Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_Lawton)
    Ah right, suppose it makes sense. Also lol @ the Ireland keeper having the bool in his area for 6 minutes. Guess that would be quite boring to watch :p:
    Bonner was an awesome dribbler. :yep:

He also wasn't bad at saving penalties.

ReputationRep:
    Vito Mannone is pretty good

ReputationRep:
    Mannone's match-winning performance against Fulham aside, he has looked quite shakey. From what I've read and heard, I'm convinced our best keeper is out on loan in division 2.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, Szczesny is absolutely fantastic at Brentford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    The headlines in Spain today are actually more hilarious than you could possibly imagine today. Apparently Barça are going to sign none other than John O'Shea. I know he's a decent player now, but really? There's also a biographical piece on cesc. Nothing to do with the transfer just his interests and the like. Fairly interesting read actually. The headline reads "Nosotros Tenemos a Cesc Fabregas" (we've got Cesc Fabregas) in reference to our song and NOT that they've signed him. Of course this will be quoted by the sun and mirror at some point.

I don't know if you've seen this. But it's even funnier.

ReputationRep:
    with regards to Clichy, what you all have to remember is that there arent many left backs around his level of ability that arent old as well or hideously unattainable- its so hard for teams to field good ones. he is a very good player, he just needs time to re adjust to playing again, because i dont really see who we could bring in.....Riise anyone?? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    I don't know if you've seen this. But it's even funnier.
    :lol:

Barça's defence isn't great but not THAT bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richiboi)
    with regards to Clichy, what you all have to remember is that there arent many left backs around his level of ability that arent old as well or hideously unattainable- its so hard for teams to field good ones. he is a very good player, he just needs time to re adjust to playing again, because i dont really see who we could bring in.....Riise anyone?? :P
    Clichy is good but not world class. He's no Evra, no Cole. He's no Lahm. But - he's good, young, pacy and with a bit of confidence can improve.

I don't think LB is Arsenal's biggest problem by any means. Sagna is an excellent fullback on the other side, and really you guys should be discussing what new CMs and CFs you need, as Denilson, Diaby, Bentner, Walcott et al have let you down time and time again this season.

They will probably improve with time but if your ambitions are the title you need quality replacements.

Of course this is all just my opinion - I'm not an Arsenal fan nor am I even a "huge" football fan so I may be way off the mark - but from watching you a bit over the season they're my thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Clichy is good but not world class. He's no Evra, no Cole. He's no Lahm. But - he's good, young, pacy and with a bit of confidence can improve.

Exactly so-but what i am saying is that only the really top teams have world-class left backs- evra and cole spring to mind- Lahm is RB int he?:cool: I suppose if wenger didnt have a phobia of spending money, Michel Bastos would be good.

I don't think LB is Arsenal's biggest problem by any means. Sagna is an excellent fullback on the other side, and really you guys should be discussing what new CMs and CFs you need, as Denilson, Diaby, Bentner, Walcott et al have let you down time and time again this season.
    i agree with some, but Diaby?? he has been doing good work for us. Hopefully, we will get Chamakh in the summer, we will be ok for strikers- or look for Huntelaar, etc. In Midfield, we do need just one more, ready made quality player, a good passer such in the mould of Pirlo or Felipe Melo would be an upgrade from Denilson.
    They will probably improve with time but if your ambitions are the title you need quality replacements.

Of course this is all just my opinion - I'm not an Arsenal fan nor am I even a "huge" football fan so I may be way off the mark - but from watching you a bit over the season they're my thoughts.

opinions in bold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richiboi)
    opinions in bold.
    Lahm can play on either side. Maybe primarily a RB but certainly a better LB than Clichy.

Bastos often plays as a LW more than LB...he's a very, very attacking player. I actually think I'd prefer Clichy to him!

I take back what I said, I think what you really need is a new keeper - but we all know how hard they are to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Lahm can play on either side. Maybe primarily a RB but certainly a better LB than Clichy.

Bastos often plays as a LW more than LB...he's a very, very attacking player. I actually think I'd prefer Clichy to him!

I take back what I said, I think what you really need is a new keeper - but we all know how hard they are to get.

Eboue is quite attacking as well, but he gets stuck in and doesnt forget to help Sagna out.
    with regards to netties, have you seen Guillermo Ochoa of Mexico? if not, search "superman ochoa" on youtube. should be arsenals next keeper IMO. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    perogative/discretion/whatever, but the fact of the matter is that the referee was an obstacle to Sol Campbell's attempt to intercept the free-kick, the pass that resulted in Falcao, or whatever his name was, slotting the ball into the net. Goal shouldn't have stood IMO. Campbell did eventually become alert and tried to defend but when the referee gets in your way, it makes things rather impossible really. Can't defend when you're being obstructed in such a manner!
    You could look at it like that or you could say that Sol Campbell ran straight into the referee. As soon as the free-kick was given, Sol was looking at the ground for a good few seconds, if he was looking up and saw where the referee was and where the ball was this wouldn't have happened. But I do agree to a certain extent that the referee's positioning was poor.

ReputationRep:
    I watched the Rosicky incident again, and I still can't understand how it wasn't given. Referees seem so reluctant to give us penalties after the Eduardo incident, I think we've had 1 since, which was missed by Fabregas anyway

ReputationRep:
    New Post- Not Such A Bad Result

http://rantraveandriot.wordpress.com/

ReputationRep:
    Nice piece, as per usual. The only thing I'd pick out is the fact that the second leg is three weeks away.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question about away tickets guys.
    I want to get the away Birmingham tickets, I have 2 silver members (if I don't go through the exchange), and one is in my name the other is in the name of not the person who will be coming with.
    Obviously at Arsenal you can just give your card for your mate to swipe through, but assuming they will be paper tickets are they strict on the names/gender??
    Cheers

ReputationRep:

http://rantraveandriot.wordpress.com/

Good post, but I can't understand the logic behind losing 2-1 being better than drawing 0-0. Any result that would put you through after losing the first leg 2-1 would put you through if you drew the first leg 0-0. The only difference between the scorlines is that another 0-0 would send it to extra time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GunnerMT)
    Quick question about away tickets guys.
    I want to get the away Birmingham tickets, I have 2 silver members (if I don't go through the exchange), and one is in my name the other is in the name of not the person who will be coming with.
    Obviously at Arsenal you can just give your card for your mate to swipe through, but assuming they will be paper tickets are they strict on the names/gender??
    Cheers
    They'll be paper tickets, it doesn't matter which cards you used, once you have the tickets in your hand you can give them to anybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    Good post, but I can't understand the logic behind losing 2-1 being better than drawing 0-0. Any result that would put you through after losing the first leg 2-1 would put you through if you drew the first leg 0-0. The only difference between the scorlines is that another 0-0 would send it to extra time.
    I think it's just the mentality of the players on the night, knowing that they must win will probably help us to perform better.

ReputationRep:
    The headlines in Spain today are actually more hilarious than you could possibly imagine today. Apparently Barça are going to sign none other than John O'Shea. I know he's a decent player now, but really?
    Even if they were interested I'd doubt he or the manager would want him to leave. He's our first choice right-back and is totally comfortable playing anywhere along the back four or in central midfield. His injury has been a big loss for us.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.