Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    Chelsea would have to **** up pretty badly for us to win the title then lol, still another 2 games, if we do win it'll come down to the very last game.
    This will sound bizarre but hear me out on this one:

I want Spurs to get to the FA Cup Semis. Our game against them is scheduled for semi final weekend. If they get there it will most likely be rearranged for midweek before the final game of the season. This could set up an unlikely league winning possibility against spurs! Sol Campbell will then rise for the winner setting a picture something like this at ***** hart lane:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    Chelsea would have to **** up pretty badly for us to win the title then lol, still another 2 games, if we do win it'll come down to the very last game.
    The City game is the second to last game of the season, i think. We need to sort our goal difference tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    Cheers! :yy: I'll be ready. He's not world class but he's decent. Probably better than Clichy TBH. But I supposed compared to Dani Alves he does look a helluva lot better :rolleyes:
    Don't get him started on the Alves one :eek3: that will be an even bigger argument than the Abidal one :p:

Although tbf - I think Alves is the perfect La Liga 'right back' and he is incredibly productive for Barca. He was probably the difference between their team last year and the team the season before. As his attacking forays meant defenders had to mark him and couldn't double up on Messi, allowing Messi the freedom to cut inside relatively unmarked.

On the Abidal one, I do think he is much better than Clichy but in a weird twist I think each of them would be better suited to the opposite league and would both look much better players if they swapped leagues.

ReputationRep:
    Man, I'm glad Silvestre is gone by the summer! What a ********

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Don't get him started on the Alves one :eek3: that will be an even bigger argument than the Abidal one :p:

Although tbf - I think Alves is the perfect La Liga 'right back' and he is incredibly productive for Barca. He was probably the difference between their team last year and the team the season before. As his attacking forays meant defenders had to mark him and couldn't double up on Messi, allowing Messi the freedom to cut inside relatively unmarked.

On the Abidal one, I do think he is much better than Clichy but in a weird twist I think each of them would be better suited to the opposite league and would both look much better players if they swapped leagues.
    Hahaha. Agreed about the "La Liga right back". It works fine in their league but in the premiership he'd get exploited week in week out.

I've been to the Camp Nou 4 times this year and watched them pretty much every week so I've got my ammunition. Funnily enough out of those 4 times they've lost twice. :teehee:

(Original post by Volff)
    Man, I'm glad Silvestre is gone by the summer! What a ********
    Thanks for that very well structured argument.

ReputationRep:
    So, is Silvestre definitely going in the summer?

I like Utd being underdogs this season, it should be an interesting run-in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    So, is Silvestre definitely going in the summer?

I like Utd being underdogs this season, it should be an interesting run-in.
    Most likely, it seems: http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/21...lling-out-with

Anything else would be a tragedy. He's such a mediocre defender! Miscalculates almost every situation. what was wenger thinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volff)
    Most likely, it seems: http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/21...lling-out-with

Anything else would be a tragedy. He's such a mediocre defender! Miscalculates almost every situation. what was wenger thinking?

Firstly, never trust goal.com.

Secondly, Silvestre was a cheap stop-gap to help the transition last January until we got Vermaelen. He is by no means a 'mediocre' defender. Just like Denilson, Vela and co he is a useful squad player and quite versatile for a defender. Considering his vast experience at the top level he was a good piece of business, really.

It is his time to leave though. Hopefully the bad injury he sustained won't be detrimental to the progress of Johan Djourou, because he was looking like a top-quality defender when called upon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Firstly, never trust goal.com.

Secondly, Silvestre was a cheap stop-gap to help the transition last January until we got Vermaelen. He is by no means a 'mediocre' defender. Just like Denilson, Vela and co he is a useful squad player and quite versatile for a defender. Considering his vast experience at the top level he was a good piece of business, really.

It is his time to leave though. Hopefully the bad injury he sustained won't be detrimental to the progress of Johan Djourou, because he was looking like a top-quality defender when called upon.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I don't trust Goal.com But He is likely to leave anyhow.
    And i really don't think he's better than mediocre NOW, with his performance last saturday fresh in mind. He really lacks pace and tactical skills. But as you say, practical back before Vermaelen came, and showed how it's done!

ReputationRep:
    Where the hell is Djourou, anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    He bust either his knee or back back in September and was 'out for 6 months' at the time.

He should be back in about 6 weeks, but I doubt we'll use him until next season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    Johan Djourou
    February 22
    Johan suffered a knee injury while on international duty in August and is expected to return to action in two months time. "It is still two months for Johan," said Wenger on Thursday, February 4. "We have to be patient with him. He is working well and progressing well. But he is not an immediate resource."

From Arsenal.com.

ReputationRep:
    According to PhysioRoom.com he has a knee injury and is expected back on April 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. ^

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha. Agreed about the "La Liga right back". It works fine in their league but in the premiership he'd get exploited week in week out.

I've been to the Camp Nou 4 times this year and watched them pretty much every week so I've got my ammunition. Funnily enough out of those 4 times they've lost twice. :teehee:

Thanks for that very well structured argument.
    I've yet to see our wing backs getting exploited against English teams, they are far to busy pegged back in their own half trying to get the ball.

On Abidal, he's not better than Evra or Cole however if anyone has been watching him regularly this season will know that he's pretty much back to his best, one of the best fullbacks in the game tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Despite Djourou's physical qualities, he was another one who showed lapses in concentration, Denilson-esque.
    We need highly focused defenders, like Vermaelen/Gallas, but taller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    I've yet to see our wing backs getting exploited against English teams, they are far to busy pegged back in their own half trying to get the ball.

On Abidal, he's not better than Evra or Cole however if anyone has been watching him regularly this season will know that he's pretty much back to his best, one of the best fullbacks in the game tbh.
    I mean playing for one of the big 4 teams over here. The reason he is effective for Barca is because they are an attacking machine and he has Messi ahead of him so more often than not the winger of the opposing team is forced to stay back to cope with him, allowing Dani Alves the space to come forward. I mean as a winger/wing back would you be willing to pile forward leaving acres of space for Messi to break into? Nobody over here has a good enough right winger for Dani Alves to play in front of to allow his attacking instincts to flourish.

ReputationRep:
    I mean playing for one of the big 4 teams over here. The reason he is effective for Barca is because they are an attacking machine and he has Messi ahead of him so more often than not the winger of the opposing team is forced to stay back to cope with him, allowing Dani Alves the space to come forward. I mean as a winger/wing back would you be willing to pile forward leaving acres of space for Messi to break into? Nobody over here has a good enough right winger for Dani Alves to play in front of to allow his attacking instincts to flourish.
    I understand what you mean but remember he was just as effective for Sevilla. Alves is a phenomenal player, his stamina is unreal and he really does work hard in both defence and attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    I understand what you mean but remember he was just as effective for Sevilla. Alves is a phenomenal player, his stamina is unreal and he really does work hard in both defence and attack.
    I don't think anybody is arguing that, it is just that he is more suited to La Liga than the Premier League. Whilst he would be good over here, he would not be as supremely effective as he is in La Liga.

It's like Glen Johnson would be much more effective over in Spain than here because his game is suited to the way full backs are used over there. As an attacking outlet first and a defender second.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.