you wait for the whistle or not. Be alert and get ready to defend immeadiately (amazing how in most other ball sports this is a given but in football the "Not Fair" card always comes out). The freekick is given to the offensive team after all, not the defensive team.
    The referee was talking to Sol Campbell, with his back to play. He had no way of knowing whether the ball was moving, the freekick was legal and every other ref I have ever seen award a freekick, has had the decency to watch it.

You are just being purposefully obstinate to the fact that there were serious questions surrounding not only the award, but the resultant freekick that took place.

Get a clue.

ReputationRep:
    The ref did have a mare, it's almost as if he deliberately turns to block Campbell off. Can't see the freekick which is taken a couple of feet further on from the incident and doesn't even have his arm up to signal it's indirect, as schoolboy as Fabianski

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of how the referee dealt with the freekick, we should have never allowed it.

Fabianski didn't communicate at all, which I can deal with, as the game is fast paced and anything can happen. However, to commit the passback error, give the referee the ball and take your eyes off it simply makes Almunia look like a world class GK.

Where was the rest of the team after Porto's counter - I only saw Fabianski and Sol, which just goes to show the team haven't learned anything since that magnificent Man Utd counterattack.

Bendtner was nonexistent today and we had about 0% possession in a peroid of the second half for a good 20 minutes. You can blame the fact that we're missing Gallas, RVP, Arshavin and Song, blame it all you want, but it'll get us no where.

In spite of that, there were some pleasing performances, Campbell, had a beast of a game, as did Diaby. Sagna and Clichy were pretty solid but need to be able to track back and cover their position if they're moving up the wing. Apart from being hacked to the ground every 5 minutes, Cesc had a good game, for a moment I thought we were playing at the Britannia or at the Reebok. Denilson was very average to say the least and only tracked back about 3 times, and Nasri really does need to toughen up, he was being brushed aside far too easily. Vermaelen was solid for the most part and apparently, Vela came on the pitch at one point, can someone confirm this because the only time I saw him was when he came off the bench and went onto the field. Rosicky did alright, but lacked another gear in his game.

Overall, there were some pleasing performances from individual players, but collectively for 3/5 of the match, we were simply not there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    I really don't see the problem with the freekick (unless of course it doesn't work in your favour then naturally the sky will start falling... but I digress). It's the referee's perogative whether he makes you wait for the whistle or not. Be alert and get ready to defend immeadiately (amazing how in most other ball sports this is a given but in football the "Not Fair" card always comes out). The freekick is given to the offensive team after all, not the defensive team.
    perogative/discretion/whatever, but the fact of the matter is that the referee was an obstacle to Sol Campbell's attempt to intercept the free-kick, the pass that resulted in Falcao, or whatever his name was, slotting the ball into the net. Goal shouldn't have stood IMO. Campbell did eventually become alert and tried to defend but when the referee gets in your way, it makes things rather impossible really. Can't defend when you're being obstructed in such a manner!

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if this morning's papers will manage to totally miss the point and instead decide to focus their entire column lengths to Cesc to Barca drivel? :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I imagine there will be a dejected-looking picture of Campbell or Fabianski on the back, actually. Probably with a headline reading "Fabbergasted!" or something stupid like that.

ReputationRep:
    If I wa Fabianski I would've booted the ball out the stadium and taken a yellow for dissent, at least it would've given time to defend :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_Lawton)
    If I wa Fabianski I would've booted the ball out the stadium and taken a yellow for dissent, at least it would've given time to defend :P
    It's all very well saying that in hindsight, but the ref summoned Fabianski to give him the ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I imagine there will be a dejected-looking picture of Campbell or Fabianski on the back, actually. Probably with a headline reading "Fabbergasted!" or something stupid like that.
    The headlines in Spain today are actually more hilarious than you could possibly imagine today. Apparently Barça are going to sign none other than John O'Shea. I know he's a decent player now, but really? There's also a biographical piece on cesc. Nothing to do with the transfer just his interests and the like. Fairly interesting read actually. The headline reads "Nosotros Tenemos a Cesc Fabregas" (we've got Cesc Fabregas) in reference to our song and NOT that they've signed him. Of course this will be quoted by the sun and mirror at some point.

ReputationRep:
    We can't really complain about last nights goal.
    Because we've scored goals similiar to that, and have had the same complaints thrown at us.

ReputationRep:
    Both barrels, one in each foot. Would've taken 2-1 at half 7 last night but not in that manner.
    Flapianski had an absolute mare; backpasses in football is equivalent to getting run out in cricket, cardinal sin, unforgiveable - we have an absolute dearth of consistent goalkeepers at the moment. Oh and the first goal.. :hmmm:

Still, I'm confident we can roll them over at the Emirates, scoring 3 at least. Just irritating that's its a fortnight away - though we should have more players back to replace the ones we'll no doubt lose to injury.

ReputationRep:
    I find it strange to feel relieved that we should have almunia back in goal, this shows how desperate our goalkeeping situation is, I can't believe they both perform so consistantly badly.

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound stupid but why actually is there a backpass rule in football? Was it brought in later on like the offside rule or has it been there from the beginning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_Lawton)
    This is going to sound stupid but why actually is there a backpass rule in football? Was it brought in later on like the offside rule or has it been there from the beginning?
    It was brought in in the 90s, IIRC, mainly to encourage a flowing game of football. Imagine if the keeper could pick the ball up every time it was passed back to him, it also encourages attacking play in a way.....

EDIT: Wiki about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    It was brought in in the 90s, IIRC, mainly to encourage a flowing game of football. Imagine if the keeper could pick the ball up every time it was passed back to him, it also encourages attacking play in a way.....

EDIT: Wiki about it.
    Ah right, suppose it makes sense. Also lol @ the Ireland keeper having the bool in his area for 6 minutes. Guess that would be quite boring to watch :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm becoming immune to losing

ReputationRep:
    We just have to make sure that our goalkeeper (whichever tard is played) isn't as poor at the emirates, concede 2 goals and we need to score four, now that isn't so easy...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.