Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanuel_arsenalfc)
    it wasnt a bad tackle imo..we're just unlucky again
    I think it was just a poor tackle. For some reason I feel very sorry for Shawcross in a way I never felt for Taylor. I'm still so upset. Off to watch some mindless Saturday night telly and try to take my mind of this nonsense and shake off my unhappiness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GunnerArshavin)
    We must seek (big) compensation from Stoke, Shawcross should receive a lengthy ban. But the only way you will get these reckless challenges out of the game is to ban the player for the same length of time injured player is out for. And perhaps also have the club of the offending player pay the injured players wages whilst he is out.
    You're over reacting. You can't seek compensation for an accident. It wasn't that awful a tackle.

ReputationRep:
    The win seems relatively unimportant tbh. I am absolutely gutted for Ramsay but atleast they boys won the game for him. Shawncross' tackle didn't look to bad and he was quiet distraught but I haven't seen the replays so I'm reserving judgement.

3 points behind and with a comparatively easy run of games:dontknow: anything could happen.

ReputationRep:
    Gutted for Ramsay, and also slightly sympathetic for Shawcross.

ReputationRep:
    bad bad bad injury. The initial tackle looked innocuous but everyone could see the severity of the injury straight away. Hopefully the quick response will get him back playing as quickly as possible.

The response was tremendous though, could tell what it meant to the team. Cescs celebration was a class touch as well

ReputationRep:
    We must seek (big) compensation from Stoke, Shawcross should receive a lengthy ban. But the only way you will get these reckless challenges out of the game is to ban the player for the same length of time injured player is out for. And perhaps also have the club of the offending player pay the injured players wages whilst he is out.
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    Why? Shawcross will miss 3 games, Ramsey's career prospects just took a nosedive. I'm not trying to paint Shawcross a villain here but seriously??
    Are you honestly emotionally dense enough to not appreciate the psychological effects that that could have on a player?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    Didn't he say he'd quit if they lost today?
    Haha yep and he's got even more reason to quit now.

ReputationRep:
    From the small amount of clips and pictures that I've seen it was more of an unfortunate accident than anything malicious. Shawcross leaving the field in tears tells you enough to know that it wasn't intentional.

I've only seen the incident in real-time and as such would have deemed the tackle no more than a bookable offence, but with an injury that severe it requires a significant level of force, which is probably why the ref pulled out the red.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. It wasn't something that Ryan meant to do, so a massive punishment won't prevent another 'accident' will it? A year out for him won't make him a better footballer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I think it was just a poor tackle. For some reason I feel very sorry for Shawcross in a way I never felt for Taylor. I'm still so upset. Off to watch some mindless Saturday night telly and try to take my mind of this nonsense and shake off my unhappiness.
    I agree, the reason probably being because Taylor completely launched himself directly into Eduardo's leg. That one was a horrendous tackle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    You're over reacting. You can't seek compensation for an accident. It wasn't that awful a tackle.

it wasn't awful......... it was ******* horrendous

The thug Shawcross should not be allowed to play football ever again. To me he's akin to a drunk driver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I don't know why but I feel like that as well. He just looked horrified at what he'd done, knowing he's going to get demolished for an accident.

But then again, if you're going to go in like that, you have to suffer the consequences. People should know that poor tackles aren't things like poor shots or a poor pass, it can ruin careers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulcan to the Sky)
    it wasn't awful......... it was ******* horrendous

The thug Shawcross should not be allowed to play football ever again. To me he's akin to a drunk driver
    I would find this comedic if it wasn't in such an awful context.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really know what you can say. I don't blame Shawcross, I don't blame Pulis. I blame the FA and referees. I've said for ages that it's time we stop crying about ugly challenges and start breaking legs ourselves...and people think I'm not being serious. This will keep on happening. Diaby, first. Then it was Eduardo. Now it's Ramsey. Next it'll be Fabregas or Song. There is no incentives for Martin Taylor's and Ryan Shawcross' to not break legs. Do I think he intended to break Ramsey's leg? Of course not. But I think he was trying to do what Stoke were doing all game -- 'roughen Arsenal up', and with that there's a risk this will happen. Cesc's interview was spot on. He said he understands that this is England and the English game involves physical battles, but there should be a ceiling. There isn't a ceiling. Players can do whatever the **** they want. And it's time we start doing the same. If we want to stop getting kicked, we have to kick back. ****in' simples.

Anyway, great character from the lads.

The way 07/08 was supposed to end.

We're ****ing doing this.

Come on the mighty gunners.

ReputationRep:
    I am really really upset by what happened to Aaron today.

It is symptomatic of a real problem we've been shouting about for ages, as has Arsene.... with teams kicking us, going in brutally and frankly... it is beyond the time for some action to be taken.

Fair enough he didn't mean it, and was sorry, but it's reckless and nasty crap that overshadows all the good things we could have celebrated today.

Now I am left more wanting to cry than cheer. What a dark day.

I hope the best for Aaron, and that he can bounce back next season and be the awesome player he can be.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way you'll get these reckless challenges out of the game.

Anyway, I thought Arsenal deserved the win though the penalty was a bit dodgy. Despite this result, I'll still be very surprised if they win the title because their run-in isn't as straightforward as they seem to think and there are no easy games in football.

The best I've ever seen Eboue play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanShawcross)
    aha judgement day

all of your lot play the ball on the ground too much like
    not helping progress of British footie imo

in 20 years i wanna see 6 ft 10inch ugly defenders heading ball back and forth with 6ft 11inch fowards not some midgets from france passing it around on the deck like

we at The Brit always keep it up in the air we have air traffic control at The Brit since new year
    thats why we uneabtean haha

GWARN STOKE

IF WE GET BEATEN TODAY I WILL QUIT TSR
    bye bye then ,you idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    I don't know why but I feel like that as well. He just looked horrified at what he'd done, knowing he's going to get demolished for an accident.

But then again, if you're going to go in like that, you have to suffer the consequences. People should know that poor tackles aren't things like poor shots or a poor pass, it can ruin careers
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not commenting yet because the adrenalin is still high. I'll prob save it for the blog tomorrow but what I will say is that was a performance of champions. To pick yourself up and win the game after a team mate and friend breaks a leg is a big big thing. Shows how much we have grown in 2 years.

I'd love to hear Jizzers view now we're only 3 pts of the top.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.