Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Rob, the man is in denial about certain things.

I'd agree with you on Fabianski. Jokes aside I'm not suggesting getting rid. Almunia however has had an awful lot longer and just look at the body language between him and his defence. They wouldn't trust him to open a tin of ******* sardines. That is seriously bad karma so to speak, to have in a side all too often criticised for poor defensive displays. Heck even I think Clichy may very well end up playing like his old self if he knows the bloke behind him is actually more a goalkeeper and less an armless window cleaner. Trust just goes out the window with this guy.

How you can say there is nothing seriously wrong with him defies belief tbh. He's the worst Arsenal no. 1 in living memory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)

I'd agree with you on Fabianski. Jokes aside I'm not suggesting getting rid. Almunia however has had an awful lot longer and just look at the body language between him and his defence. They wouldn't trust him to open a tin of ******* sardines. That is seriously bad karma so to speak, to have in a side all too often criticised for poor defensive displays. Heck even I think Clichy may very well end up playing like his old self if he knows the bloke behind him is actually more a goalkeeper and less an armless window cleaner. Trust just goes out the window with this guy.

How you can say there is nothing seriously wrong with him defies belief tbh. He's the worst Arsenal no. 1 in living memory.
    You need to keep the metaphors related to footballers playing positions. Keepers don't "open" anything.

Ngog couldn't finish a ****
    Fabianski couldn't save a puppy

etc

I agree with the rest of it though And Clichy isn't that bad, is he?

ReputationRep:
    :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    :indiff:
    I take back what I said about Ngog with regards to the Liverpool game.

(Fabianski statement still stands though)

ReputationRep:
    Sardines :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I do like some heated debate between the Arse Socs finest tbh :sexface:

ReputationRep:

Almunia is not a world beater, he makes a few errors in judgement... but he isn't a serious liability.

I can think of few real howlers from him this season, while Fabianski has two in his last two games, the latter of which has never befallen Almunia.

To look at the guy, he is a very strong shot-stopper, has a decent ability at coming for crosses, and is always off his line to clear balls into the channels if our wingbacks get caught out (within reason).

In absolute honesty, we do not have a goalkeeper or defensive personnel on the whole that are notably less able than the rest of the big four and big european sides... we just do not have a defensively disciplined strategy.

We go out there to outscore opponents, and had we better incision and finishing sometimes, we would drub them.

It is in the nature of being an Arsenal goallie or centerback that you will face pressure considerably higher than if you play for Chelsea... your midfield will simply not offer the same protection.

So on that basis I would argue we concede more through our efforts to play a ruthlessly attacking game than we do any particularly rubbish defensive players.

I think Almunia being as bad as everyone suggests has to be a myth, because watching him week in week out, he's more than stable almost all of the time. Not sure what everyone expects tbf...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I might get hounded for this but any of you guys regret not going for Given? Not sure how much he would have cost but may be in hindsight it might have been worth it? Not sure you'd get Akinfeev because it's CSKA Moscow, so Lloris looks like the only predictable solution, and he may well be more expensive than what Given might have been.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I agree. Given cost £5.9million, despite our manager holding out for £8 million :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    In absolute honesty, we do not have a goalkeeper or defensive personnel on the whole that are notably less able than the rest of the big four and big european sides... we just do not have a defensively disciplined strategy.
    Well, yes. But some players' performances have fallen off a cliff. I thought Almunia was quite good when he took over from Lehmann in '07. I thought he was solid last season. And when he sucked **** at the start of this season, I was hoping it was just a bad run of form...but it has gone on too long now. He was never a 'world beater', you're right...but he was winning fans for doing the simple things right. These days, he isn't even doing that.

And WTF is up with Clichy. It's true that we're not defensively disciplined as a unit but specific individual errors are plenty. The number of times Clichy has been fully raped by a pacey winger is ridiculous. Who was that black guy (oooh racist!) who tore Clichy a new hole in the first half hour? After he swapped wings, he could do **** all against Sagna.

It is in the nature of being an Arsenal goallie or centerback that you will face pressure considerably higher than if you play for Chelsea... your midfield will simply not offer the same protection.
    Very true. Now that Diaby's dead, we've only got Song who can protect the back four. FFS we really need to give Ramsey a run out. That guy knows the score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Now that Diaby's dead, we've only got Song who can protect the back four. FFS we really need to give Ramsey a run out. That guy knows the score.
    One more yellow and it's a two match ban :teehee:

Sol in the DM position as cover :coma:

ReputationRep:
    buy Guillermo Ochoa :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    buy Guillermo Ochoa :coma:
    He is a god on FM :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Tactically I would not decry your suggestions Rob. Far from it. I'd actively support them. We play very naively in defensive terms and the rear line is, in honesty, in some state of flux right now. That I am hardly missing.

Almunia is a typical Wenger keeper in that he's primarily a shot stopper. Again, agreed. However, to look at him individually for a moment, any comparisons with keepers that the other top four possess are frankly comical. Almunia is the kind of keeper to do a reasonably stable job as per the ambitions of a mid table to European challenging side. He's not the worst keeper in the country. Such would be a foolish analysis. But to suggest he's good enough for Arsenal's ambitions, ah, that's another matter imo. Simply "good enough" should not be good enough for Arsenal Football Club and in that position it's just ******* stupid. There is no more exposed a player on the pitch, none more integral to defensive discipline and psychology, and if you don't get it right you are fighting the tide. Sure, a decent side in a relatively poor league may carry a keeper like that to a crown if you're lucky, but don't kid yourself in thinking it's nominal.

Aaron - Given was off the table as soon as City made a move, which I'm sure we both know. He would have been a superior option to what we have, I can say that.

Akinfeev I have had a soft spot for some while, but would cost Wenger not merely an arm and a leg but his right nut too.

Lloris. Ah. Most likely possibility imo. I would be quite, quite happy to go into next season with him as a single purchase provided we retained the rest of the squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V1NY)
    He is a god on FM :coma:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHolIsV0ZGg

even in real!

Lloris would cost too much for Arsenal i feel..

ReputationRep:

Akinfeev I have had a soft spot for some while, but would cost Wenger not merely an arm and a leg but his right nut too.

Lloris. Ah. Most likely possibility imo. I would be quite, quite happy to go into next season with him as a single purchase provided we retained the rest of the squad.
    Neuer is pretty damn good. Imagine a strong German accent shouting at Clichy for most of the afternoon, that'd make him **** his pants, tbpfh. There'd be none of this 'lets shake hands because you did your job' nonsense, he'd just shout at them to get back into position. I'd wager that he'd probably scare Vermaelen too, tbh. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Aaron - Given was off the table as soon as City made a move, which I'm sure we both know. He would have been a superior option to what we have, I can say that.
    Are you sure? I'm not sure how much of an attempt Arsenal did, if at all, with Given. He would have had a great chance to win the CL if he went to Arsenal. I know everyone needs to make a living and most of us love money, though this is often surpressed, but after you've earned a fair bit honours have even more importance than more money surely?

Lloris speaks the right language. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    There is a long list of GKs that could do better than what we have now. We don't need a £20m+ GK to solve our problems, FM style. Reina at Pool has shown us there is only so much a keeper can do. And Barcelona with their 7 trophies have shown us the role of the GK is overplayed. We just need a decent keeper who can be relied on. I reckon £8-12m should be enough to get a decent keeper. They don't necessarily need to be a big name. No need for knee-jerk reactions.
    Valdes isn't as bad as people make out, tbh.

A good goalkeeper is essential imo. Look at United, all that success while Schmeichel was there, then the Barthez years and the Carroll/Howard years :facepalm: saw a fairly average few years by our standards, before getting VDS and winning the league 3 times.

Obviously there are many other factors but a good, reliable keeper is essential to a title winning team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Are you sure? I'm not sure how much of an attempt Arsenal did, if at all, with Given. He would have had a great chance to win the CL if he went to Arsenal. I know everyone needs to make a living and most of us love money, though this is often surpressed, but after you've earned a fair bit honours have even more importance than more money surely?

Lloris speaks the right language. :p:
    I think Given was more than aware he only has 3 or 4 years left in him and would much rather have a nice pension to live off than be bothered about trophies.

He is a player who definitely deserves a trophy though. Hasn't he only won an Inter-Toto Cup or something?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.